ANN: PyQt v5.10.1 and SIP v4.19.8 Released

ANN: PyQt v5.10.1 and SIP v4.19.8 Released

Phil Thompson-5
PyQt v5.10.1 has been released, along with corresponding releases of PyQt3D, PyQtChart, PyQtDataVisualization and PyQtPurchasing. These add support for Qt v5.10.1.

SIP v4.19.8 has also been released. This is a minor bug-fix release.

Phil

Re: ANN: PyQt v5.10.1 and SIP v4.19.8 Released

Detlev Offenbach

Hi,

after upgrading to PyQt 5.10.1 via pip install --upgrade PyQt5 on Kubuntu 17.10 using a Python virtual env eric doesn't start anymore. It seems that the QtWebEngineProcess executable cannot be found (even if its directory is in the PATH). The error message is

Could not find QtWebEngineProcess
[7014:7014:0301/191325.396139:FATAL:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(182)] Check fa
iled: ReceiveFixedMessage(fds[0], kZygoteBootMessage, sizeof(kZygoteBootMess
age), &boot_pid).

What am I doing wrong?

Detlev

Am Dienstag, 27. Februar 2018, 22:56:22 CET schrieb Phil Thompson:

> PyQt v5.10.1 has been released, along with corresponding releases of PyQt3D,

> PyQtChart, PyQtDataVisualization and PyQtPurchasing. These add support for

> Qt v5.10.1.

> SIP v4.19.8 has also been released. This is a minor bug-fix release.

> Phil

Detlev Offenbach

Re: ANN: PyQt v5.10.1 and SIP v4.19.8 Released

Rex Dieter
Phil Thompson wrote:

> PyQt v5.10.1 has been released, along with corresponding releases of
> PyQt3D, PyQtChart, PyQtDataVisualization and PyQtPurchasing. These add
> support for Qt v5.10.1.
>
> SIP v4.19.8 has also been released. This is a minor bug-fix release.

sourceforge seems to be experiencing an extended outage, would it be
possible to put at least the sip sources elsewhere in the meantime?

-- Rex

Re: ANN: PyQt v5.10.1 and SIP v4.19.8 Released

Florian Bruhin
On Thu, Mar 01, 2018 at 07:17:06PM +0100, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> after upgrading to PyQt 5.10.1 via pip install --upgrade PyQt5 on Kubuntu 17.10 using a
> Python virtual env eric doesn't start anymore. It seems that the QtWebEngineProcess
> executable cannot be found (even if its directory is in the PATH). The error message is
>
> Could not find QtWebEngineProcess
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I can't reproduce this myself (even in a clean Docker container), but
someone reported the same in my repository:
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/3662

Florian

--
https://www.qutebrowser.org | [hidden email] (Mail/XMPP)

On 1 Mar 2018, at 7:42 pm, Rex Dieter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Phil Thompson wrote:
>
>> PyQt v5.10.1 has been released, along with corresponding releases of
>> PyQt3D, PyQtChart, PyQtDataVisualization and PyQtPurchasing. These add
>> support for Qt v5.10.1.
>>
>> SIP v4.19.8 has also been released. This is a minor bug-fix release.
>
> sourceforge seems to be experiencing an extended outage, would it be
> possible to put at least the sip sources elsewhere in the meantime?

I'll give them until the end of the weekend.

Phil

Re: ANN: PyQt v5.10.1 and SIP v4.19.8 Released

Phil Thompson-5

> On 1 Mar 2018, at 6:17 pm, Detlev Offenbach <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> after upgrading to PyQt 5.10.1 via pip install --upgrade PyQt5 on Kubuntu 17.10 using a Python virtual env eric doesn't start anymore. It seems that the QtWebEngineProcess executable cannot be found (even if its directory is in the PATH). The error message is
>
> Could not find QtWebEngineProcess
> [7014:7014:0301/191325.396139:FATAL:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(182)] Check fa
> iled: ReceiveFixedMessage(fds[0], kZygoteBootMessage, sizeof(kZygoteBootMess
> age), &boot_pid).
> What am I doing wrong?

