Baypiggies web site

12

Baypiggies web site

William Deegan-2
Greetings,

I've been maintaining the Baypiggies website for a while.
Currently it's running Plone.

Of late it's been throwing some error messages which are beyond my Plone knowledge level to resolve.
If there are any Baypiggies members who are very familiar with Plone please send me a message off list to ([hidden email])
Or if anyone could suggest another (preferably  written in python) CMS to use?

For those who don't know, the website has a the following content:
  1. Job listings
  2. Book Reviews
  3. RSS Feed for baypiggies events
  4. Just Added: Slides from Baypiggies Presentations

If you're a former (or future) presenter and would like to have a link to your blog and/or have your slides hosted and linked to from the event, please send me email off list.

Thanks,
Bill
(Baypiggies.net webminator)

Re: Baypiggies web site

snowwrite
There is a decent DjangoCMS http://www.django-cms.org/ that could be used instead. Although I've used Plone for a long, long time I'm leaning toward only using it for larger installs (intranets, large application builds that require heavy resources anyway) I'm finding it's overkill for most projects but works really well for larger installations (We build an app for CalTrans on it) So might be time to go Django and put the Plone site to rest. I don't have the time to maintain the Plone site (even in 3+ mode) I think our Pythonista's would be more comfortable with a python based site with a relational database (rather than object oriented) though Tony will have to move his book reviews..but we can export his reviews into xml format - does anyone know if we can import into Django once we've exported as xml?

Donna M Snow, Principal
C Squared Enterprises
illuminating your path to Open Source
(websites are being rebuilt)

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 6:11 PM, William Deegan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Donna,

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Donna Snow <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is a decent DjangoCMS http://www.django-cms.org/ that could be used instead. Although I've used Plone for a long, long time I'm leaning toward only using it for larger installs (intranets, large application builds that require heavy resources anyway) I'm finding it's overkill for most projects but works really well for larger installations (We build an app for CalTrans on it) So might be time to go Django and put the Plone site to rest. I don't have the time to maintain the Plone site (even in 3+ mode) I think our Pythonista's would be more comfortable with a python based site with a relational database (rather than object oriented) though Tony will have to move his book reviews..but we can export his reviews into xml format - does anyone know if we can import into Django once we've exported as xml?

I've actually been adding the book reviews as well.
I've written some logic to export the content as xml as well.

I think it wouldn't be to hard to hack up a converter to insert it into a DB.
I'd really like to write something for GAE and use that.

-Bill

[...]

Keith Dart ♂
=== On Mon, 03/01, Max Slimmer wrote: ===
> I've been working with web2py recently, if we wanted the option of
> running under GAE, it is a one liner.

===

How about a home-grown solution? Maybe we can start with the Pycopia
web framework? ;-) It also works with GAE. This framework is more "code
oriented". You write dynamic pages in pure Python.

-- Keith Dart

--
-- --------------------
Keith Dart

Re: Baypiggies web site

Rami Chowdhury
On Monday 01 March 2010 10:03:07 Keith Dart wrote:
> === On Mon, 03/01, Max Slimmer wrote: ===
>
> > I've been working with web2py recently, if we wanted the option of
> > running under GAE, it is a one liner.
>
> ===
>
> How about a home-grown solution?

Why not start from scratch and build our own new framework ;-)?

----
Rami Chowdhury
"Ninety percent of everything is crap." -- Sturgeon's Law
408-597-7068 (US) / 07875-841-046 (UK) / 01819-245544 (BD)

Re: Baypiggies web site

Tony Cappellini
Home grown solutions are great, if the home grower is volunteering to do the work, and maintain the site.
History shows reality is just the opposite.

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Keith Dart <[hidden email]> wrote:
=== On Mon, 03/01, Max Slimmer wrote: ===
> I've been working with web2py recently, if we wanted the option of
> running under GAE, it is a one liner.

===

How about a home-grown solution? Maybe we can start with the Pycopia
web framework? ;-) It also works with GAE. This framework is more "code
oriented". You write dynamic pages in pure Python.

-- Keith Dart

--
-- --------------------
Keith Dart
<[hidden email]>

Re: Baypiggies web site

Fred C-3

On Mar 1, 2010, at 10:16 AM, Rami Chowdhury wrote:

> On Monday 01 March 2010 10:03:07 Keith Dart wrote:
>> === On Mon, 03/01, Max Slimmer wrote: ===
>>
>>> I've been working with web2py recently, if we wanted the option of
>>> running under GAE, it is a one liner.
>>
>> ===
>>
>> How about a home-grown solution?
>
> Why not start from scratch and build our own new framework ;-)?

