Best way to contribute

Campbell Barton
Hi, Id like to contribute some changes to the C/API docs

http://docs.python.org/api/api.html

I mailed my changes to [hidden email] but only got an auto-reply.

Would the best way to submit changes be to checkout Python, edit the tex
file in the Doc/api directory and submit a patch?

Should I submit the patch to the tracker or to this list?

--
Campbell J Barton (ideasman42)

Re: Best way to contribute

Fred Drake-3
On Aug 10, 2007, at 12:52 AM, Campbell Barton wrote:
> Hi, Id like to contribute some changes to the C/API docs
>
> http://docs.python.org/api/api.html
>
> I mailed my changes to [hidden email] but only got an auto-reply.

There have been some substantial changes in how the [hidden email]
address is handled recently, so resending would be fine, but we can
answer here as well.

We're about to move away from using LaTeX for the documentation, so
LaTeX patches probably aren't the best approach any more.

Perhaps you could re-send the changes to [hidden email], or send
them here.  We do appreciate your interest in contributing.

   -Fred

--
Fred Drake   <fdrake at acm.org>

Re: Best way to contribute

Lea Wiemann
On 8/10/07, Fred Drake <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We're about to move away from using LaTeX for the documentation, so
> LaTeX patches probably aren't the best approach any more.

Regarding the move to reStructuredText, even at the point where the
tool-chain is stable, it will take some time till the migration
actually happens.  I'd assume that an *optimistic* time-line for
moving to the complete documentation to reStructuredText is a couple
months from now.

So don't discourage contribtions in LaTeX too early. ;-)  We'll have
(more or less automatic) conversion tools in place anyway.

Best wishes,

    Lea

Re: Best way to contribute

Alan Green-2
Hi Campbell,

I contributed a small amount of documentation, several years ago. It
took many months before someone had the time to pick up the change,
review it and approve it.

If it's something you don't need feedback on, I'd counsel patience. If
you do need feedback, then it might be best to get in touch with some
of the developers working in the area that you'd like to document.

Cheers,

Alan.

On 8/10/07, Campbell Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, Id like to contribute some changes to the C/API docs
>
> http://docs.python.org/api/api.html
>
> I mailed my changes to [hidden email] but only got an auto-reply.
>
> Would the best way to submit changes be to checkout Python, edit the tex
> file in the Doc/api directory and submit a patch?
>
> Should I submit the patch to the tracker or to this list?
>
> --
> Campbell J Barton (ideasman42)

Alan Green
[hidden email] - http://bright-green.com

Re: Best way to contribute

Skip Montanaro-3

    Campbell> Hi, Id like to contribute some changes to the C/API docs
    Campbell>
    Campbell> http://docs.python.org/api/api.html
    Campbell>
    Campbell> I mailed my changes to [hidden email] but only got an
    Campbell> auto-reply.
    Campbell>
    Campbell> Would the best way to submit changes be to checkout Python,
    Campbell> edit the tex file in the Doc/api directory and submit a patch?
    Campbell>
    Campbell> Should I submit the patch to the tracker or to this list?

    Alan> I contributed a small amount of documentation, several years
    Alan> ago. It took many months before someone had the time to pick up
    Alan> the change, review it and approve it.

Any patches should be submitted to SourceForge with attached diffs to the
Subversion repositry (in the relatively near future the new Roundup-based
tracker will replace SF).  There are many people who read and respond to
those submissions who aren't subscribed to this mailing list.

--
Skip Montanaro - [hidden email] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/

Re: Best way to contribute

Georg Brandl-2
Lea Wiemann schrieb:

> On 8/10/07, Fred Drake <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We're about to move away from using LaTeX for the documentation, so
>> LaTeX patches probably aren't the best approach any more.
>
> Regarding the move to reStructuredText, even at the point where the
> tool-chain is stable, it will take some time till the migration
> actually happens.  I'd assume that an *optimistic* time-line for
> moving to the complete documentation to reStructuredText is a couple
> months from now.

I wouldn't think so :)

If you look in svn.python.org/projects/doctools, the replacement trees are
already there and waiting to be moved into python/Doc -- they are maintained
in parallel at the moment. Conversion to HTML is stable and the Web version
won't be needed for many months. By that time, a PDF conversion will also be
in place.

I had in mind to write a switch announcement in the next few days.

Georg

Re: Best way to contribute

Lea Wiemann
Georg Brandl wrote:

> the replacement trees are
> already there and waiting to be moved into python/Doc

Woah, I'm sorry I completely missed that -- I hadn't been following
python-dev.  Anyways, thanks for the great work, I'm glad to see it
switched over!

Best wishes,

    Lea