Another newbie question... debuggers

K Richard Pixley
What are people using to debug beyond pdb?

I've been using pdb and it seems to work as far as it goes.  But I've
run into two problems in the last week that couldn't be debugged with
pdb so I'm wondering if there's a definitive alternative that people are
using, (aside from gdb).

--rich

Re: Another newbie question... debuggers

Tony Cappellini-2
WingIDE

WinPDB

Both are multi-platform, but you will need a graphical environment (non-console)

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 1:38 PM, K. Richard Pixley <[hidden email]> wrote:
What are people using to debug beyond pdb?

I've been using pdb and it seems to work as far as it goes.  But I've run into two problems in the last week that couldn't be debugged with pdb so I'm wondering if there's a definitive alternative that people are using, (aside from gdb).

--rich

Re: Another newbie question... debuggers

Keith Dart ♂
=== On Sun, 03/07, K. Richard Pixley wrote: ===
> I've been using pdb and it seems to work as far as it goes.  But I've
> run into two problems in the last week that couldn't be debugged with
> pdb so I'm wondering if there's a definitive alternative that people
> are using, (aside from gdb).

===

I use pycopia.debugger. It's my own enhanced version of pdb. It is
console based, but might not work on non-posix platforms.

-- Keith Dart

--

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   Keith Dart <[hidden email]>

Re: Another newbie question... debuggers

Keith Dart ♂
=== On Sun, 03/07, K. Richard Pixley wrote: ===
> But I've
> run into two problems in the last week that couldn't be debugged with
> pdb
===

Also, I'm curious about what problems could not be debugged with pdb?

-- Keith Dart

--

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   Keith Dart <[hidden email]>

Re: Another newbie question... debuggers

Simeon Franklin
I've been using pudb lately - it's a curses app that adds a few
niceties like local variable values to stock pdb but remains a
lightweight (console based) option...

-regards
Simeon Franklin

Keith Dart wrote:
> Also, I'm curious about what problems could not be debugged with pdb?
Previous problem was a python core dump.  I got it narrowed down to a
call into pyyaml, but the pyyaml people claim it's not theirs.  I
haven't taken the time to debug it further.  I coded around it instead.

Current problem I don't yet know.  I can usually get it to a particular
place in the code and then pdb ceases to be responsive.  Coding around
this one is more problematic since I don't really know what the problem
is yet.  Outside of pdb, the code simply appears to hang.  Just this
minute, it looks like a timing issue in twisted since strace says the
hang is on "select" with only 1 descriptor, (I'm expecting several), but
I'll likely have a different answer an hour from now.

--rich

Re: Another newbie question... debuggers

Andy Wiggin
I use the PyDev plugin to Eclipse. I spend most of my coding time
writing C code in Eclipse, so staying in Eclipse when switching
languages is an advantage for me. PyDev has GUIs for breakpoints,
local variables, etc., and if you use the editor you also get the
expected syntax highlighting, auto-indent, etc. But I suspect that if
you couldn't debug it with pdb, you also couldn't debug it with PyDev.

OTOH, if you had a debuggable CPython process running you could attach
to it with Eclipse (with CDT, not PyDev) and see what was going on
inside (just as you could with gdb). If you thought you might be
spending a lot of time switching between debugging Python code and
debugging loaded python modules or CPython itself, it might worth it
to do it this way.

-Andy