[ANN] Released IPython 4.0, completing The Big Split

[ANN] Released IPython 4.0, completing The Big Split

MinRK

We’ve just released IPython 4.0, completing the transition of language-agnostic pieces of IPython to their new homes on Jupyter. This is primarily a reorganization of the code into the new repos, with a few bugs fixed along the way.

To install the new jupyter everything, including IPython, the notebook, qtconsole, etc.:

pip install --upgrade jupyter

and start the notebook with:

jupyter notebook

or get just the IPython terminal, without any of the Jupyter fun:

pip install --upgrade ipython

There should be shims for keep old commands and imports working during the transition, so let us know if you find places where that’s not the case.

For more info, see the announcement, and the new jupyter docs.

Thanks everyone!

-The IPython and Jupyter Teams

Re: [ANN] Released IPython 4.0, completing The Big Split

David Powell
Great news, and thanks for the hard work.

I just used pip to upgrade my Windows conda based installation. One thing I noticed is that all of the jupyter scripts are python files without extensions, rather than windows .exe files. So "jupyter notebook" does not work from the command line. However "ipython notebook" works just fine, as there is a new ipython.exe in my scripts folder.

Should the installer be creating this .exe file? If it's a bug, to which repo(s) should it be reported? It's not so clear after the big split.

regards
David

On 12 August 2015 at 12:03, MinRK <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Paul Moore
On 12 August 2015 at 05:30, David Powell
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great news, and thanks for the hard work.
>
> I just used pip to upgrade my Windows conda based installation. One thing I
> noticed is that all of the jupyter scripts are python files without
> extensions, rather than windows .exe files. So "jupyter notebook" does not
> work from the command line. However "ipython notebook" works just fine, as
> there is a new ipython.exe in my scripts folder.
>
> Should the installer be creating this .exe file? If it's a bug, to which
> repo(s) should it be reported? It's not so clear after the big split.

(Disclaimer - I've not tried the new version yet) I would have
expected the jupyter command to be a setuptools entry point, so that
exe wrappers would be generated automatically.

That appears to be the case (from
https://github.com/jupyter/jupyter_core/blob/master/setup.py#L71) so
maybe there's something going wrong in your setup?
Paul

Re: [ANN] Released IPython 4.0, completing The Big Split

Jens Nielsen
That's because it's already been fixed :) The commit adding that is 4 days old https://github.com/jupyter/jupyter_core/commit/ffb50f81d7f5612135a25411b780465195da5021

Jens

On 17 August 2015 at 13:33, Jens Nielsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That's because it's already been fixed :) The commit adding that is 4 days
> old
> https://github.com/jupyter/jupyter_core/commit/ffb50f81d7f5612135a25411b780465195da5021

My bad for going on holiday and then answering old emails :-)

Thanks,
Paul

Re: [ANN] Released IPython 4.0, completing The Big Split

Wes Turner

Thanks!

- [ ] DOC: how to rebuild docker containers with the same mapped e.g ~/ or ~/nb path (and/or remote storage extensions already-installed)
- [ ] DOC: update and/or include docker install instructions

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/Install:-Docker#links-to-jupyter-hub