Assigning copyright...

stefan brunthaler-3
Hi,

I only had little time to spend for my open sourcing efforts, which is
why I could not get back to python-dev any time earlier...

Yesterday I forward-ported my patches to revision 76549
(13c30fe3f427), which only took 25mins or so (primarly due to the
small changes necessary to Python itself and the stability of that
parts.) Thanks to a colleague of mine (Per Larsen) I reimplemented
some of the more ugly parts of the code generator, too.
Guido's answer from the last thread was that I should duly assign the
copyright to the PSF. Unfortunatly, I don't really see any other part
than the LICENSE and README files in the Python distribution. Since my
patch basically just adds another subdirectory ("cgen") to the Python
top-level directory, I am not sure if I need to supply other
information to make my code officially PSF compatible.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,
--stefan

Re: Assigning copyright...

Éric Araujo
Hi Stefan,

The PSF does not require copyright assignment (ugh!), only a contributor
agreement.  http://www.python.org/psf/contrib/contrib-form/ should give
you all you need.

Regards

Re: Assigning copyright...

Mark Shannon-3
stefan brunthaler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I only had little time to spend for my open sourcing efforts, which is
> why I could not get back to python-dev any time earlier...
>
> Yesterday I forward-ported my patches to revision 76549
> (13c30fe3f427), which only took 25mins or so (primarly due to the
> small changes necessary to Python itself and the stability of that
> parts.) Thanks to a colleague of mine (Per Larsen) I reimplemented
> some of the more ugly parts of the code generator, too.
> Guido's answer from the last thread was that I should duly assign the
> copyright to the PSF. Unfortunatly, I don't really see any other part
> than the LICENSE and README files in the Python distribution. Since my
> patch basically just adds another subdirectory ("cgen") to the Python
> top-level directory, I am not sure if I need to supply other
> information to make my code officially PSF compatible.
>
> Am I missing something obvious?

A URL for the code repository (with an open-source license),
so code can be reviewed.
It is hard to review and update a giant patch.

Cheers,
Mark.

Re: Assigning copyright...

stefan brunthaler-3
Hello Mark,

> A URL for the code repository (with an open-source license),
> so code can be reviewed.
> It is hard to review and update a giant patch.

OK, I took Nick's advice to heart and created a fork from the official
cpython mirror on bitbucket. You can view the code patched  in
(branch: inca-only) under the following URL:
https://bitbucket.org/sbrunthaler/cpython-inline-caching

Since it is a fork, it contains the usual LICENSE from Python.

Regarding Eric's hint: It seems that this agreement needs to be signed
and mailed. Can I sign/scan and email it to somebody? (Or should I
wait until there is a decision regarding a potential integration?) The
way I understood Guido's last message it is best to use Apache 2
license without retaining my own copyright. I am perfectly fine with
that but am not sure if using the fork with sub-directories including
the official LICENSE takes care of that. Obviously, I don't have too
much experience in this area, so if I am missing something blatantly
obvious, I apologize beforehand...

Best,
--stefan

Re: Assigning copyright...

"Martin v. Löwis"
> Regarding Eric's hint: It seems that this agreement needs to be signed
> and mailed. Can I sign/scan and email it to somebody?

Yes, see

http://www.python.org/psf/contrib/

Regards,
Martin