Quantcast

Amazon ec2 instance with ipython notebook info

Amazon ec2 instance with ipython notebook info

danielmsd31
I launched a micro instance in amazon EC2. As I would like to use ipython notebook, I chose the linux image called ami-74d00c1d, that contains ipython notebook ready to go. Now I would like to use this same instance to run ipython notebook and other stuff. As i am a newbie, I remained with some doubts :

- Is there any documentation about the organization of the ami? Where are the python files, where is the apache config, which python version is in use, which packages are in the ami, which version of ipython notebook is in use, ...

- How can I change the instance config? For example, which files should I change to point the root (the first page) to another page instead of ipython notebook?

Re: Amazon ec2 instance with ipython notebook info

Carl Smith

I know this doesn't actually answer your question, but, if you want to do something of your own, you might want to look at building your server from a standard Linux AMI and installing IPython etc yourself. Then freezing it as an AMI once your happy. This is actually fairly straight forward to do. IPython have the AWS thing pretty well covered.

I'm on my phone, but can offer some details later if you want to explore this. There's plenty of people on the list that'll help you out anyway.

On Nov 9, 2012 5:05 PM, "danielmsd31" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I launched a micro instance in amazon EC2. As I would like to use ipython
notebook, I chose the linux image called ami-74d00c1d, that contains ipython
notebook ready to go. Now I would like to use this same instance to run
ipython notebook and other stuff. As i am a newbie, I remained with some
doubts :

- Is there any documentation about the organization of the ami? Where are
the python files, where is the apache config, which python version is in
use, which packages are in the ami, which version of ipython notebook is in
use, ...

- How can I change the instance config? For example, which files should I
change to point the root (the first page) to another page instead of ipython
notebook?

Re: Amazon ec2 instance with ipython notebook info

danielmsd31
Thanks Carl,

That is a good idea.

I will apreciate If you could send me more information of how to proceed.

Re: Amazon ec2 instance with ipython notebook info

danielmsd31
I think it could be useful to highlight that the documentation presents a good explanation of how config the start page:

http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/interactive/htmlnotebook.html#quick-howto-running-a-public-notebook-server

Re: Amazon ec2 instance with ipython notebook info

Carl Smith
Hi Daniel

Yes, that guide covers everything you need to know to get started with
a public IPython server. If you create an instance on EC2, using the
AWS console, you can log into it with SSH, and install everything you
need from a terminal. Fernando provided the following shell stuff when
I was building NotebookCloud, which was very useful to me. You can use
this as a starting point to get set up with a fully featured version.
I'm not sure if anything has changed since, I think one dependency was
removed, but this should still be fine to use. Anyone??

I used Ubuntu 12.04 as the base AMI, which worked well for me.

You'll need to use an IPython config as explained on the page you linked to.

Note, you don't need all the following packages, it's just nice to have them.

sudo apt-get install ipython ipython-notebook python-scipy \
    python-matplotlib python-rpy2 \
    python-sympy cython python-networkx python-pexpect python-nose \
    python-mpi4py python-h5py python-tables \
    python-pandas python-sklearn python-scikits.statsmodels \
    python-pip python-setuptools python-sphinx python-pygments \
    octave

sudo apt-get build-dep python python-scipy python-matplotlib cython

for p in "ipython oct2py scikits-image pandas statsmodels networkx"
do
    sudo pip install -u $p
done

Once you have this set up, you'll need to launch the IPython server,
then log out, then point a browser at the server, using the Public DNS
address provided by EC2. It'll take a minute to come online.

Note that if you restart the server, you'll need to log back in to
start IPython Notebook up again. If you want to automate that, you
need a config file in /etc/init, which would contain something like...

start on (stopped rc RUNLEVEL=[2345] and stopped cloud-config)
exec /path/to/startup/script

You can then put whatever you need in the startup script, which will
need to at least launch the IPython Notebook server with any
appropriate flags.

You can then stop the instance, and turn it into an AMI from the AWS
console. Once you have your new AMI, you can use that for any future
instances. It'd be nice if a generic AMI was available already, but
because each user needs a different cert and password, it probably
can't be done.

Don't hesitate if you have any questions.

All the best

Carl

Re: Amazon ec2 instance with ipython notebook info

Thomas Kluyver-2
On 12 November 2012 17:38, Carl Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
for p in "ipython oct2py scikits-image pandas statsmodels networkx"
do
    sudo pip install -u $p
done

I'd lean towards using apt-packages for everything, e.g. by adding Julian's IPython PPA [1] for up-to-date versions of IPython. Having everything installed in one place by one system should make it easier to update pieces.

[1] https://launchpad.net/~jtaylor/+archive/ipython

Thomas