Baypiggies website?

Mike Cheponis
Hi,

Where is the Baypiggies website?

http://www.baypiggies.net/  seems to be useless, with some rant from some guy who needs to chill out or something...

Thanks -Mike

Re: Baypiggies website?

Guido van Rossum
On 11/28/05, Mike Cheponis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Where is the Baypiggies website?
>
> http://www.baypiggies.net/  seems to be useless, with some rant from some guy who needs to chill out or something...

Wow. I had no idea. Has anyone spoken to Deirdre about this? I'm not
sure what the point is of killing a user group's main point of contact
(feeble as it is) due to a lack of standards. All I can say is I'm
glad she's not in charge of python.org. While I see standard
compliance as a useful goal I don't see the point of such draconian
measures in a purely volunteer-run group -- even if (as Deirdre has
indicated) you're no longer interested in the group's activities.
Apart from the website management the group seems to be fully
functional -- we have monthly meetings visited by 20-50 people.

Re: Baypiggies website?

Aahz
On Mon, Nov 28, 2005, Mike Cheponis wrote:

> Where is the Baypiggies website?
>
> http://www.baypiggies.net/ seems to be useless, with some rant from
> some guy who needs to chill out or something...

We're still working on transferring it.  Transferring the mailing list
was easier and higher priority.  We'll send out an update once the new
site is up.

Deirdre has apologized in private e-mail for losing her temper; she's
been under a lot of stress lately and feeling responsible for BayPIGgies
(even though she hasn't been involved for years) pushed her over the
edge.  She deserves our accolades for starting BayPIGgies and continuing
to host both web site and mailing list even after she dropped out.
--
Aahz ([hidden email])           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

until you hire an amateur."  --Red Adair

Re: Baypiggies website?

Shannon -jj Behrens
Being quite anal, I'm capable of creating a fully DTD-compliant Web
site.  I can help in whatever way is appropriate including hosting it
myself.

Best Regards,
-jj

On 11/28/05, Aahz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005, Mike Cheponis wrote:
> >
> > Where is the Baypiggies website?
> >
> > http://www.baypiggies.net/ seems to be useless, with some rant from
> > some guy who needs to chill out or something...
>
> We're still working on transferring it.  Transferring the mailing list
> was easier and higher priority.  We'll send out an update once the new
> site is up.
>
> Deirdre has apologized in private e-mail for losing her temper; she's
> been under a lot of stress lately and feeling responsible for BayPIGgies
> (even though she hasn't been involved for years) pushed her over the
> edge.  She deserves our accolades for starting BayPIGgies and continuing
> to host both web site and mailing list even after she dropped out.
> --
> Aahz ([hidden email])           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/
>
> "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait
> until you hire an amateur."  --Red Adair

Hacking is to climbing Mt. Everest as
software engineering is to building a Denny's there.

Re: Baypiggies website?

Giles Bowkett
grr! argh! how dare people not comply to standards!

grr! argh! how dare that guy not host a convenient resource for free!

grr! argh! Deirdre is a girl's name!

grr!

argh!

everybody loses their temper every now and then. I just hope Deirdre
hasn't defected to Ruby...

On 11/28/05, Aahz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005, Mike Cheponis wrote:
> >
> > Where is the Baypiggies website?
> >
> > http://www.baypiggies.net/ seems to be useless, with some rant from
> > some guy who needs to chill out or something...
>
> We're still working on transferring it.  Transferring the mailing list
> was easier and higher priority.  We'll send out an update once the new
> site is up.
>
> Deirdre has apologized in private e-mail for losing her temper; she's
> been under a lot of stress lately and feeling responsible for BayPIGgies
> (even though she hasn't been involved for years) pushed her over the
> edge.  She deserves our accolades for starting BayPIGgies and continuing
> to host both web site and mailing list even after she dropped out.
> --
> Aahz ([hidden email])           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/
>
> "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait
> until you hire an amateur."  --Red Adair

Giles Bowkett = Giles Goat Boy
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org/

Re: Baypiggies website?

Eric Walstad
On Monday 28 November 2005 04:13 pm, Aahz wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005, Mike Cheponis wrote:
> > Where is the Baypiggies website?
> >
> > http://www.baypiggies.net/ seems to be useless, with some rant from
> > some guy who needs to chill out or something...
>
> We're still working on transferring it.  Transferring the mailing list
> was easier and higher priority.  We'll send out an update once the new
> site is up.
>
> Deirdre has apologized in private e-mail for losing her temper; she's
> been under a lot of stress lately and feeling responsible for BayPIGgies
> (even though she hasn't been involved for years) pushed her over the
> edge.  She deserves our accolades for starting BayPIGgies and continuing
> to host both web site and mailing list even after she dropped out.

