[ANN]: django-todo 2.0

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[ANN]: django-todo 2.0

Scot Hacker-2

“django-todo is a pluggable, multi-user, multi-group, multi-list todo and ticketing system - a reusable app designed to be dropped into any existing Django project. Users can create tasks for themselves or for others, or create ”assigned tasks” that will be filed into a specific list (public tickets).”


That was the original project description, and it hasn’t changed in 10+ years.


When I first created django-todo, it was a simple “let’s learn Django” project idea. I open sourced it, it’s been relatively successful, and the project has received numerous contributions over the years (grateful!). When I heard that it wasn’t compatible with Django 2.0, I looked back on that dusty old code and realized it was time for a major refactor/upgrade. 


The update started small, but by the end, I had made 75 commits and written the first suite of working tests (finally!). Virtually every module and template has been refactored, I  adopted Bootstrap as the default layout engine, and finally got around to creating a live demo site for the project.


django-todo 2.0 requires Django 2.0 and Python 3.x  - no apologies. Unfortunately, this is a backwards-incompatible update (you’ll need to migrate old data manually, if you have any).


Hope it’s useful to a few teams or individuals out there. Contributions still very much welcome.


Demo site: http://django-todo.org/

Docs: http://django-todo.readthedocs.io/

Github: https://github.com/shacker/django-todo

Demo host site (which runs django-todo.org): https://github.com/shacker/gtd


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/4222bcad-bb6d-4406-936b-3d3e0cc37f06%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN]: django-todo 2.0

katuramu henry
This is awesome work Scot


On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 6:50 PM, Scot Hacker <[hidden email]> wrote:

“django-todo is a pluggable, multi-user, multi-group, multi-list todo and ticketing system - a reusable app designed to be dropped into any existing Django project. Users can create tasks for themselves or for others, or create ”assigned tasks” that will be filed into a specific list (public tickets).”


That was the original project description, and it hasn’t changed in 10+ years.


When I first created django-todo, it was a simple “let’s learn Django” project idea. I open sourced it, it’s been relatively successful, and the project has received numerous contributions over the years (grateful!). When I heard that it wasn’t compatible with Django 2.0, I looked back on that dusty old code and realized it was time for a major refactor/upgrade. 


The update started small, but by the end, I had made 75 commits and written the first suite of working tests (finally!). Virtually every module and template has been refactored, I  adopted Bootstrap as the default layout engine, and finally got around to creating a live demo site for the project.


django-todo 2.0 requires Django 2.0 and Python 3.x  - no apologies. Unfortunately, this is a backwards-incompatible update (you’ll need to migrate old data manually, if you have any).


Hope it’s useful to a few teams or individuals out there. Contributions still very much welcome.


Demo site: http://django-todo.org/

Docs: http://django-todo.readthedocs.io/

Github: https://github.com/shacker/django-todo

Demo host site (which runs django-todo.org): https://github.com/shacker/gtd


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/4222bcad-bb6d-4406-936b-3d3e0cc37f06%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CALyMqZTHA-QmNL5-XikkeHzoW3%3DM6ua2jWby10u4GAzmXG4AHg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN]: django-todo 2.0

gamesbook
In reply to this post by Scot Hacker-2
Interesting to hear of this.

Unfortunately we are currently committed to Django 1.11 as it is an LTS, but if you're planning on keeping this in-sync with all 2.x releases, then that opens up the option to look at using this from 2.2 onwards (that's the next LTS).


On Tuesday, 10 April 2018 17:50:17 UTC+2, Scot Hacker wrote:

“django-todo is a pluggable, multi-user, multi-group, multi-list todo and ticketing system - a reusable app designed to be dropped into any existing Django project. Users can create tasks for themselves or for others, or create ”assigned tasks” that will be filed into a specific list (public tickets).”


That was the original project description, and it hasn’t changed in 10+ years.


