Application for Google Summer of Code

Christoffer Carlborg
Howdy everybody,

I've already posted message similar to this one in django-devel, but I hope to
get even more feedback by posting here too. :-)

I've started to write an application for Google Summer of Code, and I would
LOVE any feedback you can possibly give me. Please comment on both language
and content. I have a feeling my wording isn't too good, since english isn't
my native language.

Here's the beginning of my application (plaintext and HTML format):
 http://mamich.eu/soc-application.txt
 http://mamich.eu/soc-application.html

Please note that this is only a draft of the abstract. I'll complement it with
a presentation of myself and a more detailed description of what I'm planning
to do as soon as I can.

I'm a bit concerned my undertaking is a bit too big for just three months of
 work. What do you think?

/Christoffer Carlborg

Re: Application for Google Summer of Code

Tim Chase-7

> I've started to write an application for Google Summer of
> Code, and I would LOVE any feedback you can possibly give me.
> Please comment on both language and content.

I guess my first concern/interest/question would be "what makes
your proposal different from {{revision_control_system}}?"  Since
Django is pure Python (with perhaps a slight dependency on PIL),
using Subversion has worked for the Django project, the Django
site, and has worked for applications we do at work.

I must say, when I just installed Django on my iBook this
afternoon ('bout time :)  it was as easy as a SVN checkout (okay,
with a small detour to get Subversion and both MySQL and
SQLite3).  Then I installed one of my test projects from my SVN
repository.  Another simple "svn co" and I was up and running.

Perhaps you're proposing a dependency-tracking component to
distribute projects/apps?  Ways to specify that module X relies
on module Y, or app Z (and perhaps auto-fetch those dependencies
during installation)?  And how does it differ from Eggs (or
setup-tools)?

I don't mean to rain on your parade, so perhaps you envision
something I missed in my understanding?  But clarifying the value
your project brings (or what hole it fills in current
capabilities) would greatly strengthen your proposal.

Just my first impressions and ramblings...

-tkc

Re: Application for Google Summer of Code

Nathan R. Yergler-4

On 3/23/07, Tim Chase <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I've started to write an application for Google Summer of
> > Code, and I would LOVE any feedback you can possibly give me.
> > Please comment on both language and content.
>
> I guess my first concern/interest/question would be "what makes
> your proposal different from {{revision_control_system}}?"  Since
> Django is pure Python (with perhaps a slight dependency on PIL),
> using Subversion has worked for the Django project, the Django
> site, and has worked for applications we do at work.

And how will this build on existing packaging infrastructure like
PyPI, eggs, etc?