Best collaborative multi-user, multi-project notebook workflow?

Best collaborative multi-user, multi-project notebook workflow?

Patrick Surry-2
To date I've mainly been using ipython notebook to do data analysis with pandas in a single-user mode: pull data to my local machine, set up a notebook, do some analysis, share some output.  If anything, my main complaint has been lack of multi-directory support (eagerly awaiting its arrival!), leading me to store all my notebooks in a single folder, which is getting a bit unwieldy, but somehow feels easier/safer than trying to manage multiple notebook servers in a multitude of directories and keeping track of which notebooks/shells are still running etc.

Anyway, I'm thinking about how to expand to a team > 1, and looking for recommendations about how to share, collaborate on, manage and archive multiple notebook projects.  Should everyone run ipython on a shared server, or does each user keep local and use git or the like to share?  In general can multiple user changes to a notebook be safely merged with git without breaking its structure?  Is there a good way to experiment with multi-directory support yet, or is UI still a blocker?  Any other best practice recommendations?

Thanks,
Patrick

Re: Best collaborative multi-user, multi-project notebook workflow?

Damián Avila
Some quick answer... but essentially, a lot of the thinks you are asking are planned to be developed during this year...

Anyway, I'm thinking about how to expand to a team > 1, and looking for recommendations about how to share, collaborate on, manage and archive multiple notebook projects.  Should everyone run ipython on a shared server, or does each user keep local and use git or the like to share?

A first version of multi-user notebook is planned to begin the development after the release of 2.0. and it is probably the main feature for the next 6 month cycle. But, right now, the multi-user capabilities are non-existing and you have share your notebooks with others if you want to collaborate with them.

In general can multiple user changes to a notebook be safely merged with git without breaking its structure?

No, there will be some problems, but it is planned to support some sort of diff and merge function inside IPython.

Is there a good way to experiment with multi-directory support yet, or is UI still a blocker?

In master, and in the next upcoming release, you have the capability to navigate directories from the dashboard.

Any other best practice recommendations?

Probably all your needs will be covered in a couple of months ;-)

Thanks,
Patrick

Damián Avila
Scientific Python Developer
Quantitative Finance Analyst
Statistics, Biostatistics and Econometrics Consultant
Biochemist

Re: Best collaborative multi-user, multi-project notebook workflow?

Jason Moore
You could try sagemathcloud which has support for IPython notebooks and real time collaborative editing of them.

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Damián Avila <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Doug Blank
On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 7:24 AM, Patrick Surry <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Have you looked at Sage's recent IPython interface? The recent changes [1] are very interesting, allowing multi-users to edit the same document simultaneously. I think it serves as a nice prototype of what an IPython server can do.

-Doug

Thanks,
Patrick

Re: Best collaborative multi-user, multi-project notebook workflow?

Imills
Check out Wakari.io or enterprise.wakari.io

A web-based UI for IPython notebooks enabling collaboration on projects between multiple users.

Sounds like this could be exactly what you are looking for.