BayPiggies is dead!  Long live BayPiggies!

Thanks, Deirdre, for maintaining the site for so long.  I didn't know there
was an issue there.  I'm happy to pitch in some maintenance time and/or
financial donation going forward.  I appreciate the people and expertise on
this list.

Eric.

Re: Baypiggies website?

Webb Sprague
I have to say--this episode should be on Seinfeld.  It is a shame that
only people who subscribe to the baypiggies list can enjoy it.

On 11/28/05, Giles Bowkett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> grr! argh! how dare people not comply to standards!

<SNIP>

Whoops!  I meant "<snip>"

Re: Baypiggies website?

Rob Orsini
On Nov 28, 2005, at 4:02 PM, Mike Cheponis wrote:

> http://www.baypiggies.net/  seems to be useless, with some rant from
> some guy who needs to chill out or something...

Yeah, but check out the source! It's impeccable. I'm floored by the
sheer beauty it its strict compliance. Bravo. Prozac for everyone, on
the house.

Rob

Re: Baypiggies website?

Danny Yoo
> BayPiggies is dead!  Long live BayPiggies!
>
> Thanks, Deirdre, for maintaining the site for so long.  I didn't know
> there was an issue there.  I'm happy to pitch in some maintenance time
> and/or financial donation going forward.  I appreciate the people and
> expertise on this list.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a hosting system available?  I'll be calling up a few
hosts tomorrow like bluehost.com; if there are other good hosts that
people recommend, we'd be happy to hear from you.

Deirdre did give us archives of the web site, so we're not really in any
trouble of losing the old data.  We just need a place to host the content,
and we'll do the domain name transfer as soon as we can.

Please contact Wes, Aahz, Tony, and me.  Thank you, and apologies for the
inconvenience.

Re: Baypiggies website?

Giles Bowkett
My host is teh sukc, but this is where I'm planning to jump ship:

http://www.a2hosting.com/?mln

On 11/28/05, Danny Yoo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > BayPiggies is dead!  Long live BayPiggies!
> >
> > Thanks, Deirdre, for maintaining the site for so long.  I didn't know
> > there was an issue there.  I'm happy to pitch in some maintenance time
> > and/or financial donation going forward.  I appreciate the people and
> > expertise on this list.
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Does anyone have a hosting system available?  I'll be calling up a few
> hosts tomorrow like bluehost.com; if there are other good hosts that
> people recommend, we'd be happy to hear from you.
>
> Deirdre did give us archives of the web site, so we're not really in any
> trouble of losing the old data.  We just need a place to host the content,
> and we'll do the domain name transfer as soon as we can.
>
> Please contact Wes, Aahz, Tony, and me.  Thank you, and apologies for the
> inconvenience.

Giles Bowkett = Giles Goat Boy
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org/

Re: Baypiggies website?

Michael Bernstein-2
On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 17:28 -0800, Danny Yoo wrote:

> > BayPiggies is dead!  Long live BayPiggies!
> >
> > Thanks, Deirdre, for maintaining the site for so long.  I didn't know
> > there was an issue there.  I'm happy to pitch in some maintenance time
> > and/or financial donation going forward.  I appreciate the people and
> > expertise on this list.
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Does anyone have a hosting system available?  I'll be calling up a few
> hosts tomorrow like bluehost.com; if there are other good hosts that
> people recommend, we'd be happy to hear from you.

I've been fairly happy with python-hosting.com. The owner has been known
to give free accounts to python-community-oriented projects in return
for a 'hosted by' badge.

- Michael Bernstein

Re: Baypiggies website?

iter
Webb Sprague <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 11/28/05, Giles Bowkett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > grr! argh! how dare people not comply to standards!
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Whoops!  I meant "<snip>"

It being xhtml, you probably meant "<snip/>"

Seriously, I can host the site on my DreamHost account - I have more
than enough space and bandwidth that I'm not using.

Ari

--
Elections only count as free and trials as fair if you can lose money
betting on the outcome.

Re: Baypiggies website?

richbodo
I just spoke to Joe at via.net and he offered to host the site.  I've
always had good experience with them.

-Rich

On 11/28/05, Danny Yoo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > BayPiggies is dead!  Long live BayPiggies!
> >
> > Thanks, Deirdre, for maintaining the site for so long.  I didn't know
> > there was an issue there.  I'm happy to pitch in some maintenance time
> > and/or financial donation going forward.  I appreciate the people and
> > expertise on this list.
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Does anyone have a hosting system available?  I'll be calling up a few
> hosts tomorrow like bluehost.com; if there are other good hosts that
> people recommend, we'd be happy to hear from you.
>
> Deirdre did give us archives of the web site, so we're not really in any
> trouble of losing the old data.  We just need a place to host the content,
> and we'll do the domain name transfer as soon as we can.
>
> Please contact Wes, Aahz, Tony, and me.  Thank you, and apologies for the
> inconvenience.

