Baypiggies- background info needed

12

Baypiggies- background info needed

Tony Cappellini-2

Apress wants to put a small paragraph in their newsletter about Baypiggies.

I need a little background information on the group.

When was the group first formed?
I remember going to the meetings at Stanford, I will assume those meetings were pretty close to the beginning. That was in 2005-2006.

Does anybody know how many members were currently have?
I'd speculate 100-200 even though we only see ~20 at the meetings.

Thanks

Re: Baypiggies- background info needed

Guido van Rossum
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Tony Cappellini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apress wants to put a small paragraph in their newsletter about Baypiggies.
>
> I need a little background information on the group.
>
> When was the group first formed?
> I remember going to the meetings at Stanford, I will assume those meetings
> were pretty close to the beginning. That was in 2005-2006.

It's way older. The wayback machine has this as the earliest snapshot
of baypiggies.net:

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20021116080721/http://www.baypiggies.net/

> Does anybody know how many members were currently have?

The list has nearly 800 addresses.

> I'd speculate 100-200 even though we only see ~20 at the meetings.

What happened? When I last visited (3 years ago?) I recall it was more
like 50-80. Even in the old Stanford years (run by Danny Yoo) I think
I saw 30-50.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)

Re: Baypiggies- background info needed

Jimmy Retzlaff
I think I started attending regularly at Stanford in 2001 or 2002. But
I remembered going once in the late 90s to a meeting small enough to
fit around a table. It was somewhere down around 1st and Trimble in
San Jose (I think I remember Aahz being there). I searched my email
and the first mention I still have was in the 8/16/1999 edition of the
Weekly Python-URL...

 * Local Python users groups are sprouting, and they seem to be called
   PIGgies!.  The San Francisco Bay Area has one, as does the
   Washington DC area.  Where will the next one crop up?

       http://www.baypiggies.org/
       http://www.python.org/Events.html#dcpiggies

Jimmy

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Tony Cappellini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apress wants to put a small paragraph in their newsletter about Baypiggies.
>
> I need a little background information on the group.
>
> When was the group first formed?
> I remember going to the meetings at Stanford, I will assume those meetings
> were pretty close to the beginning. That was in 2005-2006.
>
> Does anybody know how many members were currently have?
> I'd speculate 100-200 even though we only see ~20 at the meetings.
>

> Thanks

Re: Baypiggies- background info needed

Tony Cappellini-2

>>What happened? When I last visited (3 years ago?) I recall it was more
>>like 50-80.
It varies from meeting to meeting. Lately attendance has been close to what I quoted.

If you give another presentation, I'm sure we would fill the room.
(we do have openings for presentations for May-Dec too) ';-)

>>Even in the old Stanford years (run by Danny Yoo) I think
>>I saw 30-50.
I'm quoting statistics from what I can recollect, but I'm grateful for the more accurate input.

Re: Baypiggies- background info needed

Aahz
On Mon, Apr 04, 2011, Tony Cappellini wrote:

> When was the group first formed?
> I remember going to the meetings at Stanford, I will assume those
> meetings were pretty close to the beginning. That was in 2005-2006.

Why would you assume that?  You know what they say about "assume"?
BayPIGgies was already meeting when I first started with Python in 1999.
--
Aahz ([hidden email])           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"Beware of companies that claim to be like a family.  They might not be
lying."  --Jill Lundquist

Re: Baypiggies- background info needed

Shannon -jj Behrens
http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20021116080721/http://www.baypiggies.net/

Seeing that BayPiggies was alive and well in 2002 is pretty cool, but
seeing that the talk was by Drew Perttula blows my mind!  Drew, you da
man!

-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Re: Baypiggies- background info needed

Tony Cappellini
Egads- my memory is really bad. It doesn't seem that long ago-but who can argue with the Wayback machine?
I was at this meeting. I remember he showed the video spoof of once of the scenes from the Matrix.

Re: Baypiggies- background info needed

wesley chun
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Aahz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2011, Tony Cappellini wrote:
>>
>> When was the group first formed?
>> I remember going to the meetings at Stanford, I will assume those
>> meetings were pretty close to the beginning. That was in 2005-2006.
>
> Why would you assume that?  You know what they say about "assume"?
> BayPIGgies was already meeting when I first started with Python in 1999.

aahz is correct. the beginning came from deirdre who started it in
1999 as Aahz suggested:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/baypiggies/2005-December/000027.html

i don't know how many people know this because there are only a few of
us left from those days when we met at CoffeeNet off of Harrison in
SF!!! (yes, the first set of BayPIGgies meetings was up in the city.)
after all, it was the "BAY area Python Interest Group" hence where our
name came from. my first meeting was also in 1999.

here are details about the very *2nd* meeting at which Guido :-) spoke at:
http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/DNC4aFZPuydu8Bj98g1W

cheers,
-wesley

ps. thanks for the blast from the past!! wow, 12 years ago!!