I can't reproduce this. My guess is that it is starting then failing immediately.

Phil

Re: ANN: PyQt v5.10.1 and SIP v4.19.8 Released

Detlev Offenbach
Another user of eric reported the same issue via sourceforge (before they went
out). He observed it on a Mint system. I'll try it on the weekend with a self-
built variant.

On 2 Mar 2018, at 5:47 pm, Detlev Offenbach <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Another user of eric reported the same issue via sourceforge (before they went
> out). He observed it on a Mint system. I'll try it on the weekend with a self-
> built variant.

The problem will either be with the wheel package (ie. there is a something missing from the copy of Qt included in the wheel) or a problem with Qt itself. I don't build Qt - I use the copy installed using the online installer.

So the first thing I'd try is a C++ example using a separate copy of Qt from the online installer. That way you take PyQt and the wheel out of the equation.

Phil

Re: ANN: PyQt v5.10.1 and SIP v4.19.8 Released

Detlev Offenbach
Hi Phil,

the webenginewidgets examples of Qt 5.10.1 installed via the online installer/
maintenance tool work ok. I suspect something related to the wheel. What
should I check next in order to track down the issue?

Detlev

On 2 Mar 2018, at 6:21 pm, Detlev Offenbach <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> the webenginewidgets examples of Qt 5.10.1 installed via the online installer/
> maintenance tool work ok. I suspect something related to the wheel. What
> should I check next in order to track down the issue?

A possibility is that something (a file) was added to Qt v5.10.1 that isn't in the wheel, so compare the names of files installed as Qt 5.10.0 and 5.10.1.

Assume you have tested the v5.10 wheel and that's Ok. You could try moving out the Qt directory from the v5.10.1 wheel installation and move in the one from the v5.10 wheel installation.

Phil

> Am Freitag, 2. März 2018, 18:54:48 CET schrieb Phil Thompson:
>> On 2 Mar 2018, at 5:47 pm, Detlev Offenbach <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>> Another user of eric reported the same issue via sourceforge (before they
>>> went out). He observed it on a Mint system. I'll try it on the weekend
>>> with a self- built variant.
>>
>> The problem will either be with the wheel package (ie. there is a something
>> missing from the copy of Qt included in the wheel) or a problem with Qt
>> itself. I don't build Qt - I use the copy installed using the online
>> installer.
>>
>> So the first thing I'd try is a C++ example using a separate copy of Qt from
>> the online installer. That way you take PyQt and the wheel out of the
>> equation.
>>
>> Phil

> Detlev Offenbach

Re: ANN: PyQt v5.10.1 and SIP v4.19.8 Released

Detlev Offenbach
Hi,

I compared the Qt 5.10.0 and 5.10.1 directories. There seem to be no files
added in the later. I reverted back to the PyQt 5.10.0 wheel and it works
again. Did the pip install --upgrade to go to PyQt5 5.10.1 and the issue
reappears. For me it is clear, that the latest wheel is broken. However, it
works on Windows. I haven't tried the macOS variant yet.

Detlev

On Sat, Mar 03, 2018 at 12:44:56PM +0100, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> I compared the Qt 5.10.0 and 5.10.1 directories. There seem to be no files
> added in the later. I reverted back to the PyQt 5.10.0 wheel and it works
> again. Did the pip install --upgrade to go to PyQt5 5.10.1 and the issue
> reappears. For me it is clear, that the latest wheel is broken. However, it
> works on Windows. I haven't tried the macOS variant yet.

I went digging a bit[1], and this is caused by the same issue as
QTBUG-66346[2], so it should be fixed in Qt 5.11. There's a detailed
explanation why this happens in the comments.

I'm still not sure why it happens for QtWebEngineProcess for PyQt,
though. I suspected that the relative path in qt.conf is to blame, but
trying to use an absolute path in there didn't help either.

Florian

[1] https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/3662#issuecomment-372139457
[2] https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-66346

--