A first time programmer

Paul Baforh
Please programmers, how do I engage django because i get syntax error i type in this code
----- $ django-admin startproject mySite -----------

Re: A first time programmer

Nathaniel David
Have you tried checking the version of your Django-admin like this: "django-admin --version" without the quotation mark. If it returns a version number, try creating a new project like this: "django-admin startproject royaltykitchen"

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 10:43 PM, Paul Baforh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please programmers, how do I engage django because i get syntax error i type in this code
----- $ django-admin startproject mySite -----------

Best regards,
John, Nathaniel David.
+2348034325030

Re: A first time programmer

James Farris

If you type this in your terminal, you should see Django==2.0.4 (or some other version)

$ pip freeze

If not, Django is not installed.

Also, what is the syntax error you are receiving?

On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 10:33:39 PM UTC, Paul Baforh wrote:
Please programmers, how do I engage django because i get syntax error i type in this code
----- $ django-admin startproject mySite -----------

Re: A first time programmer

Sherine Tresa
i am a first time user.and i don't know how to open and type code in it.
the error corrected when i typed the pip install statement in commandprompt outside.
i need to know how to start using django?

On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 9:57 AM, James Farris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

If you type this in your terminal, you should see Django==2.0.4 (or some other version)

$ pip freeze

If not, Django is not installed.

Also, what is the syntax error you are receiving?

On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 10:33:39 PM UTC, Paul Baforh wrote:
Please programmers, how do I engage django because i get syntax error i type in this code
----- $ django-admin startproject mySite -----------

Re: A first time programmer

James Farris-2
No one can walk you through how to use Django in this group. That is too much to explain.

I recommend choosing a plain text editor like Sublime Text or many others that are free in order to start working on any coding project.

Then once you have that, read the documentation and follow this tutorial written by the Django developers.

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/2.0/intro/tutorial01/

Re: A first time programmer

ansh srivastav
First check the version of python, then type :django-admin startproject projectname.

On 7 Apr 2018 04:03, "Paul Baforh" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please programmers, how do I engage django because i get syntax error i type in this code
----- $ django-admin startproject mySite -----------

Re: A first time programmer

Andréas Kühne
I would also recommend you start with a tutorial.

The django tutorial on the docs page is ok, but the djangogirls tutorial is pretty extensive - try that and you should get some of your answers at least : https://tutorial.djangogirls.org/en/

Best regards,

Andréas

First check the version of python, then type :django-admin startproject projectname.

On 7 Apr 2018 04:03, "Paul Baforh" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please programmers, how do I engage django because i get syntax error i type in this code
----- $ django-admin startproject mySite -----------

Re: A first time programmer

FranzOC

be sure about that you have installed django typing $pip freeze in your console

Re: A first time programmer

Paul Baforh
Thanks everyone for your replies so far.  I have another prob: I'm trying to create a new file (.py) in my app using vscode but I get the error "permission denied writing to file" then followed by the directory of the base file