Arright dangit! Where is the OFFICIAL IronPython source code?

Arright dangit! Where is the OFFICIAL IronPython source code?

Vernon D. Cole
I've lost my link, and cannot muddle my way to meaningful results on either Codeplex, Wikepedia or Github. Github actually refers me back to Codeplex, where the most recent release is October of last year.
What is the URL to the real, true, current official source for IronPython?
--
Vernon Cole

Re: Arright dangit! Where is the OFFICIAL IronPython source code?

Daniel D.-4
See Setting up Repository

http://ironpython.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Respository%20Instructions&referringTitle=Home

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 08:42, Vernon Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've lost my link, and cannot muddle my way to meaningful results on either
> Codeplex, Wikepedia or Github. Github actually refers me back to Codeplex,
> where the most recent release is October of last year.
> What is the URL to the real, true, current official source for IronPython?
> --
> Vernon Cole

Re: Arright dangit! Where is the OFFICIAL IronPython source code?

Jeff Hardy-4
Github is the master source. And yes, the various websites need
straightening out.

- Jeff

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Vernon Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've lost my link, and cannot muddle my way to meaningful results on either
> Codeplex, Wikepedia or Github. Github actually refers me back to Codeplex,
> where the most recent release is October of last year.
> What is the URL to the real, true, current official source for IronPython?
> --
> Vernon Cole

Re: Arright dangit! Where is the OFFICIAL IronPython source code?

Vernon D. Cole
I searched on Github for the keyword "IronPython".  The search returns 20 repositories and 399 source trees.  None of the repositories seems to be IronPython.  I only checked the first 25 source references....
  What's the URL?
--
Vernon

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Jeff Hardy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Github is the master source. And yes, the various websites need
straightening out.

- Jeff

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Vernon Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've lost my link, and cannot muddle my way to meaningful results on either
> Codeplex, Wikepedia or Github. Github actually refers me back to Codeplex,
> where the most recent release is October of last year.
> What is the URL to the real, true, current official source for IronPython?
> --
> Vernon Cole

Re: Arright dangit! Where is the OFFICIAL IronPython source code?

Dino Viehland

It’s actually IronLanguages as it’s where both IronPython and IronRuby are being developed out of - https://github.com/IronLanguages/main

I searched on Github for the keyword "IronPython".  The search returns 20 repositories and 399 source trees.  None of the repositories seems to be IronPython.  I only checked the first 25 source references....
  What's the URL?
--
Vernon

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Jeff Hardy <[hidden email]> wrote:

Github is the master source. And yes, the various websites need
straightening out.

- Jeff

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Vernon Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've lost my link, and cannot muddle my way to meaningful results on either
> Codeplex, Wikepedia or Github. Github actually refers me back to Codeplex,
> where the most recent release is October of last year.
> What is the URL to the real, true, current official source for IronPython?
> --
> Vernon Cole

Re: Arright dangit! Where is the OFFICIAL IronPython source code?

Vernon D. Cole
Thanks! That worked great.
Now here's my first direct contribution.
see http://ironpython.codeplex.com/workitem/30218 for a version of webbrowser.py which actually works on cli.
(and therefore "import antigravity" also works.)
--
Vernon

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Dino Viehland <[hidden email]> wrote:

It’s actually IronLanguages as it’s where both IronPython and IronRuby are being developed out of - https://github.com/IronLanguages/main

Re: Arright dangit! Where is the OFFICIAL IronPython source code?

briancurtin
On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 23:39, Vernon Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks! That worked great.
Now here's my first direct contribution.
see http://ironpython.codeplex.com/workitem/30218 for a version of webbrowser.py which actually works on cli.
(and therefore "import antigravity" also works.)
--
Vernon

I think this would be better suited in the standard library at svn.python.org, rather than just within IronPython. Thoughts on that? I haven't followed long enough to know how standard library changes are usually handled around here, but you'd have to re-apply this change whenever re-syncing.

As for the change, wouldn't it be cleaner to make a shortcut like """windows = sys.platform in ["win32", "cli"]""" and then test """if windows:"""?

