ANN: PyQt v5.9.1 and SIP v4.19.4 Released

ANN: PyQt v5.9.1 and SIP v4.19.4 Released

Phil Thompson-5
PyQt v5.9.1 has been released (along with corresponsing releases of PyQt3D, PyQtChart, PyQtDataVisualization and PyQtPurchasing). These add support for Qt v5.9.2.

The Linux wheel for PyQt has yet to be uploaded to PyPI as it seems to have hit a limit on the size of a wheel. I'm trying to get this resolved.

SIP v4.19.4 has also been released. This includes the ability to add enable (at runtime) strict overflow checking when converting from Python integers.

Phil

Re: ANN: PyQt v5.9.1 and SIP v4.19.4 Released

Damon Lynch

On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 6:11 AM, Phil Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
PyQt v5.9.1 has been released (along with corresponsing releases of PyQt3D, PyQtChart, PyQtDataVisualization and PyQtPurchasing). These add support for Qt v5.9.2.

The Linux wheel for PyQt has yet to be uploaded to PyPI as it seems to have hit a limit on the size of a wheel. I'm trying to get this resolved.

SIP v4.19.4 has also been released. This includes the ability to add enable (at runtime) strict overflow checking when converting from Python integers.

With SIP v4.19.4 and PyQt 5.9 on Linux,  code like this breaks:

buttonBox = QDialogButtonBox(
QDialogButtonBox.Cancel | QDialogButtonBox.Ok | QDialogButtonBox.Help
)
self.helpButton = buttonBox.button(QDialogButtonBox.Help) # type: QPushButton

As far as I can tell, that code is correct. Unfortunately with sip==4.19.4, self.helpButton is assigned the value None, instead of the QPushButton. Moreover, the
QPushButtons do not appear to the user, so it seems they're never actually created when the QDialogButtonBox is instantiated.

The problem is that when you install PyQt5.9 from PyPi, by default it installs SIP 4.19.4, not SIP 4.19.3. When SIP is downgraded to 4.19.3, the code works as expected.

Unfortunately in the requirements.txt for my application, a specific sip version is not specified. So currently I'm getting bug reports from unhappy users reporting broken code.

Phil, do you have an ETA for PyQT 5.9.1 for Linux on Pypi? Until it does show up, is it possible to tell Pypi to install sip 4.19.3 when installing PyQt5.9?

Thanks,
Damon

On 5 Nov 2017, at 9:44 pm, Damon Lynch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 6:11 AM, Phil Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> PyQt v5.9.1 has been released (along with corresponsing releases of PyQt3D, PyQtChart, PyQtDataVisualization and PyQtPurchasing). These add support for Qt v5.9.2.
>
> The Linux wheel for PyQt has yet to be uploaded to PyPI as it seems to have hit a limit on the size of a wheel. I'm trying to get this resolved.
>
> SIP v4.19.4 has also been released. This includes the ability to add enable (at runtime) strict overflow checking when converting from Python integers.
>

> With SIP v4.19.4 and PyQt 5.9 on Linux,  code like this breaks:
>
> buttonBox = QDialogButtonBox(
>     QDialogButtonBox.Cancel | QDialogButtonBox.Ok | QDialogButtonBox.Help
> )
> self.helpButton = buttonBox.button(QDialogButtonBox.Help)  # type: QPushButton
>
> As far as I can tell, that code is correct. Unfortunately with sip==4.19.4, self.helpButton is assigned the value None, instead of the QPushButton. Moreover, the
> QPushButtons do not appear to the user, so it seems they're never actually created when the QDialogButtonBox is instantiated.
>
> The problem is that when you install PyQt5.9 from PyPi, by default it installs SIP 4.19.4, not SIP 4.19.3. When SIP is downgraded to 4.19.3, the code works as expected.
>
> Unfortunately in the requirements.txt for my application, a specific sip version is not specified. So currently I'm getting bug reports from unhappy users reporting broken code.
> Phil, do you have an ETA for PyQT 5.9.1 for Linux on Pypi? Until it does show up, is it possible to tell Pypi to install sip 4.19.3 when installing PyQt5.9?

It's a regression that affects all platforms. SIP v4.19.5 has been released.

I don't have an ETA for the Linux wheel as it is completely out of my control and I'm getting no response from the relevant person.

Thanks,
Phil

Re: ANN: PyQt v5.9.1 and SIP v4.19.4 Released

Florian Bruhin
On Mon, Nov 06, 2017 at 01:11:12AM +0000, Phil Thompson wrote:
> I don't have an ETA for the Linux wheel as it is completely out of my control
> and I'm getting no response from the relevant person.

Have you tried opening an issue at
https://github.com/pypa/packaging-problems/issues with package and file size
limit? That seems to be the usual place where people request this.

Florian

--
https://www.qutebrowser.org  | [hidden email] (Mail/XMPP)
   GPG: 916E B0C8 FD55 A072  | https://the-compiler.org/pubkey.asc