It seems that every one starting a new website project with Python wants to write his own framework. If you guys want to be crazy, at least be completely crazy and write it in Ruby.

-fred-

Re: Baypiggies web site

Tony Cappellini
There are already too many web frameworks out there.
We don't need another one. We just need one that works, and someone to do the work.

=== On Mon, 03/01, Tony Cappellini wrote: ===
> Home grown solutions are great, if the home grower is volunteering to
> do the work, and maintain the site.History shows reality is just the
> opposite.
===

Well, I _am_ maintaining that one. But on the other hand it might not
be a good fit for this since it is designed to be a flexible,
lightweight framework that works securely in an embedded or dedicated
appliance device.

But it is home grown. :-)

-- Keith Dart

--
-- --------------------
Keith Dart

Re: Baypiggies web site

K Richard Pixley
Fred C wrote:
On Mar 1, 2010, at 10:16 AM, Rami Chowdhury wrote
On Monday 01 March 2010 10:03:07 Keith Dart wrote:

=== On Mon, 03/01, Max Slimmer wrote: ===

I've been working with web2py recently, if we wanted the option of
running under GAE, it is a one liner.

===

How about a home-grown solution?

Why not start from scratch and build our own new framework ;-)?

It seems that every one starting a new website project with Python wants to write his own framework. If you guys want to be crazy, at least be completely crazy and write it in Ruby.
And here I was thinking we should develop our own language for the project.  Then we'd be certain to need a new framework for the new language.

If we're going to recycle an old language, I nominate mercury, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_%28programming_language%29).

--rich

Re: Baypiggies web site

Rami Chowdhury
On Monday 01 March 2010 10:33:57 Tony Cappellini wrote:
> Are you volunteering to do this?

Sorry, irony doesn't come across well on the Internet. I was just referring to
the multiplicity of home-grown frameworks that we already have in the Python
world ;-)

I'm personally +1 to use something like Django or Web2py -- something familiar
and therefore maintainable.

<[hidden email]>wrote:

> > > ===
> > >
> > > How about a home-grown solution?
> >
> > Why not start from scratch and build our own new framework ;-)?
> >

> > ----
> > Rami Chowdhury
> > "Ninety percent of everything is crap." -- Sturgeon's Law
> > 408-597-7068 (US) / 07875-841-046 (UK) / 01819-245544 (BD)

----
Rami Chowdhury
"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never
sure". -- Segal's Law

=== On Mon, 03/01, K. Richard Pixley wrote: ===
> If we're going to recycle an old language, I nominate mercury,
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_%28programming_language%29).
===

I nominate Boo.

http://boo.codehaus.org/

:-)

-- Keith Dart

--
-- --------------------
Keith Dart

Re: Baypiggies web site

Alan Westbrook-2
On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 10:57 AM, K. Richard Pixley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fred C wrote:
>
> On Mar 1, 2010, at 10:16 AM, Rami Chowdhury wrote
>
> On Monday 01 March 2010 10:03:07 Keith Dart wrote:
>

> === On Mon, 03/01, Max Slimmer wrote: ===
>

> I've been working with web2py recently, if we wanted the option of
> running under GAE, it is a one liner.
>

> ===
>
> How about a home-grown solution?
>

> Why not start from scratch and build our own new framework ;-)?
>

> It seems that every one starting a new website project with Python wants to
> write his own framework. If you guys want to be crazy, at least be
> completely crazy and write it in Ruby.
>
> And here I was thinking we should develop our own language for the project.
> Then we'd be certain to need a new framework for the new language.
>
> If we're going to recycle an old language, I nominate mercury,
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_%28programming_language%29).
>
> --rich

If we design a new OS, we can custom tailor the language to take
advantage of the ingenious features of it!

Re: Baypiggies web site

Stephen McInerney
+1 to Django - to allow/encourage other maintainers and developers.
We might as well use the latest greatest dogfood.