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Brian Curtin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think this would be better suited in the standard library at
> svn.python.org, rather than just within IronPython. Thoughts on that? I
> haven't followed long enough to know how standard library changes are
> usually handled around here, but you'd have to re-apply this change whenever
> re-syncing.

Generally we prefer to remain as close as possible to the CPython
stdlib, but I think the 2.7 stdlib is pretty much frozen at this
point. When switching to the 3.x stdlib, we'll figure out what can be
pushed upstream and what should maybe be IronPython-specific.

I'm hoping that, with 3.2 now out, the process of splitting off the
stdlib can proceed, but I think it's held up by the hg transition as
well. That would be ideal.

> As for the change, wouldn't it be cleaner to make a shortcut like """windows
> = sys.platform in ["win32", "cli"]""" and then test """if windows:"""?

The problem is that just 'cli' != 'windows' - it could be running on
Linux or MacOS via Mono. The best I've found for identifying Windows
is:

sys.platform == 'win32' or (sys.platform == 'cli' and os.name == 'nt')

or, just:

os.name == 'nt'

- Jeff

Re: Arright dangit! Where is the OFFICIAL IronPython source code?

Vernon D. Cole
I agree with all of  you.  I was trying to get something that works in the default case (no switches, IronPython on Windows).
I am not really equipped to test the other options. I'ld like to, but I'm not going to run out and buy a Mac just to test on.  (If only I could.)
If it only works in the default case, but not the edges, it's better than not working at all, IMHO.

I'll spend more time working on it, then learn to make a patch file (last time I tried, Mark could not read it, and I ended up sending him the whole text) and re-submit.

Will someone please volunteer to help me figure out why I can't build IPy on Ubuntu?  I'll pay the phone/connection charges.
--
Vernon

Re: Arright dangit! Where is the OFFICIAL IronPython source code?

Steve Dower
Ubuntu doesn't have the latest version of Mono, which is required for
the .NET 4.0 equivalent compiler (dmcs). You would have to build Mono
from sources to get it. Alternatively, most other distributions seem
to use the latest version (in particular, OpenSUSE and RHEL are
actively supported by Mono). You can get a ready-made OpenSUSE VM from
the Mono site.

You may not even need to build IronPython using Mono. I'm using
msbuild binaries on OpenSUSE at the moment and haven't had any issues
(yet).

Also, buying a Mac for testing appears to be the only option, since
they don't allow the use of MacOS in VMs (legally, anyway). (I'm sure
that will be taken into consideration when setting up CI, right...?)

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 08:41, Vernon Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with all of  you.  I was trying to get something that works in the
> default case (no switches, IronPython on Windows).
> I am not really equipped to test the other options. I'ld like to, but I'm
> not going to run out and buy a Mac just to test on.  (If only I could.)
> If it only works in the default case, but not the edges, it's better than
> not working at all, IMHO.
>
> I'll spend more time working on it, then learn to make a patch file (last
> time I tried, Mark could not read it, and I ended up sending him the whole
> text) and re-submit.
>
> Will someone please volunteer to help me figure out why I can't build IPy on
> Ubuntu?  I'll pay the phone/connection charges.
> --
> Vernon

Re: Arright dangit! Where is the OFFICIAL IronPython source code?

Vernon D. Cole
Or we can find the bloke who is not keeping Ubuntu Mono and Iron Python releases up to date and kick his....
errr...  ummm....  (mumble)...
  It is pretty weird that the distro which always has the latest of everything is the one with the old IPy/Mono, where the one which is NEVER up to date (RHEL) has it.  I'll do some investigating.  I'm afraid my experiences with SUSE and Red Hat are what drove me to Ubuntu. I do almost all of my open source work on a laptop, and there is a limit to what I dare ask it to do.  Two operating systems and six IDEs/languages are pushing it a bit.  Running VM would be over the top.  Perhaps I can set up another desktop when I get home.
  Thanks for the advice.
Vernon