Building against system expat

Bohuslav Kabrda
Hi, I'm trying to build Python 3.2.3 against system expat library, that lies out of the ordinary directory structure (under /opt). I also have an older version of expat library in the system. No matter what shell variables or options I pass to configure and make, pyexpat gets linked against the system expat, which results in errors during tests:

pyexpat.cpython-32dmu.so: undefined symbol: XML_SetHashSalt

anyone has any idea what to pass to configure/make to link pyexpat with the other expat?

Thanks!

Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.

Re: Building against system expat

Georg Brandl-2
On 25.04.2012 15:42, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to build Python 3.2.3 against system expat library, that lies
> out of the ordinary directory structure (under /opt). I also have an older
> version of expat library in the system. No matter what shell variables or
> options I pass to configure and make, pyexpat gets linked against the system
> expat, which results in errors during tests:
>
> pyexpat.cpython-32dmu.so: undefined symbol: XML_SetHashSalt
>
> anyone has any idea what to pass to configure/make to link pyexpat with the
> other expat?

You'll have to upgrade your expat.  The XML_SetHashSalt is new in 2.1.0 and
makes it possible to avoid an algorithmic complexity attack; Python uses it
in its newest bugfix releases.  See for example <http://bugs.python.org/issue14234>.

cheers,
Georg

On 25.04.2012 20:44, Georg Brandl wrote:

> On 25.04.2012 15:42, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
>> Hi, I'm trying to build Python 3.2.3 against system expat library, that lies
>> out of the ordinary directory structure (under /opt). I also have an older
>> version of expat library in the system. No matter what shell variables or
>> options I pass to configure and make, pyexpat gets linked against the system
>> expat, which results in errors during tests:
>>
>> pyexpat.cpython-32dmu.so: undefined symbol: XML_SetHashSalt
>>
>> anyone has any idea what to pass to configure/make to link pyexpat with the
>> other expat?
>
> You'll have to upgrade your expat.  The XML_SetHashSalt is new in 2.1.0 and
> makes it possible to avoid an algorithmic complexity attack; Python uses it
> in its newest bugfix releases.  See for example <http://bugs.python.org/issue14234>.

Sorry, I think I misread your request.  Please ignore the reply.

Georg

Re: Building against system expat

Bohuslav Kabrda
> On 25.04.2012 15:42, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> > Hi, I'm trying to build Python 3.2.3 against system expat library,
> > that lies
> > out of the ordinary directory structure (under /opt). I also have
> > an older
> > version of expat library in the system. No matter what shell
> > variables or
> > options I pass to configure and make, pyexpat gets linked against
> > the system
> > expat, which results in errors during tests:
> >
> > pyexpat.cpython-32dmu.so: undefined symbol: XML_SetHashSalt
> >
> > anyone has any idea what to pass to configure/make to link pyexpat
> > with the
> > other expat?
>
> You'll have to upgrade your expat.  The XML_SetHashSalt is new in
> 2.1.0 and
> makes it possible to avoid an algorithmic complexity attack; Python
> uses it
> in its newest bugfix releases.  See for example
> <http://bugs.python.org/issue14234>.
>
> cheers,
> Georg

Thanks, actually I found an error in my build script that set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH wrongly, so only the standard .so file was found (that didn't have this symbol), and not the one under /opt.

So, my mistake,
thanks everyone :)

Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.