Availability of Older Versions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Availability of Older Versions

Phil Thompson-5
I've updated the website to include "recent" older versions on the download pages. Sourceforge is no longer used for anything.

It's easy enough to add older older versions - but I'd need a convincing argument to do so.

Phil
_______________________________________________
PyQt mailing list    [hidden email]
https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/mailman/listinfo/pyqt
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Availability of Older Versions

Dmitry Shachnev
On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 10:20:08AM +0000, Phil Thompson wrote:
> I've updated the website to include "recent" older versions on the
> download pages. Sourceforge is no longer used for anything.
>
> It's easy enough to add older older versions - but I'd need a convincing
> argument to do so.

Thanks, Phil! For me the currently available versions are enough.

--
Dmitry Shachnev
_______________________________________________
PyQt mailing list    [hidden email]
https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/mailman/listinfo/pyqt
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Availability of Older Versions

Giuseppe Corbelli
In reply to this post by Phil Thompson-5

On 3/24/19 11:20 AM, Phil Thompson wrote:
> I've updated the website to include "recent" older versions on the
> download pages. Sourceforge is no longer used for anything.

RIP

> It's easy enough to add older older versions - but I'd need a
> convincing argument to do so.

To me the key line is being able to access a specific version from the
official vendor site instead of relying on internal archives.

I may not want to upgrade, i.e. because:
*) I have the commercial license and I did not renew it
*) I use PyQt in a device of some kind

--
Giuseppe Corbelli
_______________________________________________
PyQt mailing list    [hidden email]
https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/mailman/listinfo/pyqt
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Availability of Older Versions

Phil Thompson-5
On 25 Mar 2019, at 8:13 am, Giuseppe Corbelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> On 3/24/19 11:20 AM, Phil Thompson wrote:
>> I've updated the website to include "recent" older versions on the
>> download pages. Sourceforge is no longer used for anything.
>
> RIP
>
>> It's easy enough to add older older versions - but I'd need a
>> convincing argument to do so.
>
> To me the key line is being able to access a specific version from the official vendor site instead of relying on internal archives.
>
> I may not want to upgrade, i.e. because:
> *) I have the commercial license and I did not renew it

You will lose access to *all* commercial versions if you do not renew.

> *) I use PyQt in a device of some kind

IMHO this is the wrong way around. Why should an official vendor site be more reliable than internal archives? If you've spent money on an asset you should look after it.

Phil
_______________________________________________
PyQt mailing list    [hidden email]
https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/mailman/listinfo/pyqt
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Availability of Older Versions

Giuseppe Corbelli
On 3/25/19 9:30 AM, Phil Thompson wrote:

> On 25 Mar 2019, at 8:13 am, Giuseppe Corbelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>> On 3/24/19 11:20 AM, Phil Thompson wrote:
>>> I've updated the website to include "recent" older versions on the
>>> download pages. Sourceforge is no longer used for anything.
>>
>> RIP
>>
>>> It's easy enough to add older older versions - but I'd need a
>>> convincing argument to do so.
>>
>> To me the key line is being able to access a specific version from
>> the official vendor site instead of relying on internal archives.
>>
>> I may not want to upgrade, i.e. because:
>> *) I have the commercial license and I did not renew it
>
> You will lose access to *all* commercial versions if you do not renew.

Going off-topic here but, quoting website [1] the commercial version
gives customer:

*) PyQt5, PyQt4, PyQt3D, PyQtChart, PyQtDataVisualization,
PyQtPurchasing, dip and QScintilla2 updates for a period of a year. In
order to continue receiving updates after a year you must renew your
license.
*) Note that if you do not renew your license then you will lose the
ability to download from your account on our website.

So I understand that if today I purchase a license and select PyQt
5.12.0 I will always have the right to redistribute 5.12.0 in closed
source form. Am I missing something?

>> *) I use PyQt in a device of some kind
>
> IMHO this is the wrong way around. Why should an official vendor
> site  be more reliable than internal archives? If you've spent money on an
> asset you should look after it.
Can't say you're wrong. Many places however (at least down here)
consider a free-for-all windows CIFS as "the archive". Just throw in the
bucket user errors, hardware failures, ransomwares...

