Autocomplete example on wiki

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Autocomplete example on wiki

python@bdurham.com
I'm looking for a way to add autocomplete functionality to my Windows based Tkinter applications running under Python 2.7 (32-bit).
 
I've started by using code found on the wiki, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. Ideally I'd like a solution that works with the ttk.Entry widget.
 
Here's the link to the wiki's auto-complete widget that I'm trying to get to work.
 
When I run the code on this page, I receive the following traceback:
 
C:\test>py27 tkautocomplete.py
Type a 't' to test the AutocompleteEntry widget.
Will use AutocompleteEntry.set_completion_list((u'test', u'type', u'true', u'tre
e', u'time'))
Try also the backspace key and the arrow keys.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tkautocomplete.py", line 99, in <module>
    test(test_list)
  File "tkautocomplete.py", line 89, in test
    entry.set_completion_list(test_list)
  File "tkautocomplete.py", line 35, in set_completion_list
    self.bind('<KeyRelease>', self.handle_keyrelease)
AttributeError: AutocompleteEntry instance has no attribute 'handle_keyrelease'
 
The traceback complains about a missing handle_keyrelease attribute which is present in the sample code.
 
I'm using the 32-bit version of Python 2.7 for Windows under Windows 7 Professional.
 
Thank you,
Malcolm

_______________________________________________
Tkinter-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tkinter-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Autocomplete example on wiki

Michael O'Donnell
Hi,

  Tried the code here on Windows 7 using Python 2.7.1,
no problem at all.

Given that the method handle_keyrelease is explicitly defined
in the code at http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/AutocompleteEntry,
my guess is that you have modified the code somehow such that
it doesn't work, or changed indentation, or....

Can you send me the code you are running, and I will check it out?

Mick

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 2:18 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to add autocomplete functionality to my Windows based
> Tkinter applications running under Python 2.7 (32-bit).
>
> I've started by using code found on the wiki, but I'm open to other
> suggestions as well. Ideally I'd like a solution that works with the
> ttk.Entry widget.
>
> Here's the link to the wiki's auto-complete widget that I'm trying to get to
> work.
> http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/AutocompleteEntry
>
> When I run the code on this page, I receive the following traceback:
>
> C:\test>py27 tkautocomplete.py
> Type a 't' to test the AutocompleteEntry widget.
> Will use AutocompleteEntry.set_completion_list((u'test', u'type', u'true',
> u'tre
> e', u'time'))
> Try also the backspace key and the arrow keys.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "tkautocomplete.py", line 99, in <module>
>     test(test_list)
>   File "tkautocomplete.py", line 89, in test
>     entry.set_completion_list(test_list)
>   File "tkautocomplete.py", line 35, in set_completion_list
>     self.bind('<KeyRelease>', self.handle_keyrelease)
> AttributeError: AutocompleteEntry instance has no attribute
> 'handle_keyrelease'
>
> The traceback complains about a missing handle_keyrelease attribute which is
> present in the sample code.
>
> I'm using the 32-bit version of Python 2.7 for Windows under Windows 7
> Professional.
>
> Thank you,
> Malcolm
> _______________________________________________
> Tkinter-discuss mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tkinter-discuss
>
>
_______________________________________________
Tkinter-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tkinter-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Autocomplete example on wiki

Michael O'Donnell
Dear Malcom,

  Having looked at your version of the code, I see that
the method: def handle_keyrelease(self, event)
is indented one tab too far.

If you are in Idle, select all of the method, and select
"Dedent Region" from the Format menu. Then it should work.

Mick


On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Michael O'Donnell
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  Tried the code here on Windows 7 using Python 2.7.1,
> no problem at all.
>
> Given that the method handle_keyrelease is explicitly defined
> in the code at http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/AutocompleteEntry,
> my guess is that you have modified the code somehow such that
> it doesn't work, or changed indentation, or....
>
> Can you send me the code you are running, and I will check it out?
>
> Mick
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 2:18 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm looking for a way to add autocomplete functionality to my Windows based
>> Tkinter applications running under Python 2.7 (32-bit).
>>
>> I've started by using code found on the wiki, but I'm open to other
>> suggestions as well. Ideally I'd like a solution that works with the
>> ttk.Entry widget.
>>
>> Here's the link to the wiki's auto-complete widget that I'm trying to get to
>> work.
>> http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/AutocompleteEntry
>>
>> When I run the code on this page, I receive the following traceback:
>>
>> C:\test>py27 tkautocomplete.py
>> Type a 't' to test the AutocompleteEntry widget.
>> Will use AutocompleteEntry.set_completion_list((u'test', u'type', u'true',
>> u'tre
>> e', u'time'))
>> Try also the backspace key and the arrow keys.
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "tkautocomplete.py", line 99, in <module>
>>     test(test_list)
>>   File "tkautocomplete.py", line 89, in test
>>     entry.set_completion_list(test_list)
>>   File "tkautocomplete.py", line 35, in set_completion_list
>>     self.bind('<KeyRelease>', self.handle_keyrelease)
>> AttributeError: AutocompleteEntry instance has no attribute
>> 'handle_keyrelease'
>>
>> The traceback complains about a missing handle_keyrelease attribute which is
>> present in the sample code.
>>
>> I'm using the 32-bit version of Python 2.7 for Windows under Windows 7
>> Professional.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Malcolm
>> _______________________________________________
>> Tkinter-discuss mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tkinter-discuss
>>
>>
>
_______________________________________________
Tkinter-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tkinter-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Autocomplete example on wiki

python@bdurham.com
Dear Mick,

> Having looked at your version of the code, I see that the method: def handle_keyrelease(self, event)
is indented one tab too far.

Thank you for taking the time to uncover the problem in my code.

<embarassed> I can't believe I missed that indentation error!
</embarrassed>

Thanks again!
Malcolm
_______________________________________________
Tkinter-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tkinter-discuss