ANN: PyQt v5.8 and SIP v4.19.1 Released

Phil Thompson-5
PyQt v5.8 and SIP v4.19.1 have been released. There are also new releases of PyQt3D, PyQtChart, PyQtDataVisualization and PyQtPurchasing.

The highlight of the release is support for Qt v5.8.0.

There will be a new QScintilla release sometime over the weekend.

Phil

Re: ANN: PyQt v5.8 and SIP v4.19.1 Released

Daniel Krause
The current wheel works fine for me with standard python 3.6 for windows (win10 - 64bit).

It fails with the anaconda python distribution (miniconda - python 3.5).
import sys
print('sys imported')
import PyQt5
print('Qt imported')
from PyQt5 import QtCore
print('QtCore imported')
gives
sys imported
Qt imported
Fatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread

Thanks for PyQt anyway,
Daniel

PyQt v5.8 and SIP v4.19.1 have been released. There are also new releases of PyQt3D, PyQtChart, PyQtDataVisualization and PyQtPurchasing.

The highlight of the release is support for Qt v5.8.0.

There will be a new QScintilla release sometime over the weekend.

Phil

Re: ANN: PyQt v5.8 and SIP v4.19.1 Released

Cody Scott-2
Hey Daniel,

Is this on Windows? I think it might be because Anaconda does not have python3.dll which PyQt5 requires.

I guess you will need to wait until you can conda install pyqt5 and get pyqt5==5.8

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 3:01 PM, Daniel Krause <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Cody,

yes, it is windows 10.
Maybe I'll try also the full anaconda distribution, not just miniconda. Perhaps in the full anaconda distribution the dll is included.

Thanks for creating an issue.
Daniel

On 15 Feb 2017, at 9:50 pm, Cody Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Daniel,
>
> Is this on Windows? I think it might be because Anaconda does not have python3.dll which PyQt5 requires.
>
> I created an issue with Anaconda https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-issues/issues/1394
>
> I guess you will need to wait until you can conda install pyqt5 and get pyqt5==5.8

It might be worth you updating the report to say that the bug is not specific to PyQt5 and affects all extension modules that rely on PEP 384.

Phil

Re: ANN: PyQt v5.8 and SIP v4.19.1 Released

Timothy W. Grove
Thanks Phil!

I'm pleased to see a couple of issues I've had disappear, but I've seen
a new one on Windows 10 with Myanmar script, where the text layout seems
"squished" together and sometimes text is lost to the left-hand side of
a window; I'm seeing this in line edits and table lists. I don't know if
this list accepts attachments, but I've added one to show what I'm
seeing. Probably a Qt issue, but thought I'd mention it here first. No
problems with macOS.

Best regards,
Tim

On 15/02/2017 18:07, Phil Thompson wrote:

> PyQt v5.8 and SIP v4.19.1 have been released. There are also new releases of PyQt3D, PyQtChart, PyQtDataVisualization and PyQtPurchasing.
>
> The highlight of the release is support for Qt v5.8.0.
>
> There will be a new QScintilla release sometime over the weekend.
>
> Phil

PyQt 5.8 Myanmar script layout on Windows 10.pdf (220K) Download Attachment

Re: ANN: PyQt v5.8 and SIP v4.19.1 Released

Sibylle Koczian-3
Am 15.02.2017 um 19:07 schrieb Phil Thompson:
> PyQt v5.8 and SIP v4.19.1 have been released. There are also new releases of PyQt3D, PyQtChart, PyQtDataVisualization and PyQtPurchasing.
>
> The highlight of the release is support for Qt v5.8.0.

I repeat my mail from last November, because nothing has changed with
PyQt 5.8 and Python 3.6. Same OS, same PostgreSQL version. I never got
an answer then, so I try again:

I can't get the QPSQL driver to work any more.

Versions of everything: OS is Windows 10, Python 3.5.2, PostgreSQL
9.6.1, PyQt 5.7 installed from PyPi, all of it 64 bit.

This has worked before. I suspect the recent PostgreSQL upgrade from 9.5
to 9.6, is that possible? Or the change from PyQt5 5.6 (Windows binaries
from the Riverbank website) to 5.7 (wheels from PyPi)? The database
driver dlls are present in the ...\Qt\plugins\sqldrivers of my PyQt5
installation. Moreover I can connect to MSSql using ODBC and to MariaDB.

