BayPIGgies meets February 26 at Symantec

BayPIGgies meets February 26 at Symantec

jim stockford

(BayPIGgies thanks Google for hosting us in the last
few years. Now we've moved.)

Beginning February and for some months afterward,
baypiggies will meet at the Symantec Vcafe at
350 Ellis Street, Mountain View, CA 94043
on the fourth thursday of each month,
from 7:30 to 9 PM.

For February 26: The Factory Module, by Pete Fein
possible additional talk on PyDev
Newbie Nugget: Decorators, by Charles Merriam

At this time, subsequent meeting topics appear to be:

March 26: Tools Night, coordinated by Simeon Franklin

April 23: Alternatives for Writing C and C++ Extensions
for Computer Vision Research, by Dameon Eads

Re: Time for a reminder about meeting Thu 2/26 at Symantec...

Stephen McInerney

Seems timely for a reminder about this Thursday's meeting at
the new new location Symantec in *Ellis St, Mountain View*.

Seems we no longer need to sign up on the wiki except for people carpooling
or using public transit who want to organize rideshares.
In either case the wiki (needs updating - still has Jan details and Tech location) moved to:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/BayPiggiesMeetingSignup

Best,
Stephen

> From: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Baypiggies] BayPIGgies meets February 26 at Symantec
>
> (BayPIGgies thanks Google for hosting us in the last
> few years. Now we've moved.)
>
> Beginning February and for some months afterward,
> baypiggies will meet at the Symantec Vcafe at
> 350 Ellis Street, Mountain View, CA 94043
> on the fourth thursday of each month,
> from 7:30 to 9 PM.
>
> For February 26: The Factory Module, by Pete Fein
> possible additional talk on PyDev
> Newbie Nugget: Decorators, by Charles Merriam
>

> At this time, subsequent meeting topics appear to be:
>
> March 26: Tools Night, coordinated by Simeon Franklin
>
> April 23: Alternatives for Writing C and C++ Extensions
> for Computer Vision Research, by Damian Eads

Windows Live™ Hotmail®…more than just e-mail. See how it works.

Re: Time for a reminder about meeting Thu 2/26 at Symantec...

Shannon -jj Behrens
You feel like doing it, Stephen? ;)

-jj

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Stephen McInerney
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Seems timely for a reminder about this Thursday's meeting at
> the new new location Symantec in *Ellis St, Mountain View*.
>
> Seems we no longer need to sign up on the wiki except for people carpooling
> or using public transit who want to organize rideshares.
> In either case the wiki (needs updating - still has Jan details and Tech
> location) moved to:
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/BayPiggiesMeetingSignup
>
> Best,
> Stephen
>
>> From: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [Baypiggies] BayPIGgies meets February 26 at Symantec
>>
>> (BayPIGgies thanks Google for hosting us in the last
>> few years. Now we've moved.)
>>
>> Beginning February and for some months afterward,
>> baypiggies will meet at the Symantec Vcafe at
>> 350 Ellis Street, Mountain View, CA 94043
>> on the fourth thursday of each month,
>> from 7:30 to 9 PM.
>>
>> For February 26: The Factory Module, by Pete Fein
>> possible additional talk on PyDev
>> Newbie Nugget: Decorators, by Charles Merriam
>>

>> At this time, subsequent meeting topics appear to be:
>>
>> March 26: Tools Night, coordinated by Simeon Franklin
>>
>> April 23: Alternatives for Writing C and C++ Extensions
>> for Computer Vision Research, by Damian Eads

In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa
http://jjinux.blogspot.com/

Re: Time for a reminder about meeting Thu 2/26 at Symantec...

Stephen McInerney
Guys,

No, because the wiki no longer has a point, since December - except for the
small subset of people who want to rideshare - which I pointed out - although
I should have been more clear.
My comment was along the lines of "unless Symantec's security need a signin wiki
(which I don't think they do?), the wiki's obsolete and people already stopped using it,
so don't be surprised that it's stale"
One side-effect of not having a wiki is we have no signin sheet for all users, which is nice info to have.
You can see people stopped signing up on the wiki back in January already.
Whoever is the Symantec contact (Hans?) may or may not want to add logistic
details on the wiki; I've never been inside Symantec Ellis St, so I don't want to tell
people the wrong things, like can we all park there, or where the nearest Caltrain stop
with regular service is (Castro St I suspect), or whether it's faster to walk/cycle from
Castro St or take the VTA or bus (which one?). I know nothing about things like that,
otherwise I'd add them.

