BayPIGgies Member Survey 2006! Closes in 4 days! Make your voice heard

BayPIGgies Member Survey 2006! Closes in 4 days! Make your voice heard

Stephen McInerney
2006 BayPIGgies Member Survey URL:
  http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?A=123951467E24825

Please take a moment to fill in the survey. It will close Sunday 4/30 at
midnight.
Only 4 days left.
- we have 75 responses right now. Help us to reach the magic 100?
- we are up to 15 prizes due to kind contributions from several people
  (if you can't attend on May 11, you're still entered for the prize draw)
- for results, analysis and discussion, please come along to May 11 Google
meeting
- we need YOUR response to make the survey representative and relevant
to your interests.
- speaking out via the survey also protects the list from volume on
well-trafficked topics.

Full details at:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/baypiggies/2006-April/000631.html

Thank you,
Stephen

Re: BayPIGgies Member Survey 2006! Closes in 4 days! Make your voice heard

Anna Ravenscroft
On 4/27/06, Stephen McInerney <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2006 BayPIGgies Member Survey URL:
>   http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?A=123951467E24825
>
> Please take a moment to fill in the survey. It will close Sunday 4/30 at
> midnight.
> Only 4 days left.

The survey requires a response for each and every question or it won't
let you go to the next screen. "I don't know" or "Not applicable"
isn't given as an option.

I quit out of the survey on the 3rd or 4th page (the really long one)
because of that and won't be completing the survey. Too bad.

--
cordially,
Anna

Re: BayPIGgies Member Survey 2006! Closes in 4 days! Make your voic

Stephen McInerney
Hi Anna,

Actually it doesn't, I designed it and tested very carefully before
launching to ensure that is not the case. The survey can be completed within
15min.
(Questions marked (Optional) are optional: #3, 10, 11, 15, 20, 21, 22)

I think you mean that *within a compulsory question* (such as the massive
question #14 'Interests'), all items must be checked, and yes that is an
unfortunate limitation of SurveyMonkey.com. I agree that it would be useful
if you could simply check what you're interested in, but SM won't allow it.
I looked at alternative survey sites and all were inferior to
SurveyMonkey.com.
Now that we have established what topics are of interest, we can refine any
future survey to be more concise.

The rightmost column in most questions is equivalent to "Not at all"/ "I
don't know" or "Not applicable", please talk to me offline about that.

This is the best I could do for the structure of the 2006 survey, for 2007
anyone who has strong feelings on the survey
content/structure/JavaScript/browser support is very welcome to
design and propose an alternative, in 2007. I had to work under very
pressing time constraints that if someone did not take some urgent action
like this soon, the group might continue to lose cohesion and eventually
splinter or implode. The list itself is not a very efficient place to
conduct polls or discussions of member opinions on organization - many
complaints about that.
For 2006, we have already got several incredibly valuable conclusions:
such as the most representative poll ever of geographic preferences and
topic interests.
For any 2007 survey, all your feedback is very valuable.

Regards,
Stephen

>From: "Anna Ravenscroft" <[hidden email]>
>To: "Stephen McInerney" <[hidden email]>
>CC: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] BayPIGgies Member Survey 2006! Closes in 4 days!
>Make your voice heard
>Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:35:50 -0700
>
>On 4/27/06, Stephen McInerney <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > 2006 BayPIGgies Member Survey URL:
> >   http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?A=123951467E24825
> >
> > Please take a moment to fill in the survey. It will close Sunday 4/30 at
> > midnight.
> > Only 4 days left.
>
>The survey requires a response for each and every question or it won't
>let you go to the next screen. "I don't know" or "Not applicable"
>isn't given as an option.
>
>I quit out of the survey on the 3rd or 4th page (the really long one)
>because of that and won't be completing the survey. Too bad.
>
>--
>cordially,
>Anna
>--
>It is fate, but call it Italy if it pleases you, Vicar!

Re: BayPIGgies Member Survey 2006! Closes in 4 days! Make your voic

Anna Ravenscroft
On 4/27/06, Stephen McInerney <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Anna,
>
> Actually it doesn't, I designed it and tested very carefully before
> launching to ensure that is not the case. The survey can be completed within
> 15min.

I had already spent 15 minutes on it. Guess I'm just slow... ;-)

> (Questions marked (Optional) are optional: #3, 10, 11, 15, 20, 21, 22)
>
> I think you mean that *within a compulsory question* (such as the massive
> question #14 'Interests'), all items must be checked,

Yep. That's the "one". Too bad survey monkey makes it that difficult.
I'll try again when I've got more time available to see if I can wade
thru the "interests" to get to the important parts on the following
pages.

In any case - I very much appreciate the work you've put into creating
the survey for us.

--
cordially,
Anna
It is fate, but call it Italy if it pleases you, Vicar!

Re: BayPIGgies Member Survey 2006! Closes in 4 days! Make your voic

Stephen McInerney
Anna and everyone,

- you can always bookmark your page on the survey and come back to it later
  (I enabled this feature inside SurveyMonkey)
But it should not take too much more than ~15min.

- as we go forward all comments on rearchitecting the survey for 2007 and
beyond
are useful. For 2006 we just have a couple of limitations. SurveyMonkey is
actually
brilliant and great value and I am indebted to Wesley for the suggestion.
The complex query capabilities for generating results are great.

- we are now up to 95 responses, so we are about to do the ton. This is a
great response.

Regards,
Stephen