Re: Baypiggies website?

Eric Walstad
On Monday 28 November 2005 17:28, Danny Yoo wrote:

> > BayPiggies is dead!  Long live BayPiggies!
> >
> > Thanks, Deirdre, for maintaining the site for so long.  I didn't
> > know there was an issue there.  I'm happy to pitch in some
> > maintenance time and/or financial donation going forward.  I
> > appreciate the people and expertise on this list.
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Does anyone have a hosting system available?  I'll be calling up a
> few hosts tomorrow like bluehost.com; if there are other good hosts
> that people recommend, we'd be happy to hear from you.
>
> Deirdre did give us archives of the web site, so we're not really
> in any trouble of losing the old data.  We just need a place to
> host the content, and we'll do the domain name transfer as soon as
> we can.
>
> Please contact Wes, Aahz, Tony, and me.  Thank you, and apologies
> for the inconvenience.

Hi Danny,

What are the hosting software, diskspace and bandwidth requirements?

I've been using python-hosting.com ever since hurrah.com closed their
doors a few months ago.  I've been happy with their service, although
I must admit mine is a lightly used site so I can't vouch for their
performance under heavy loads.  However, they do support most all the
python-web-frameworks-du-jour, their pricing seems fair and their
support and response time is, at the very least, reasonable.  They
have my recommendation.

On the other hand, what about python.net?  Is it possible they'd be
willing to host our (presumably) lightly hammered baypiggies site?

Eric.

Re: Baypiggies website?

Aahz
On Mon, Nov 28, 2005, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Wow. I had no idea. Has anyone spoken to Deirdre about this? I'm
> not sure what the point is of killing a user group's main point of
> contact (feeble as it is) due to a lack of standards. All I can
> say is I'm glad she's not in charge of python.org. While I see
> standard compliance as a useful goal I don't see the point of such
> draconian measures in a purely volunteer-run group -- even if (as
> Deirdre has indicated) you're no longer interested in the group's
> activities.  Apart from the website management the group seems to be
> fully functional -- we have monthly meetings visited by 20-50 people.

The mailing list has always been the group's main point of contact, so
that was my first priority.  Deirdre has been suddenly dumped into a
situation where she cannot provide the necessary sysadmin bandwidth for
keeping BayPIGgies up on her personal machine; we were already talking
about moving the site before the web standards issue came up.

The web standards issue is really a red herring.  I would say that it was
in the grand scheme of things a minor problem that became the straw that
broke the camel's back.

Not to pick on you, Guido, or anyone else, but we already making progress
toward getting everything fixed, it's simply a matter of time and trying
to keep things orderly.  Talking about it on-list will not speed things
appreciably.
--
Aahz ([hidden email])           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

until you hire an amateur."  --Red Adair

Re: Baypiggies website?

Guido van Rossum
On 11/28/05, Aahz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not to pick on you, Guido, or anyone else, but we already making progress
> toward getting everything fixed, it's simply a matter of time and trying
> to keep things orderly.  Talking about it on-list will not speed things
> appreciably.

And that's much appreciated, as is Deirdre's support for so many
years. I fondly recall my first visit to a baypiggies meeting that she
hosted at a small cafe in SF. (Boy we've grown.)

But IMO it's better to be open about what's going on and who's doing
something about it than to confront with surprise mailing list
rehosting and a sudden disappearance of the website. I hope Deirdre
will (let someone?) replace her current message with something like
"Due to a change in the hosting situation the Baybpiggies site is
temporarily closed; please come back in a while."

Re: Baypiggies website?

Giles Bowkett
mais oui! also, taking it all off-list deprives us of the inevitable
this vs. that wars, i.e., TurboGears vs. Django, etc.

(I'm mainly just being obnoxious here, but the truth is if you observe
what the main points of contention in those sorts of debates are, you
do actually get a good idea of what the motivating design principles
are too. I'll even admit to provoking those little battles once in a
while just to see what happens. all that "my favorite muppet kicks
your favorite muppet's ass!" stuff can actually be quite informative.)

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005, Danny Yoo wrote:

> Does anyone have a hosting system available?  I'll be calling up a few
> hosts tomorrow like bluehost.com; if there are other good hosts that
> people recommend, we'd be happy to hear from you.

If I end up being the point person on taking over the domain, I'm
probably going to use pair.com.  They're reliable and inexpensive, but
not cheap.