About Understanding of source code

Mayur Patil
Hello there,

  I want to understand how to get deep insight into Django code?

  Thank You.

Re: About Understanding of source code

Rohan Jain-2
I would suggest you to start by looking into the contrib apps. This would give you great insights onto writing Django apps. Now that you are already in the source code, you can stumble into the rest of it or even the core. This way has been particularly helpful to me.

Also, you might want to look into this great talk by James Bennett, titled "Django in Depth": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_ziKY1ayCo

--
Rohan Jain

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Mayur Patil <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello there,

  I want to understand how to get deep insight into Django code?

  Thank You.

Re: About Understanding of source code

Diederik van der Boor-2

What I find really valuable is using a editor/tool that allows you to jump to class/method/function definitions.
I'm using PyCharm for Django development and it really helps me to dive into Django code (Cmd+Click on a symbol).

Greetings,
Diederik

Op 7 jan. 2013, om 05:57 heeft Mayur Patil <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

Hello there,

  I want to understand how to get deep insight into Django code?

  Thank You.

Re: About Understanding of source code

Amirouche Boubekki

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 6:54:41 PM UTC+1, ptone wrote:
You might want to attempt to write a patch for an open issue - reading the source code is one thing and you may learn a bit. But dissecting the source code when you have the purpose to fix a problem, gives you a much better understanding of how things are working - as you NEED to understand them in order to properly fix/extend them. Just reading through it allows you to too easily skip over things you don't really understand.

Also you can read the discussions that lead to the code, here is those that I know of:

To find easy bugs, check easy picking in trac custom query, you can also precise a component for instance if you are interested in the ORM.

Also one way to learn little by little while still keeping an eye on what is coming is to watch django on github (or subscribe using a feed reader). Also there is mailling list for the tickets (prefered)

Regards,

Amirouche

Re: About Understanding of source code

James Pic
This should be mentioned too:

    import ipdb; ipdb.set_trace()

If you didn't already, then go ahead and mess with it.