When I first created django-todo, it was a simple “let’s learn Django” project idea. I open sourced it, it’s been relatively successful, and the project has received numerous contributions over the years (grateful!). When I heard that it wasn’t compatible with Django 2.0, I looked back on that dusty old code and realized it was time for a major refactor/upgrade. 


The update started small, but by the end, I had made 75 commits and written the first suite of working tests (finally!). Virtually every module and template has been refactored, I  adopted Bootstrap as the default layout engine, and finally got around to creating a live demo site for the project.


django-todo 2.0 requires Django 2.0 and Python 3.x  - no apologies. Unfortunately, this is a backwards-incompatible update (you’ll need to migrate old data manually, if you have any).


Hope it’s useful to a few teams or individuals out there. Contributions still very much welcome.


Demo site: <a href="http://django-todo.org/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fdjango-todo.org%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGxsCNJitQKYI9KlAXoD35eqbCg8g&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fdjango-todo.org%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGxsCNJitQKYI9KlAXoD35eqbCg8g&#39;;return true;">http://django-todo.org/

Docs: <a href="http://django-todo.readthedocs.io/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fdjango-todo.readthedocs.io%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGKWMUWub6iC1RnL5eWGuNCw7t4AQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fdjango-todo.readthedocs.io%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGKWMUWub6iC1RnL5eWGuNCw7t4AQ&#39;;return true;">http://django-todo.readthedocs.io/

Github: <a href="https://github.com/shacker/django-todo" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fshacker%2Fdjango-todo\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGknw-ghdfKGyTjhxBff3Wg-ZT0SQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fshacker%2Fdjango-todo\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGknw-ghdfKGyTjhxBff3Wg-ZT0SQ&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/shacker/django-todo

Demo host site (which runs <a href="http://django-todo.org" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fdjango-todo.org\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNG-2QA9Q773Lga2KA0ERllPwrXkzQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fdjango-todo.org\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNG-2QA9Q773Lga2KA0ERllPwrXkzQ&#39;;return true;">django-todo.org): <a href="https://github.com/shacker/gtd" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fshacker%2Fgtd\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGSdoZzE3m7lLvMnZUV5ERgy875Jg&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fshacker%2Fgtd\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGSdoZzE3m7lLvMnZUV5ERgy875Jg&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/shacker/gtd


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/3d3a5672-45cd-4981-9c14-91e7e4f584d9%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN]: django-todo 2.0

Scot Hacker-2
On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 1:47:14 AM UTC-7, Derek wrote:
Interesting to hear of this.

Unfortunately we are currently committed to Django 1.11 as it is an LTS, but if you're planning on keeping this in-sync with all 2.x releases, then that opens up the option to look at using this from 2.2 onwards (that's the next LTS).

I *believe* the only Django 2-only feature in use is the URL routing. While untried, I suspect it would be pretty easy to get it working in a 1.11 project site by copying the provided urls.py into your own project, rewriting it in the old style, and including that from your main urls instead. Would be interested to hear whether this works for you.

./s


 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/114a2982-0355-455e-8edf-1535037ae680%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Ank
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN]: django-todo 2.0

Ank
Thanks ! I will try to implement as you suggested !!
On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 at 17:31, Scot Hacker <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 1:47:14 AM UTC-7, Derek wrote:
Interesting to hear of this.

Unfortunately we are currently committed to Django 1.11 as it is an LTS, but if you're planning on keeping this in-sync with all 2.x releases, then that opens up the option to look at using this from 2.2 onwards (that's the next LTS).

I *believe* the only Django 2-only feature in use is the URL routing. While untried, I suspect it would be pretty easy to get it working in a 1.11 project site by copying the provided urls.py into your own project, rewriting it in the old style, and including that from your main urls instead. Would be interested to hear whether this works for you.

./s


 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/114a2982-0355-455e-8edf-1535037ae680%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-users.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAALWEk1J4274ycj3s2L%2BGrM3yqCJMCUz8f1TfOpvrt-%3DeuG5bQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.