(I had intended to _maybe_ look into programming an RSVP and rideshare widget,
which might be a neat Plone hack, but I won't have time for that till July, so no promise. )

Anyway that's all. I should have been more clear.

Best,

> Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 01:11:10 -0800
> Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] Time for a reminder about meeting Thu 2/26 at Symantec...
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>
> You feel like doing it, Stephen? ;)
>
> -jj
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Stephen McInerney
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Seems timely for a reminder about this Thursday's meeting at
> > the new new location Symantec in *Ellis St, Mountain View*.
> >
> > Seems we no longer need to sign up on the wiki except for people carpooling
> > or using public transit who want to organize rideshares.
> > In either case the wiki (needs updating - still has Jan details and Tech
> > location) moved to:
> > http://wiki.python.org/moin/BayPiggiesMeetingSignup
> >
> > Best,
> > Stephen
> >
> >> From: [hidden email]
> >> Subject: [Baypiggies] BayPIGgies meets February 26 at Symantec
> >>
> >> (BayPIGgies thanks Google for hosting us in the last
> >> few years. Now we've moved.)
> >>
> >> Beginning February and for some months afterward,
> >> baypiggies will meet at the Symantec Vcafe at
> >> 350 Ellis Street, Mountain View, CA 94043
> >> on the fourth thursday of each month,
> >> from 7:30 to 9 PM.
> >>
> >> For February 26: The Factory Module, by Pete Fein
> >> possible additional talk on PyDev
> >> Newbie Nugget: Decorators, by Charles Merriam
> >>

> >> At this time, subsequent meeting topics appear to be:
> >>
> >> March 26: Tools Night, coordinated by Simeon Franklin
> >>
> >> April 23: Alternatives for Writing C and C++ Extensions
> >> for Computer Vision Research, by Damian Eads

> In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
> with great love. -- Mother Teresa
> http://jjinux.blogspot.com/

Re: Time for a reminder about meeting Thu 2/26 at Symantec...

Shannon -jj Behrens
I guess I should have been more clear too.  I was suggesting you
delete everything that's not interesting and just put in some stuff
about carpooling, etc.

-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa
http://jjinux.blogspot.com/

Re: Time for a reminder about meeting Thu 2/26 at Symantec...

Stephen McInerney

Done. It's badly lacking logistics details if anyone else can fill 'em in.
Apparently it's 21 min by VTA+walk / 35 min walk from MV Caltrain.
So public transit folks may need carpooling, or else update what I wrote.

If we no longer have advance sign-in or badging, then we should
probably make a point at every meeting to emphasize the mapping
segment and new attendees or out-of-towners are particularly welcome
to stand up and briefly introduce themselves and their interests.
Otherwise noone knows who they are or what their affiliation is -
esp if there will no longer be any badges. Just a thought.

See you there,
- Stephen

> Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 01:36:17 -0800
> Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] Time for a reminder about meeting Thu 2/26 at Symantec...
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>
> I guess I should have been more clear too. I was suggesting you
> delete everything that's not interesting and just put in some stuff
> about carpooling, etc.
>
> -jj
>
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:31 AM, Stephen McInerney
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > No, because the wiki no longer has a point, since December - except for the
> > small subset of people who want to rideshare - which I pointed out -
> > although
> > I should have been more clear.
> > My comment was along the lines of "unless Symantec's security need a signin
> > wiki
> > (which I don't think they do?), the wiki's obsolete and people already
> > stopped using it,
> > so don't be surprised that it's stale"
> > One side-effect of not having a wiki is we have no signin sheet for all
> > users, which is nice info to have.
> > You can see people stopped signing up on the wiki back in January already.
> > Whoever is the Symantec contact (Hans?) may or may not want to add logistic
> > details on the wiki; I've never been inside Symantec Ellis St, so I don't
> > want to tell
> > people the wrong things, like can we all park there, or where the nearest
> > Caltrain stop
> > with regular service is (Castro St I suspect), or whether it's faster to
> > walk/cycle from
> > Castro St or take the VTA or bus (which one?). I know nothing about things
> > like that,
> > otherwise I'd add them.
> >
> > (I had intended to _maybe_ look into programming an RSVP and rideshare
> > widget,
> > which might be a neat Plone hack, but I won't have time for that till July,
> > so no promise. )
> >
> > Anyway that's all. I should have been more clear.
> >
> > Best,
> >

