Building PyQt5.Qsci when QScintilla is in a non-standard location

Building PyQt5.Qsci when QScintilla is in a non-standard location

bkw1a
Hi folks,

        I'm installing PyQt5 for a research group on a cluster where
I don't have administrative rights.  I can build and install most
of PyQt5 successfully, putting it into the group's storage space
by picking the appropriate arguments to give to configure.py.

        BUT, the group needs QScintilla too.  I've built
QScintilla and put it into the group's storage space, but this
isn't where the PyQt5 build system looks for it, so it's not
found and PyQt5.Qsci isn't built.

        How can I tell the PyQt5 build system where to find
Qscintilla?

        Thanks for any advice.

                                        Bryan

Bryan Wright              |"If you take cranberries and stew them like
Physics Department        | applesauce, they taste much more like prunes
University of Virginia    | than rhubarb does."  --  Groucho
Charlottesville, VA  22901|
(434) 924-7218            |         [hidden email]

Re: Building PyQt5.Qsci when QScintilla is in a non-standard location

Phil Thompson-5
On 19/07/2019 16:32, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm installing PyQt5 for a research group on a cluster where
> I don't have administrative rights.  I can build and install most
> of PyQt5 successfully, putting it into the group's storage space
> by picking the appropriate arguments to give to configure.py.
>
> BUT, the group needs QScintilla too.  I've built
> QScintilla and put it into the group's storage space, but this
> isn't where the PyQt5 build system looks for it, so it's not
> found and PyQt5.Qsci isn't built.
>
> How can I tell the PyQt5 build system where to find
> Qscintilla?

Run configure.py -h

Phil

Re: Building PyQt5.Qsci when QScintilla is in a non-standard location

bkw1a
Hi Phil,

        Thanks for pointing out the -a and -n options for
configure.py.  Those still don't seem to make PyQt5.QSci, though.
After going through make and make install again, I now have
a PyQt5.api file, but not PyQt5.QSci.

[hidden email] said:
> The extension module is called Qsci.so or Qsci.pyd depending on your
> platform.

        Adding -a and -n causes PyQt5.api to be built, but nothing
named Qsci.so or Qsci.pyd, either in the qscintilla directory or
the pyqt5 directory.

        In any case, the software I'm ultimately trying to install
(mcstas) refers to a python module named PyQt5.Qsci.  I see other
references to this module around the web.  For example:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40573291/ubuntu-eric-no-module-pyqt5-qsci

Was this an earlier name for the module?

On 22/07/2019 15:04, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> [hidden email] said:
>> The extension module is called Qsci.so or Qsci.pyd depending on your
>> platform.
>
> Adding -a and -n causes PyQt5.api to be built, but nothing
> named Qsci.so or Qsci.pyd, either in the qscintilla directory or
> the pyqt5 directory.

If you haven't done a 'make install' then the location of the file is
platform dependent.

> In any case, the software I'm ultimately trying to install
> (mcstas) refers to a python module named PyQt5.Qsci.  I see other
> references to this module around the web.  For example:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40573291/ubuntu-eric-no-module-pyqt5-qsci
>
> Was this an earlier name for the module?

No. The name of a Python module is not the same as the name of the file
that implements it.

Phil