"Python Web Development with Django", Addison Wesley, (c) 2009
    http://withdjango.com

wesley.chun : wescpy-gmail.com : @wescpy
http://cyberwebconsulting.com

Re: Baypiggies- background info needed

jim stockford

    Moving the meeting out of the Google campus
coincides with a decrease in meeting attendance.
My guesses are
* there's a luster to meeting at the Google campus that
  was lost.
* the first two or three meetings not on the Google
  campus created some confusion and broke some people's
  habits.
* at about the same time as the change of meeting
  place, a few python interest groups were established
  in San Franciso, and it's likely a few baypiggies
  attendees shifted their schedules to those groups.
* the change to 3.0 highlights the maturity of the
  language, and it may be that some baypiggies
  attendees became sufficiently specialized that they
  could not justify the time commitment (topics are
  necessarily somewhat general and introductory, given
  the perceived need to be accessible to a wide range
  of attendee backgrounds).

On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 10:30 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Tony Cappellini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Apress wants to put a small paragraph in their newsletter about Baypiggies.
> >
> > I need a little background information on the group.
> >
> > When was the group first formed?
> > I remember going to the meetings at Stanford, I will assume those meetings
> > were pretty close to the beginning. That was in 2005-2006.
>
> It's way older. The wayback machine has this as the earliest snapshot
> of baypiggies.net:
>
> http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20021116080721/http://www.baypiggies.net/
>
> > Does anybody know how many members were currently have?
>
> The list has nearly 800 addresses.
>
> > I'd speculate 100-200 even though we only see ~20 at the meetings.
>
> What happened? When I last visited (3 years ago?) I recall it was more
> like 50-80. Even in the old Stanford years (run by Danny Yoo) I think
> I saw 30-50.

Re: Baypiggies- background info needed

jim-258

    I believe Dierdre Moen was a founding member. Does
anyone have her contact info?

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:19 AM, wesley chun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Aahz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 04, 2011, Tony Cappellini wrote:
>>>
>>> When was the group first formed?
>>> I remember going to the meetings at Stanford, I will assume those
>>> meetings were pretty close to the beginning. That was in 2005-2006.
>>
>> Why would you assume that?  You know what they say about "assume"?
>> BayPIGgies was already meeting when I first started with Python in 1999.
>

> aahz is correct. the beginning came from deirdre who started it in
> 1999 as Aahz suggested:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/baypiggies/2005-December/000027.html
>
> i don't know how many people know this because there are only a few of
> us left from those days when we met at CoffeeNet off of Harrison in
> SF!!! (yes, the first set of BayPIGgies meetings was up in the city.)
> after all, it was the "BAY area Python Interest Group" hence where our
> name came from. my first meeting was also in 1999.
>
> here are details about the very *2nd* meeting at which Guido :-) spoke at:
> http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/DNC4aFZPuydu8Bj98g1W

one more link... this is deirdre's announcement for the first
BayPIGgies meeting *ever*:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/1999-May/000235.html

@jim: her email address from that post hasn't changed since. :-)

cheers,
-- wesley
"Core Python", Prentice Hall, (c)2007,2001
"Python Fundamentals", Prentice Hall, (c)2009
    http://corepython.com

wesley.chun : wescpy-gmail.com : @wescpy
http://cyberwebconsulting.com

Re: Baypiggies- background info needed

Guido van Rossum
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:23 AM, jim <[hidden email]> wrote:
[Sorry, jim who?]
> * at about the same time as the change of meeting
>  place, a few python interest groups were established
>  in San Franciso, and it's likely a few baypiggies
>  attendees shifted their schedules to those groups.

I'd be interested in knowing about those SF Python interest groups (I
don't see them as competing, they would just seem to be more local).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)

Re: Baypiggies- background info needed

Ned Deily
In article <[hidden email]>,
 Guido van Rossum <[hidden email]>
 wrote:
> I'd be interested in knowing about those SF Python interest groups (I
> don't see them as competing, they would just seem to be more local).

One of the largest is this one, the SF Python Meetup Group:

http://www.meetup.com/sfpython/events/past/

While there are currently ~1000 people signed up for the meeting list,
50 to 100+ people turn out for the irregularly scheduled talks;
depending on venues, there are waiting lists sometimes.  Grace Law has
been one of the key behind-the-scenes figures organizing recent meetups.