[1] https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/commercial/pyqt

--
Giuseppe Corbelli
_______________________________________________
PyQt mailing list    [hidden email]
https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/mailman/listinfo/pyqt
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Availability of Older Versions

Phil Thompson-5
On 25 Mar 2019, at 8:51 am, Giuseppe Corbelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 3/25/19 9:30 AM, Phil Thompson wrote:
>> On 25 Mar 2019, at 8:13 am, Giuseppe Corbelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> On 3/24/19 11:20 AM, Phil Thompson wrote:
>>>> I've updated the website to include "recent" older versions on the
>>>> download pages. Sourceforge is no longer used for anything.
>>>
>>> RIP
>>>
>>>> It's easy enough to add older older versions - but I'd need a
>>>> convincing argument to do so.
>>>
>>> To me the key line is being able to access a specific version from
>>> the official vendor site instead of relying on internal archives.
>>>
>>> I may not want to upgrade, i.e. because:
>>> *) I have the commercial license and I did not renew it
>> You will lose access to *all* commercial versions if you do not renew.
>
> Going off-topic here but, quoting website [1] the commercial version gives customer:
>
> *) PyQt5, PyQt4, PyQt3D, PyQtChart, PyQtDataVisualization, PyQtPurchasing, dip and QScintilla2 updates for a period of a year. In order to continue receiving updates after a year you must renew your license.
> *) Note that if you do not renew your license then you will lose the ability to download from your account on our website.
>
> So I understand that if today I purchase a license and select PyQt 5.12.0 I will always have the right to redistribute 5.12.0 in closed source form. Am I missing something?

No. However the right to use does not imply that you can ask us for a copy of it at any time in the future.

Phil
_______________________________________________
PyQt mailing list    [hidden email]
https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/mailman/listinfo/pyqt
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Availability of Older Versions

Dark Penguin
In reply to this post by Phil Thompson-5
> It's easy enough to add older older versions - but I'd need a convincing argument to do so.

I would say the obvious arguments are:

- "Just in case" if someone needs it for some corner case
- Especially considering that older Python support is about to be
dropped. There may be more "corner cases", maybe "not recommended and
not supported", but easily solvable by simply not deleting old sources.

I understand and agree that those are not very "convincing", however I
would consider the opposite: is there any reason to delete the old
sources?.. Any reason that would overweight those obvious arguments, so
"to encourage people to use the latest version" does not count.

I would suggest removing them from the website to keep the website
"clean" and to encourage people to use the latest version, but keeping
them somewhere else, with a small link on the website - "Very old
versions (do not use!)".


** UPDATE**

Oh, I see that the sources are available on Github, with tags for all
the old versions. Then there is no need to keep the archives, but it
would make sense to add a link to the Github page.


--
darkpenguin
_______________________________________________
PyQt mailing list    [hidden email]
https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/mailman/listinfo/pyqt
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Availability of Older Versions

Phil Thompson-5
On 26/03/2019 14:52, Dark Penguin wrote:

>> It's easy enough to add older older versions - but I'd need a
>> convincing argument to do so.
>
> I would say the obvious arguments are:
>
> - "Just in case" if someone needs it for some corner case
> - Especially considering that older Python support is about to be
> dropped. There may be more "corner cases", maybe "not recommended and
> not supported", but easily solvable by simply not deleting old sources.
>
> I understand and agree that those are not very "convincing", however I
> would consider the opposite: is there any reason to delete the old
> sources?.. Any reason that would overweight those obvious arguments, so
> "to encourage people to use the latest version" does not count.

You have misunderstood. I haven’t removed anything from the website,
only added some old versions - but not all of them. I will not remove
anything in the future.

> I would suggest removing them from the website to keep the website
> "clean" and to encourage people to use the latest version, but keeping
> them somewhere else, with a small link on the website - "Very old
> versions (do not use!)".
>
>
> ** UPDATE**
>
> Oh, I see that the sources are available on Github, with tags for all
> the old versions. Then there is no need to keep the archives, but it
> would make sense to add a link to the Github page.

Any Github page is nothing to do with me.

Phil
_______________________________________________
PyQt mailing list    [hidden email]
https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/mailman/listinfo/pyqt
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Availability of Older Versions

Dark Penguin
> You have misunderstood. I haven’t removed anything from the website,
> only added some old versions - but not all of them. I will not remove
> anything in the future.

Sorry, I have misunderstood indeed. I remember being able to download
them, and assumed that was from the website, but apparently that was
from Sourceforge. I agree with your judgement that the added versions
must be enough.


> Any Github page is nothing to do with me.

Oh... thanks for clarifying that - now I've avoided more confusion. :)


--
darkpenguin
_______________________________________________
PyQt mailing list    [hidden email]
https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/mailman/listinfo/pyqt