Stephen

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 10:59:08 -0800
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] Baypiggies web site
>
> On Monday 01 March 2010 10:33:57 Tony Cappellini wrote:
> > Are you volunteering to do this?
> >

> Sorry, irony doesn't come across well on the Internet. I was just referring to
> the multiplicity of home-grown frameworks that we already have in the Python
> world ;-)
>
> I'm personally +1 to use something like Django or Web2py -- something familiar
> and therefore maintainable.
>
> > On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Rami Chowdhury
> <[hidden email]>wrote:

> > > Why not start from scratch and build our own new framework ;-)?
> > >

> > > ----
> > > Rami Chowdhury
> > > "Ninety percent of everything is crap." -- Sturgeon's Law
> > > 408-597-7068 (US) / 07875-841-046 (UK) / 01819-245544 (BD)
>

> ----
> Rami Chowdhury
> "A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never
> sure". -- Segal's Law
> 408-597-7068 (US) / 07875-841-046 (UK) / 01819-245544 (BD)

Re: Baypiggies web site

William Deegan-2
How hard is it to run Django on GAE?

Have we had a talk on that yet?
;)

-Bill

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Stephen McInerney <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 to Django - to allow/encourage other maintainers and developers.
We might as well use the latest greatest dogfood.

Stephen

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 10:59:08 -0800
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] Baypiggies web site

> On Monday 01 March 2010 10:33:57 Tony Cappellini wrote:
> > Are you volunteering to do this?
> >

> Sorry, irony doesn't come across well on the Internet. I was just referring to
> the multiplicity of home-grown frameworks that we already have in the Python
> world ;-)
>
> I'm personally +1 to use something like Django or Web2py -- something familiar
> and therefore maintainable.
>
> > On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Rami Chowdhury
> <[hidden email]>wrote:

> > > Why not start from scratch and build our own new framework ;-)?
> > >

> > > ----
> > > Rami Chowdhury
> > > "Ninety percent of everything is crap." -- Sturgeon's Law
> > > 408-597-7068 (US) / 07875-841-046 (UK) / 01819-245544 (BD)
>

> ----
> Rami Chowdhury
> "A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never
> sure". -- Segal's Law
> 408-597-7068 (US) / 07875-841-046 (UK) / 01819-245544 (BD)

Re: Baypiggies web site

Stephen McInerney
How about seeing the dog-and-pony show on that BEFORE we consider migrating :)

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 11:12:34 -0800
Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] Baypiggies web site
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]

=== On Mon, 03/01, William Deegan wrote: ===
> How hard is it to run Django on GAE?Have we had a talk on that yet?
===

GAE is based on Django. The API is virtually identical. The main
difference is big-tables back-end storage vs. a relational database.

-- Keith Dart

--
-- --------------------
Keith Dart

Re: Baypiggies web site

Rami Chowdhury
On Monday 01 March 2010 11:12:34 William Deegan wrote:
> How hard is it to run Django on GAE?

Apparently it's doable -- there's a fairly active project here:
http://code.google.com/p/google-app-engine-django/

There's also apparently the Kay Framework, which is designed specifically to
be Django-like but for GAE... and uses a lot of the existing Python web app
ecosystem:
http://code.google.com/p/kay-framework/

> Have we had a talk on that yet?
> ;)
>
> -Bill
>
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Stephen McInerney
>
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
> >  +1 to Django - to allow/encourage other maintainers and developers.
> >
> > We might as well use the latest greatest dogfood.
> >
> > Stephen
> >
> > > From: [hidden email]
> > > To: [hidden email]
> > > Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 10:59:08 -0800
> > > CC: [hidden email]
> > > Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] Baypiggies web site

> > > Sorry, irony doesn't come across well on the Internet. I was just
> >
> > referring to
> >
> > > the multiplicity of home-grown frameworks that we already have in the
> >
> > Python
> >
> > > world ;-)
> > >
> > > I'm personally +1 to use something like Django or Web2py -- something
> >
> > familiar
> >
> > > and therefore maintainable.

> > of

> > > ----
> > > Rami Chowdhury
> > > "A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is
> >
> > never
> >
> > > sure". -- Segal's Law
> > > 408-597-7068 (US) / 07875-841-046 (UK) / 01819-245544 (BD)

----
Rami Chowdhury
"Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity." --
Hanlon's Razor

Rami Chowdhury wrote:
I'm personally +1 to use something like Django or Web2py -- something familiar
and therefore maintainable.

It also needs to be sufficiently modern and sexy enough to attract new volunteers.  Ie, something people want to work in.

--rich

12