Something just possibly related:

When I install PyQt5 on Linux (Debian, Ubuntu) I need to include not
only the package python3-pyqt5.qtsql, but additionally packages like
libqt5sql5-psql for Postgresql, -odbc, -mysql etc. Only the -sqlite
package is installed automatically with python3-pyqt5.qtsql, I think.

So could the copy of LGPL Qt included in the wheel miss the part
necessary for PostgreSQL?

Script to show the problem and compare with Sqlite:

#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys
from PyQt5 import QtCore
from PyQt5 import QtSql

def checkQPSQL():
     result = QtSql.QSqlDatabase.isDriverAvailable('QPSQL')
     print("PostgreSQL-Treiber verfügbar? {}".format(result))
     db = QtSql.QSqlDatabase.addDatabase("QPSQL", "postgresql")
     cname = db.connectionName()
     print("db.connectionName() = ", cname)
     print("db.lastError:", db.lastError().text())
     db.setDatabaseName("sib")
     db.setHostName("localhost")
     db.setUserName("sib")
     db.setPassword("immergut")
     result = db.open()
     print("Datenbank geöffnet? {}".format(result))
     db.close()
     if result:
         if db.isOpen():
             print("Datenbank konnte nicht geschlossen werden.")
             print(db.lastError().text())
         else:
             print("Datenbank geschlossen.")
     QtSql.QSqlDatabase.removeDatabase(cname)

def checkQSQLITE():
     result = QtSql.QSqlDatabase.isDriverAvailable('QSQLITE')
     print("Sqlite-Treiber verfügbar? {}".format(result))
     db = QtSql.QSqlDatabase.addDatabase("QSQLITE", "sqlite")
     cname = db.connectionName()
     print("db.connectionName() = ", cname)
     print("db.lastError:", db.lastError().text())
     result = db.open()
     print("Datenbank geöffnet? {}".format(result))
     db.close()
     if result:
         if db.isOpen():
             print("Datenbank konnte nicht geschlossen werden.")
             print("db.lastError:", db.lastError().text())
         else:
             print("Datenbank geschlossen.")
     QtSql.QSqlDatabase.removeDatabase(cname)

if __name__ == "__main__":
     app = QtCore.QCoreApplication(sys.argv[1:])

     dbliste = QtSql.QSqlDatabase.drivers()
     print(dbliste)
     print("-----")
     checkQPSQL()
     print("-----")
     checkQSQLITE()

Output (copied from command window):

['QSQLITE', 'QMYSQL', 'QMYSQL3', 'QODBC', 'QODBC3', 'QPSQL', 'QPSQL7']
-----
PostgreSQL-Treiber verfügbar? True
QSqlDatabase: QPSQL driver not loaded
QSqlDatabase: available drivers: QSQLITE QMYSQL QMYSQL3 QODBC QODBC3
QPSQL QPSQL7
db.connectionName() =  postgresql
db.lastError: Driver not loaded Driver not loaded
Datenbank geöffnet? False
QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'postgresql' is still in
use, all queries will cease to work.
-----
Sqlite-Treiber verfügbar? True
db.connectionName() =  sqlite
db.lastError:
Datenbank geöffnet? True
QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'sqlite' is still in
use, all queries will cease to work.

Additional question: if I start this script from an IDE (IDLE or Wing)
the error messages starting with "QsqlDatabase:", "QSqlDatabasePrivate:"
don't appear. What's that?

Thank you for any sort of help,
Sibylle

On 17 Feb 2017, at 2:11 pm, Sibylle Koczian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 15.02.2017 um 19:07 schrieb Phil Thompson:
>> PyQt v5.8 and SIP v4.19.1 have been released. There are also new releases of PyQt3D, PyQtChart, PyQtDataVisualization and PyQtPurchasing.
>>
>> The highlight of the release is support for Qt v5.8.0.
>>

> I repeat my mail from last November, because nothing has changed with PyQt 5.8 and Python 3.6. Same OS, same PostgreSQL version. I never got an answer then, so I try again:
>
> I can't get the QPSQL driver to work any more.
>
> Versions of everything: OS is Windows 10, Python 3.5.2, PostgreSQL 9.6.1, PyQt 5.7 installed from PyPi, all of it 64 bit.
>
> This has worked before. I suspect the recent PostgreSQL upgrade from 9.5 to 9.6, is that possible? Or the change from PyQt5 5.6 (Windows binaries from the Riverbank website) to 5.7 (wheels from PyPi)? The database driver dlls are present in the ...\Qt\plugins\sqldrivers of my PyQt5 installation. Moreover I can connect to MSSql using ODBC and to MariaDB.

