[ANN] Release of IPython 7.0 – you've awaited long enough

[ANN] Release of IPython 7.0 – you've awaited long enough

Matthias Bussonnier
Hi all,

It is my pleasure to announce the release of IPython 7.0 and IPykernel 5.0.
The conda forge builder are working hard, and until things are published on conda forge, you can try it using pip.

 $ pip install ipython ipykernel --upgrade.

(Some Conda forge recipe are failing we'd appreciate help debugging, and updating BTW).

You can read more on the announce blog post that describe the new async-await top level feature:

We've also enabling anyone to tag/untag and close any issue on the IPython repository to foster participation and making it easier to find how to help. See this pull request[1] and look in the contributing.md TL;DR: you can mention a bot, and the bot will tag/close issue for you for you. E.g:

  @meeseeksdev tag windows, async/await

And both tag will be applied.

With this and the new release, there will likely be a number of tiny bugs and pull-request you can help with during hacktoberfest[2], like updating IPython.org, wikipedia with the latest release number and new features... etc.

Much love from the IPython team, and enjoy this new release. Let us know if there are any questions or concerns.
--
Matthias

Re: [ANN] Release of IPython 7.0 – you've awaited long enough

Wes Turner
re: Qt console

Does the Qt console yet support async/await?

> In a Notebook, QtConsole, or any other frontend using IPykernel, background tasks should behave as expected.

The new asyncio docs also look great and will likely be helpful for learning async/await:

New (3.7):

Old (3.6)
https://docs.python.org/3.6/library/asyncio.html

“IPython 7.0, Async REPL” @Mbussonn https://blog.jupyter.org/ipython-7-0-async-repl-a35ce050f7f7

> If you want to learn more we strongly recommend reading the Trio Tutorial Primer on async programming.

Re: [jupyter] Re: [ANN] Release of IPython 7.0 – you've awaited long enough

Brian Granger-3
Congrats to the entire team!

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 11:29 AM Wes Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Friday, September 28, 2018, Wes Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

The new asyncio docs also look great and will likely be helpful for learning async/await:

New (3.7):

Old (3.6)

“IPython 7.0, Async REPL” @Mbussonn https://blog.jupyter.org/ipython-7-0-async-repl-a35ce050f7f7

> If you want to learn more we strongly recommend reading the Trio Tutorial Primer on async programming.

Brian E. Granger
Associate Professor of Physics and Data Science
@ellisonbg on Twitter and GitHub
[hidden email] and [hidden email]

Re: [jupyter] Re: [ANN] Release of IPython 7.0 – you've awaited long enough

Matthias Bussonnier
Many thanks to all !

As a reminder, as for any  Major release, there might be (and is) some quirks that will be ironed out in the next couple of weeks (help welcomed).
If you find some strange behavior do not assume it is on purpose and feel free to create a issue (and tag it appropriately by mentioning the bot.:-)   )
We'll try to release a 7.1 in a couple of weeks – with your participation.

Matthias