> >> Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 01:11:10 -0800
> >> Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] Time for a reminder about meeting Thu 2/26 at
> >> Symantec...
> >> From: [hidden email]
> >> To: [hidden email]
> >> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> >>
> >> You feel like doing it, Stephen? ;)
> >>
> >> -jj

> >> --
> >> In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
> >> with great love. -- Mother Teresa
> >> http://jjinux.blogspot.com/
> >
> > ________________________________
> > It’s the same Hotmail®. If by “same” you mean up to 70% faster. Get your
> > account now.
>

> --
> In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
> with great love. -- Mother Teresa
> http://jjinux.blogspot.com/

Windows Live™ Hotmail®:…more than just e-mail. Check it out.

Re: BayPIGgies meets February 26 at Symantec

Pete-110
Anyone know a non-Starbucks laptop-friendly cafe nearby?  Thinking
about heading in that direction a bit early - gotta get out of the
house. ;-)

On Feb 11, 2009, at 10:39 AM, jim wrote:

> (BayPIGgies thanks Google for hosting us in the last
> few years. Now we've moved.)
>
> Beginning February and for some months afterward,
> baypiggies will meet at the Symantec Vcafe at
> 350 Ellis Street, Mountain View, CA 94043
> on the fourth thursday of each month,
> from 7:30 to 9 PM.
>
> For February 26: The Factory Module, by Pete Fein
> possible additional talk on PyDev
> Newbie Nugget: Decorators, by Charles Merriam
>

> At this time, subsequent meeting topics appear to be:
>
> March 26: Tools Night, coordinated by Simeon Franklin
>
> April 23: Alternatives for Writing C and C++ Extensions
> for Computer Vision Research, by Dameon Eads

Re: BayPIGgies meets February 26 at Symantec

hewson
Yelp.com says 'Red rock coffee co' has free wifi & is 5 minutes away.

-S

--
I am jack's amusing signature.

On Feb 26, 2009, at 1:32 PM, Pete <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone know a non-Starbucks laptop-friendly cafe nearby?  Thinking
> about heading in that direction a bit early - gotta get out of the
> house. ;-)
>

> On Feb 11, 2009, at 10:39 AM, jim wrote:
>

>> (BayPIGgies thanks Google for hosting us in the last
>> few years. Now we've moved.)
>>
>> Beginning February and for some months afterward,
>> baypiggies will meet at the Symantec Vcafe at
>> 350 Ellis Street, Mountain View, CA 94043
>> on the fourth thursday of each month,
>> from 7:30 to 9 PM.
>>
>> For February 26: The Factory Module, by Pete Fein
>> possible additional talk on PyDev
>> Newbie Nugget: Decorators, by Charles Merriam
>>

>> At this time, subsequent meeting topics appear to be:
>>
>> March 26: Tools Night, coordinated by Simeon Franklin
>>
>> April 23: Alternatives for Writing C and C++ Extensions
>> for Computer Vision Research, by Dameon Eads

Re: BayPIGgies meets February 26 at Symantec

wesley chun
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Stephen Cattaneo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yelp.com says 'Red rock coffee co' has free wifi & is 5 minutes away.
>
> On Feb 26, 2009, at 1:32 PM, Pete <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Anyone know a non-Starbucks laptop-friendly cafe nearby?  Thinking about
>> heading in that direction a bit early - gotta get out of the house. ;-)

they, and a couple of the chinese tea bars closeby also do, but
parking on/near castro around dinnertime is a nightmare.

good luck!
-- wesley
"Python Fundamentals", Prentice Hall, (c)2009
    http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com
http://cyberwebconsulting.com