--
 Ned Deily,

Re: Baypiggies- background info needed

Simeon Franklin
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Guido van Rossum <[hidden email]> wrote:
 * at about the same time as the change of meeting
>  place, a few python interest groups were established
>  in San Franciso, and it's likely a few baypiggies
>  attendees shifted their schedules to those groups.

I'd be interested in knowing about those SF Python interest groups (I
don't see them as competing, they would just seem to be more local).

There is an SF Python meetup that I believe Grace Law organizes (http://www.meetup.com/sfpython/). Note that the review on the front page says:

"[snip] ... Meetings are way easier to get to than the Google Meetups in Mountain View. "

Which is perhaps a reference to Baypiggies? Also of interest to some is the San Francisco Django Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/The-San-Francisco-Django-Meetup-Group/) which competes for me in the sense that I can only afford the time to drive to the Bay Area for a few events a month. If I go to the Django Meetup I probably skip Baypiggies...

-regards
Simeon Franklin

Re: Baypiggies- background info needed

jim-258

    I don't know what happened with the SF Python groups
that Grace Law was evangelizing; others may.
    The PyWeb and the PyGames groups were meeting
monthly in the SF library; the regularity of these
groups seems to have gotten wobbly lately.
    Noisebridge has a Python class each Monday evening.
The PyPy road show came to Noisebridge a couple of
months ago for a weekend-long sprint. Noisebridge also
hosted a PyCon video event a couple of months after
last year's PyCon. Noisebridge has hosted a few other
one-offs in the last couple of years.

@deirdresm

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:24 AM, jim <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    I believe Dierdre Moen was a founding member. Does
> anyone have her contact info?
>

> On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 10:19 -0700, Tony Cappellini wrote:
>>
>> Apress wants to put a small paragraph in their newsletter about
>> Baypiggies.
>>
>> I need a little background information on the group.
>>
>> When was the group first formed?
>> I remember going to the meetings at Stanford, I will assume those
>> meetings were pretty close to the beginning. That was in 2005-2006.
>>
>> Does anybody know how many members were currently have?
>> I'd speculate 100-200 even though we only see ~20 at the meetings.
>>

>> Thanks

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)

Re: Baypiggies- background info needed

Emile van Sebille-3
On 4/4/2011 10:30 AM Guido van Rossum said...
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Tony Cappellini[hidden email]  wrote:
When was the group first formed?
I remember going to the meetings at Stanford, I will assume those meetings
were pretty close to the beginning. That was in 2005-2006.
It's way older. The wayback machine has this as the earliest snapshot
of baypiggies.net:

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20021116080721/http://www.baypiggies.net/

And this one of baypiggies.org from Nov 1999

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/19991217211416/http://www.baypiggies.org/

... and here's the one that caught my attention where the attendees were '... hanging from the rafters...'  to see Guido...

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20000303044540/http://baypiggies.org/

Emile

Re: Baypiggies- background info needed

Danny Yoo
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Jimmy Retzlaff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think I started attending regularly at Stanford in 2001 or 2002.

Hi Jimmy,

It's been a long time!

According to my fragmented records, Wesley Chun and I restarted the
group meetings in 2002.  I remember the first in-person meet I had
with Wesley: it was at the Borders in Palo Alto, and he didn't
recognize me holding a Python book, and thought I was just another kid
student.  :)

But after that meeting, I asked my boss for permission to host it at
my workplace, and to my pleasant surprise, she said yes!  We hosted it
at the Carnegie Institution of Washington in Stanford until 2006,
after which it relocated (and I went to grad school).

Re: Baypiggies- background info needed

Shannon -jj Behrens
There's a huge difference between the SF Python Meetup and BayPiggies.
 At BayPiggies, everyone tends to be older, the crowd is smaller, and
more people are looking for work.  At the SF Python Meetup, everyone
tends to be fairly young, the crowd is often fairly large, and lots of
startups are hiring.  A few months ago, there was a bidding war to see
who would come up with the best referral bonuses.

The SF Python Web meetup and the SF Python Game meetups have a bunch
of the same people, and they're usually only about 10 people.
(Although, it's 10 very nice people.)

Despite the small turnout at BayPiggies, it's still my favorite users
group among any that I attend (in Ruby, Scala, etc.).

-jj

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> What happened? When I last visited (3 years ago?) I recall it was more
> like 50-80. Even in the old Stanford years (run by Danny Yoo) I think
> I saw 30-50.

Personally, I find the current location uncomfortable, but even without
that, I was attending rarely enough that I'm not pushing to change
location.  (I like to arrive early to give myself a chance to settle in,
and the few times I showed up at Symantec the doors were opened only a
few minutes before 7:30.)