2.2 up on SourceForge !

oti-3
Charlie,

BIG thanks for the 2.2 release !

For me It is almost unbelievable, after all these years ....

And many many thanks to all of you who helped out !

Oti.

Re: 2.2 up on SourceForge !

Frank Cohen
Congratulations to everyone! This is a huge milestone to an excellent
project! Well done. -Frank

On Aug 22, 2007, at 10:41 PM, Oti wrote:

> Charlie,
>
> BIG thanks for the 2.2 release !
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12867
>
> For me It is almost unbelievable, after all these years ....
>
> And many many thanks to all of you who helped out !
>
> Oti.

Frank Cohen, PushToTest, http://www.PushToTest.com, phone 408 374 7426
TestMaker: The open-source SOA test automation tool

Re: 2.2 up on SourceForge !

rajesh battala-2
Congratulation to all the contributors.
its gr8 we have achieved the a good milestone..

Congratulations to everyone! This is a huge milestone to an excellent
project! Well done. -Frank

On Aug 22, 2007, at 10:41 PM, Oti wrote:

> Charlie,
>
> BIG thanks for the 2.2 release !
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12867
>
> For me It is almost unbelievable, after all these years ....
>
> And many many thanks to all of you who helped out !
>
> Oti.

Frank Cohen, PushToTest, http://www.PushToTest.com, phone 408 374 7426
TestMaker: The open-source SOA test automation tool

Re: 2.2 up on SourceForge !

Charlie Groves
I ran out of time after building and uploading the installer last
night, so I just updated the website now.  It's done!  If anyone has a
mountain top from where they can proclaim it, this would be a good
time to let some people know about Jython.

Charlie

On 8/22/07, Oti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Charlie,
>
> BIG thanks for the 2.2 release !
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12867
>
> For me It is almost unbelievable, after all these years ....
>
> And many many thanks to all of you who helped out !
>
> Oti.

Re: 2.2 up on SourceForge !

Sean McGrath
Fannnnnntastic.

Sean

Charlie Groves wrote:

> I ran out of time after building and uploading the installer last
> night, so I just updated the website now.  It's done!  If anyone has a
> mountain top from where they can proclaim it, this would be a good
> time to let some people know about Jython.
>
> Charlie
>
> On 8/22/07, Oti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Charlie,
>>
>> BIG thanks for the 2.2 release !
>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12867
>>
>> For me It is almost unbelievable, after all these years ....
>>
>> And many many thanks to all of you who helped out !
>>
>> Oti.

Re: 2.2 up on SourceForge !

Samuele Pedroni-2
Indeed, congratulations around!

On a personal level is also quite nice to see the new-style classes
effort I started getting out to the world.

Samuele.

Re: 2.2 up on SourceForge !

Raghuram Devarakonda-2
On 8/23/07, Charlie Groves <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I ran out of time after building and uploading the installer last
> night, so I just updated the website now.  It's done!  If anyone has a
> mountain top from where they can proclaim it, this would be a good
> time to let some people know about Jython.

Congratulations and thanks to every one for the great effort.

Re: 2.2 up on SourceForge !

Petr Gladkikh
Err...

Why there's no news at the Jython's sourceforge site here
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jython ?
Last item is about Jython 2.1 from 2001 ...

Anouncement can be added in Admin/News/Submit

Sourceforge's team wathces these anouncements and selects most
interesting for front page so it' is worthwhile to add something about
2.2 release.

--
Petr Gladkikh

Re: 2.2 up on SourceForge !

Charlie Groves
On 8/23/07, Petr Gladkikh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Err...
>
> Why there's no news at the Jython's sourceforge site here
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/jython ?

Because I'd forgotten that page existed.  Fixed!

Charlie

Re: 2.2 up on SourceForge !

Mehendran T
Congratulations to ALL!

It is a great achievement after almost 5 yrs...
Moreover, it is a boon to people who have been waiting for this happen...

-Mehendran

Re: 2.2 up on SourceForge !

Alan Kennedy-2
"Jython 2.2 is released": music to my ears.

All my favourite python features; iterators, generators, metaclasses,
etc; in my favourite python implementation: How cool is that?

Round of applause to all who worked so hard to make it happen!

Alan.

Oti wrote:
 > Charlie,
 >
 > BIG thanks for the 2.2 release !
 > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12867
 >
 > For me It is almost unbelievable, after all these years ....
 >
 > And many many thanks to all of you who helped out !
 >
 > Oti.

SoC 2007 Was: Re: 2.2 up on SourceForge !

Philip Jenvey-2

On Aug 23, 2007, at 11:23 AM, Alan Kennedy wrote:

> "Jython 2.2 is released": music to my ears.
>
> All my favourite python features; iterators, generators, metaclasses,
> etc; in my favourite python implementation: How cool is that?

Hurrah! To everyone involved, thanks for the hard work

Though I must admit I'm also looking forward to the main focus now
being on 2.3+ development =]

Which brings me to the question (sorry, the devs deserve a breather,
but I couldn't resist): now that Summer of Code is over, how did it
go? I saw Tobias has checked in his PyASM compiler, how did the other
projects do?

--
Philip Jenvey

Re: SoC 2007 Was: Re: 2.2 up on SourceForge !