Re: BayPIGgies meets February 26 at Symantec

Andy Wiggin
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Pete <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone know a non-Starbucks laptop-friendly cafe nearby?  Thinking about
> heading in that direction a bit early - gotta get out of the house. ;-)

There is a Peet's Coffee on Ellis about a half block from Symantec
(towards 101, opposite side of Ellis). I drive by it every day but
haven't been in it. I'm not sure of it's laptop friendliness... -Andy

Re: BayPIGgies meets February 26 at Symantec

Benjamin Sergeant
Anyplace might be good in Mountain View because there is the Google Free Wifi there, that I could catch with my ipod (the connection was dropping sometimes, and you need a google account).

- Benjamin

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Andy Wiggin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Pete <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone know a non-Starbucks laptop-friendly cafe nearby?  Thinking about
> heading in that direction a bit early - gotta get out of the house. ;-)

There is a Peet's Coffee on Ellis about a half block from Symantec
(towards 101, opposite side of Ellis). I drive by it every day but
haven't been in it. I'm not sure of it's laptop friendliness... -Andy

Unable to attend tonights meeting

Nathan Ramella
Hi guys,

I apologize for the short notice but something has cropped up that
will keep me on the Santa Cruz side of the hill tonight -- I will be
unable to give my pydev primer -- however I have all the slides/talk
written so if there is interest I can put together a presentation to
put up on youtube, although that doesn't do much for the gap in
tonights schedule for which I am very apologetic.

Sincerely,

-Nathan

Re: Unable to attend tonights meeting

Charles Merriam
Hm...

I'll write an expansion of my talk on Decorators.

I've got a few hours until the meeting.  :)

Charles

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Nathan Ramella <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I apologize for the short notice but something has cropped up that will keep
> me on the Santa Cruz side of the hill tonight -- I will be unable to give my
> pydev primer -- however I have all the slides/talk written so if there is
> interest I can put together a presentation to put up on youtube, although
> that doesn't do much for the gap in tonights schedule for which I am very
> apologetic.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> -Nathan

Re: Unable to attend tonights meeting

Shannon -jj Behrens
Charles,

Let's split the additional time.  Let's do two longish newbie nuggets.
 I can cover parsing Wikipedia dumps using SAX.

http://jjinux.blogspot.com/2009/01/python-parsing-wikipedia-dumps-using.html

-jj

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Nathan Ramella <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I apologize for the short notice but something has cropped up that will keep
> me on the Santa Cruz side of the hill tonight -- I will be unable to give my
> pydev primer -- however I have all the slides/talk written so if there is
> interest I can put together a presentation to put up on youtube, although
> that doesn't do much for the gap in tonights schedule for which I am very
> apologetic.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> -Nathan

In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa
http://jjinux.blogspot.com/

Re: Unable to attend tonights meeting

Shannon -jj Behrens
By the way, if you're interested in PyDev, you might also be
interested in my reviews of NetBeans and jVi:

http://jjinux.blogspot.com/search?q=netbeans

-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa
http://jjinux.blogspot.com/

Re: BayPIGgies meets February 26 at Symantec

Stephen McInerney

Please do add useful stuff like this to the wiki:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/BayPiggiesMeetingSignup

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:21:51 -0500
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
CC: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] BayPIGgies meets February 26 at Symantec

Anyplace might be good in Mountain View because there is the Google Free Wifi there, that I could catch with my ipod (the connection was dropping sometimes, and you need a google account).

- Benjamin

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Andy Wiggin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Pete <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone know a non-Starbucks laptop-friendly cafe nearby?  Thinking about
> heading in that direction a bit early - gotta get out of the house. ;-)

There is a Peet's Coffee on Ellis about a half block from Symantec
(towards 101, opposite side of Ellis). I drive by it every day but
haven't been in it. I'm not sure of it's laptop friendliness... -Andy

Windows Live™ Hotmail®:…more than just e-mail. Check it out.

Re: BayPIGgies meets February 26 at Symantec

hewson
Pete,

Is this your Factory project home [ http://code.google.com/p/python-factory/ ]?

[...]

---
Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement.

-- C.S. Lewis