ANN: PyQt v5.12 and SIP v4.19.14 Released

ANN: PyQt v5.12 and SIP v4.19.14 Released

Phil Thompson-5
PyQt v5.12 (and related packages) and SIP v4.19.14 have been released. These add support for Qt v5.12 including the new QtRemoteObjects module.

The web engine modules have been moved to a separate PyQtWebEngine package. This is a packaging change and does not affect applications. PyQt5 wheels are now half the size they were.

Overflow checking when converting between Python and C++ integers is now enabled by default.

Phil

Re: ANN: PyQt v5.12 and SIP v4.19.14 Released

Detlev Offenbach

Am Sonntag, 10. Februar 2019, 14:29:24 CET schrieb Phil Thompson:
> PyQt v5.12 (and related packages) and SIP v4.19.14 have been released. These
> add support for Qt v5.12 including the new QtRemoteObjects module.
>
> The web engine modules have been moved to a separate PyQtWebEngine package.

As PyQtWebEngine is installed into the PyQt5 package, shouldn't it be called
PyQt5WebEngine? That would avoid naming issues in the future when PyQt6 comes
alive. Same remark applies to the other seperate PyQt... wheels.

> This is a packaging change and does not affect applications. PyQt5 wheels
> are now half the size they were.
>
> Overflow checking when converting between Python and C++ integers is now
> enabled by default.

Is there a way to disable it (e.g. sip.setOverflowCheck(False))?

Detlev
--
Detlev Offenbach

On 10 Feb 2019, at 4:11 pm, Detlev Offenbach <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 10. Februar 2019, 14:29:24 CET schrieb Phil Thompson:
>> PyQt v5.12 (and related packages) and SIP v4.19.14 have been released. These
>> add support for Qt v5.12 including the new QtRemoteObjects module.
>>
>> The web engine modules have been moved to a separate PyQtWebEngine package.
>
> As PyQtWebEngine is installed into the PyQt5 package, shouldn't it be called
> PyQt5WebEngine? That would avoid naming issues in the future when PyQt6 comes
> alive. Same remark applies to the other seperate PyQt... wheels.

It is certainly inconsistent.

https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/PyQt5/incompatibilities.html#pyqt-v5-12

Phil

Re: ANN: PyQt v5.12 and SIP v4.19.14 Released

Dmitry Shachnev
Hi Phil!

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 01:29:24PM +0000, Phil Thompson wrote:
> PyQt v5.12 (and related packages) and SIP v4.19.14 have been released.
> These add support for Qt v5.12 including the new QtRemoteObjects module.

SIP v4.19.14 is not on SourceForge [1]. Is that because you are planning to
stop using SourceForge at all, and upload tarballs only to your website?

If yes, is there some page where we will be able to download historical
tarballs? E.g. when SIP v4.19.15 is released, will we be able to download
v4.19.14?

Such a page will be useful for tools such as uscan (debian/watch) [2].

If you uploaded .tar.gz tarballs to PyPI, in addition to wheels, it would
work too, as we would be able to use a page like [3] for this purpose.

(The same applies to PyQt.)

[1]: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pyqt/files/sip/
[2]: https://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch
[3]: https://pypi.org/simple/pyqt5-sip/

--
Dmitry Shachnev

Re: ANN: PyQt v5.12 and SIP v4.19.14 Released

David Boddie
On Sat Feb 16 14:18:31 GMT 2019, Dmitry Shachnev wrote:

> If you uploaded .tar.gz tarballs to PyPI, in addition to wheels, it would
> work too, as we would be able to use a page like [3] for this purpose.
>
> (The same applies to PyQt.)

It would also be useful if people start deploying PyQt applications in
flatpaks because versions of the runtimes (collections of software
dependencies) tend to be pinned to specific released versions of software.

For example, this runtime uses archives downloaded from SourceForge:

https://source.puri.sm/david.boddie/pyqt5-flatpak-runtime

Alternatively, it could obtain SIP and PyQt from repositories instead.

David

On 16 Feb 2019, at 2:18 pm, Dmitry Shachnev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Phil!
>
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 01:29:24PM +0000, Phil Thompson wrote:
>> PyQt v5.12 (and related packages) and SIP v4.19.14 have been released.
>> These add support for Qt v5.12 including the new QtRemoteObjects module.
>
> SIP v4.19.14 is not on SourceForge [1]. Is that because you are planning to
> stop using SourceForge at all, and upload tarballs only to your website?

Yes.

> If yes, is there some page where we will be able to download historical
> tarballs? E.g. when SIP v4.19.15 is released, will we be able to download
> v4.19.14?

There will be. I just haven't got round to working out the details yet.

> Such a page will be useful for tools such as uscan (debian/watch) [2].
>
> If you uploaded .tar.gz tarballs to PyPI, in addition to wheels, it would
> work too, as we would be able to use a page like [3] for this purpose.

I don't want to do that until configure.py has been replaced by setup.py.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 03:29:06PM +0000, Phil Thompson wrote:

> > If yes, is there some page where we will be able to download historical
> > tarballs? E.g. when SIP v4.19.15 is released, will we be able to download
> > v4.19.14?
>
> There will be. I just haven't got round to working out the details yet.
>
> > If you uploaded .tar.gz tarballs to PyPI, in addition to wheels, it would
> > work too, as we would be able to use a page like [3] for this purpose.
>
> I don't want to do that until configure.py has been replaced by setup.py.
Thanks! Looking forward to both things: the history page and replacing of
configure.py with setup.py :)

--
Dmitry Shachnev

PyQt v5.12 with dbus_message_get_allow_interactive_authorization

Valentin Valls

I recently tried the last PyQt version 5.12 and encounter a critical
problem.

Applications do not start anymore and this message is displayed instead:

```
python3.5: relocation error:
/home/valls/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/PyQt5/Qt/plugins/platforms/../../lib/libQt5DBus.so.5:
symbol dbus_message_get_allow_interactive_authorization, version
LIBDBUS_1_3 not defined in file libdbus-1.so.3 with link time reference
```

I found a similar messages on
https://blog.qt.io/blog/2018/12/06/qt-creator-4-8-0-released/

and on https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-72507

No idea if it is Qt or PyQt related.

I am using Debian8, with an own compiled Python 3.5.

According to comment, one solution is to recompile LIBDBUS with an
up-to-date version. Is somebody encounter the same problem? And found a
more convenient solution?

valentin_valls.vcf (308 bytes) Download Attachment