Jim Baker
I've been evaluating Tobias Ivarsson's work as his mentor, and it's looking very good. Basically we have almost of all CPython 2.5 bytecode (PBC) compiling to Java bytecode using ASM! This is not just interesting for the possible case of importing pyc's, which can potentially have other difficulties. Because PBC is at a pretty high level (see http://docs.python.org/lib/bytecodes.html) it should not be difficult at all to use this work with respect to visiting a new 2.5 AST, when that becomes stable enough. This is because the compilation leverages existing Jython core (PyFrame, PyException, etc.), with only relatively minor changes required.

Using ASM should soon bring some other functionality. In particular, I'm interested in how we can leverage it to provide annotations via a simple decorator interface. There should be some code demonstrating this pretty soon.

Additionally, the PyASM work can compile itself (bootstrap), which is always a nice test, perhaps the classical test. (It's not quite of course, because PyASM has to only implement a subset of functionality, it can rely on existing Jython substantially, and I haven't really looked at how 2.5 it is.)

Having said that, don't expect Jython 2.5 alpha to be released too soon! At this point, we are still very much in the phase of everything barely working. And there are bugs. And the testing needs to be greatly expanded. Etc. In addition, the new compiler is only one part of 2.5.

But all in all, it's a great piece of work that Tobias should be quite proud of. Congratulations for a job well done! :)

SVN: https://jython.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/jython/branches/newcompiler/
Code browser: http://jython.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jython/branches/newcompiler/

- Jim

On 8/23/07, Philip Jenvey <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 23, 2007, at 11:23 AM, Alan Kennedy wrote:

> "Jython 2.2 is released": music to my ears.
>
> All my favourite python features; iterators, generators, metaclasses,
> etc; in my favourite python implementation: How cool is that?

Hurrah! To everyone involved, thanks for the hard work

Though I must admit I'm also looking forward to the main focus now
being on 2.3+ development =]

Which brings me to the question (sorry, the devs deserve a breather,
but I couldn't resist): now that Summer of Code is over, how did it
go? I saw Tobias has checked in his PyASM compiler, how did the other
projects do?

--
Philip Jenvey

Jim Baker

Re: SoC 2007 Was: Re: 2.2 up on SourceForge !

rajesh battala-2
hi..
i felt very happy on reading philip jenvey mail .

A very good project for jython form GSOC
thanks a lot.

I've been evaluating Tobias Ivarsson's work as his mentor, and it's looking very good. Basically we have almost of all CPython 2.5 bytecode (PBC) compiling to Java bytecode using ASM! This is not just interesting for the possible case of importing pyc's, which can potentially have other difficulties. Because PBC is at a pretty high level (see http://docs.python.org/lib/bytecodes.html) it should not be difficult at all to use this work with respect to visiting a new 2.5 AST, when that becomes stable enough. This is because the compilation leverages existing Jython core (PyFrame, PyException, etc.), with only relatively minor changes required.

Using ASM should soon bring some other functionality. In particular, I'm interested in how we can leverage it to provide annotations via a simple decorator interface. There should be some code demonstrating this pretty soon.

Additionally, the PyASM work can compile itself (bootstrap), which is always a nice test, perhaps the classical test. (It's not quite of course, because PyASM has to only implement a subset of functionality, it can rely on existing Jython substantially, and I haven't really looked at how 2.5 it is.)

Having said that, don't expect Jython 2.5 alpha to be released too soon! At this point, we are still very much in the phase of everything barely working. And there are bugs. And the testing needs to be greatly expanded. Etc. In addition, the new compiler is only one part of 2.5.

But all in all, it's a great piece of work that Tobias should be quite proud of. Congratulations for a job well done! :)

SVN: https://jython.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/jython/branches/newcompiler/
Code browser: http://jython.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jython/branches/newcompiler/

- Jim

On 8/23/07, Philip Jenvey <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 23, 2007, at 11:23 AM, Alan Kennedy wrote:

> "Jython 2.2 is released": music to my ears.
>
> All my favourite python features; iterators, generators, metaclasses,
> etc; in my favourite python implementation: How cool is that?

Hurrah! To everyone involved, thanks for the hard work

Though I must admit I'm also looking forward to the main focus now
being on 2.3+ development =]

Which brings me to the question (sorry, the devs deserve a breather,
but I couldn't resist): now that Summer of Code is over, how did it
go? I saw Tobias has checked in his PyASM compiler, how did the other
projects do?

--
Philip Jenvey

Jim Baker
[hidden email]

DELETE button is history. Unlimited mail storage is just a click away.

Re: SoC 2007 Was: Re: 2.2 up on SourceForge !

Charlie Groves
On 8/23/07, Philip Jenvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hurrah! To everyone involved, thanks for the hard work
>
> Though I must admit I'm also looking forward to the main focus now
> being on 2.3+ development =]

Not as much as I am!

> Which brings me to the question (sorry, the devs deserve a breather,
> but I couldn't resist): now that Summer of Code is over, how did it
> go? I saw Tobias has checked in his PyASM compiler, how did the other
> projects do?

Unfortunately my student went AWOL after the midterm evaluation, so
his project, adding pyhelp to jython, didn't even make it far enough
to have anything I can salvage and commit.

Charlie

Re: 2.2 up on SourceForge !

Charles Oliver Nutter-2
Oti wrote:
> Charlie,
>
> BIG thanks for the 2.2 release !
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12867
>
> For me It is almost unbelievable, after all these years ....
>
> And many many thanks to all of you who helped out !

I hadn't gotten around to saying it directly, but congratulations guys.
I'm really excited to see the 2.2 release out. Hopefully this will free
you to move faster on 2.3+ features, and this release cycle will be
significantly shorter :)

Let me know any way I can help.

- Charlie