The old PyQt installers contained a locally built copy of Qt that had the database specific drivers statically compiled with the Qt SQL plugins. The new wheels use the Qt builds provided by the Qt project - those builds use the database specific drivers but don't include them. You need to obtain and install them yourself - usually by installing the database package itself.

Am 17.02.2017 um 15:48 schrieb Phil Thompson:

>> I can't get the QPSQL driver to work any more.
>>
>> Versions of everything: OS is Windows 10, Python 3.5.2, PostgreSQL
>> 9.6.1, PyQt 5.7 installed from PyPi, all of it 64 bit.
>
> The old PyQt installers contained a locally built copy of Qt that had
> the database specific drivers statically compiled with the Qt SQL
> plugins. The new wheels use the Qt builds provided by the Qt project
> - those builds use the database specific drivers but don't include
> them. You need to obtain and install them yourself - usually by
> installing the database package itself.

Thank you for your explanation - but I don't fully understand it:
"installing the database package itself" - does that mean the PostgreSQL
server? That is installed and runs on the same machine I'm trying to use
QtSql on. And what exactly are the "database specific drivers"?

The subdirectory "...\Qt\plugins\sqldrivers" of my PyQt installation
contains the file qsqlpsql.dll. That is the right plugin, isn't it? Do I
have to rebuild it using the instructions in the Qt documentation, to
tell the plugin about the location of PostgreSQL on my machine? But that
can't be right: it would mean repeating this with every update of either
PyQt or PostgreSQL???

Please clarify - I'm quite inexperienced with compiling and building
things myself on Windows.

By the way, psycopg2 connects to my databases out of the box. So I can
use SQLAlchemy with PyQt5 - but QtSql would be simpler.

Greetings
Sibylle

On 17 Feb 2017, at 7:37 pm, Sibylle Koczian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 17.02.2017 um 15:48 schrieb Phil Thompson:
>>> I can't get the QPSQL driver to work any more.
>>>
>>> Versions of everything: OS is Windows 10, Python 3.5.2, PostgreSQL
>>> 9.6.1, PyQt 5.7 installed from PyPi, all of it 64 bit.
>>
>> The old PyQt installers contained a locally built copy of Qt that had
>> the database specific drivers statically compiled with the Qt SQL
>> plugins. The new wheels use the Qt builds provided by the Qt project
>> - those builds use the database specific drivers but don't include
>> them. You need to obtain and install them yourself - usually by
>> installing the database package itself.
>>

> Thank you for your explanation - but I don't fully understand it: "installing the database package itself" - does that mean the PostgreSQL server? That is installed and runs on the same machine I'm trying to use QtSql on. And what exactly are the "database specific drivers"?

In the case of PostgreSQL I think it is lipq.dll (or maybe libpg.dll). It is called by the Qt plugin - you need both.

> The subdirectory "...\Qt\plugins\sqldrivers" of my PyQt installation contains the file qsqlpsql.dll. That is the right plugin, isn't it? Do I have to rebuild it using the instructions in the Qt documentation, to tell the plugin about the location of PostgreSQL on my machine? But that can't be right: it would mean repeating this with every update of either PyQt or PostgreSQL???

...or Qt. This is a Qt issue, nothing to do with PyQt. I assume you just need to make sure the directory containing the PostgreSQL DLL is on PATH.

> Please clarify - I'm quite inexperienced with compiling and building things myself on Windows.
>
> By the way, psycopg2 connects to my databases out of the box. So I can use SQLAlchemy with PyQt5 - but QtSql would be simpler.

Then it must have the DLL statically linked, or includes a local copy of the DLL, or it implements the wire protocol itself.

Am 17.02.2017 um 22:56 schrieb Phil Thompson:
> On 17 Feb 2017, at 7:37 pm, Sibylle Koczian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

> In the case of PostgreSQL I think it is lipq.dll (or maybe libpg.dll). It is called by the Qt plugin - you need both.
>
>> The subdirectory "...\Qt\plugins\sqldrivers" of my PyQt installation contains the file qsqlpsql.dll. That is the right plugin, isn't it? Do I have to rebuild it using the instructions in the Qt documentation, to tell the plugin about the location of PostgreSQL on my machine? But that can't be right: it would mean repeating this with every update of either PyQt or PostgreSQL???
>
> ...or Qt. This is a Qt issue, nothing to do with PyQt. I assume you just need to make sure the directory containing the PostgreSQL DLL is on PATH.

Done, and now it works. Thank you!

Sibylle