mxODBC provides an easy-to-use, high-performance, reliable and robust
Python interface to ODBC compatible databases such as MS SQL Server,
MS Access, Oracle Database, IBM DB2 and Informix , Sybase ASE and
Sybase Anywhere, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SAP MaxDB and many more:
The 3.1.2 release of our mxODBC is the latest release of our popular
Python ODBC Interface.
The new patch-level version includes a few important fixes:
* Fixed a compatibility problem with Python 2.7's distutils that was
introduced in Python 2.7.3
* Improved compatibility of the mxODBC native Unicode string format
handling with Unix ODBC drivers when running UCS4 builds of Python.
Licenses for mxODBC 3.1.x remain valid for mxODBC 3.1.2 as well.
Support for MS SQL Server Native Client for Linux
The above changes allows using the NVARCHAR and NCHAR types of SQL
Server with the *new MS SQL Server Native Client for Linux* with UCS4
Python builds. UCS2 Python builds don't exhibit this issue. The new
driver has proven to be much more feature complete than the FreeTDS
ODBC driver, so it's definitely worth a try.
Note that the MS driver currently has an issue with Unicode connection
strings which causes stack corruption. Please don't use Unicode
connection strings with the MS SQL Server Native Client for Linux
driver, since there's no way we can work around this problem: we only
know the type of driver after connection and then it's already too
You can download the new MS SQL Server Native Client for Linux from:
Windows x64 and eGenix mx Base 3.2
With mxODBC 3.1.1 we had already introduced compatibility with our
current mx Base 3.2 release in order to be able to support the Windows
x64 platform. If you are currently using the combinations mxODBC 3.1.0
+ mx Base 3.1, please consider upgrading to our latest releases mxODBC
3.1 + mx Base 3.2.
eGenix mx Base 3.2 is available from our product page:
* We've added Python 2.7 support and builds for all platforms.
* mxODBC 3.1 adds native support for the Windows 64-bit platforms
as well as the Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) 64-bit builds of
* mxODBC now fully supports the Oracle Instant Client ODBC driver.
* We have updated the support for the latest IBM DB2 9.7 ODBC
drivers and enhanced compatibility of mxODBC with the MS SQL
Server Native Client ODBC driver on Windows and the Sybase ASE 15
ODBC drivers on Unix.
* mxODBC 3.1 adds support for large-scale data warehouse databases
Netezza and Teradata.
* In addition to the Windows, Mac OS X, iODBC and unixODBC ODBC
driver managers, we now also include support for the DataDirect
* The 64-bit support on Unix platforms was updated to support the
new unixODBC 2.3.0 version.
* We've improved the documentation on how to connect to various
popular databases and now include many tips & tricks for each
* The Python 2.7 memoryview object is now supported as binary data
* We have simplified handling of database warnings using a new
customizable .warningformat attribute.
* The catalog methods now accept both Unicode and 8-bit strings as
* You can now select whether to use ANSI (8-bit) or Unicode ODBC
APIs in the ODBC drivers, removing unnecessary data conversions
and enhancing ODBC driver compatibility.
For the full set of changes please check the mxODBC change log:
* Python Database API 2.0 Compliance: the mxODBC API is fully
Python DB-API 2.0 compatible and implements a large number of
* Support for all popular ODBC Drivers: mxODBC includes
adjustments and work-arounds to support MS SQL Server Native
Client, MS SQL Server ODBC Driver, FreeTDS ODBC Driver, Oracle
Instant Client ODBC Driver, IBM DB2 ODBC Driver, Sybase ASE ODBC
Driver, Netezza ODBC Driver, Teradata ODBC Driver, PostgreSQL
ODBC Driver, MySQL ODBC Driver, .MaxDB ODBC Driver as well as
the ODBC driver sets of EasySoft, DataDirect, OpenLink, Actual
* Support for all popular ODBC Driver Managers: mxODBC comes with
subpackages for the native Windows and Mac OS X ODBC managers,
as well as the ODBC managers unixODBC, iODBC and DataDirect,
which are commonly used on Unix systems.
* Stable, robust and reliable:the mxODBC API has been in active
production use for more than 10 years.
* Full Python Support: mxODBC works with Python 2.4, 2.5, 2.6
* Full 64-bit Support: mxODBC runs on the following 64-bit
platforms: Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS X.
For the full set of features mxODBC has to offer, please see:
Due to popular demand, we have extended the set of available mxODBC
editions and included a new low-cost standard edition. mxODBC is now
available in these three editions:
* The low-cost Standard Edition which provides data connectivity
to a selected set of database backends.
* The Professional Edition, which gives full access to all mxODBC
* The Product Development Edition, which allows including mxODBC
in applications you develop.
At the same time we have simplified our license terms to clarify the
situation on multi-core and virtual machines. In most cases, you no
longer need to purchase more than one license per processor or virtual
machine, scaling down the overall license costs significantly compared
to earlier mxODBC releases.
For a complete overview of the new editions, please see the product page.
Python is an object-oriented Open Source programming language
which runs on all modern platforms. By integrating ease-of-use,
clarity in coding, enterprise application connectivity and rapid
application design, Python establishes an ideal programming
platform for today's IT challenges.
eGenix is a software project, consulting and product company
focusing on expert services and professional quality products for
companies, Python users and developers.
Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Apr 26 2012)
>>> Python/Zope Consulting and Support ... http://www.egenix.com/ >>> mxODBC.Zope.Database.Adapter ... http://zope.egenix.com/ >>> mxODBC, mxDateTime, mxTextTools ... http://python.egenix.com/ ________________________________________________________________________
2012-04-28: PythonCamp 2012, Cologne, Germany 2 days to go
2012-04-25: Released eGenix mx Base 3.2.4 http://egenix.com/go27
::: Try our new mxODBC.Connect Python Database Interface for free ! ::::