Buildout: adding a link to a compiled library: uno

Buildout: adding a link to a compiled library: uno

Alessandro Dentella
Hi,

I have many web projects that depend on 'uno' component of openoffice to
prepare pdf. I don't really need to compile it inside my buildout env. I'm
not really inclined to do that as I know dev and deply is always in an
environment with a working system 'uno' package.

Under virtualenv all I do is to add 2 symlinks to uno.py and unohelp.py to
the site-packages directory.

Which is the best way to accomplish a simple setup as this one under
buildout?

thanks in advance

sandro
*:-)

--
Sandro Dentella  *:-)
http://www.reteisi.org             Soluzioni libere per le scuole

Re: Buildout: adding a link to a compiled library: uno

Leonardo Rochael Almeida
Hi Alessandro,

If you are going to use the Python that comes with your distribution
(usually referred to as 'System Python'), and that you want to use the
"uno" library that comes with this System Python, that is, you can do
something like:

$ python
Python 2.6.6 (r266:84292, Sep 15 2010, 16:22:56)
[GCC 4.4.5] on linux2
>>> import uno
>>> print uno.__file__
/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/uno.pyc

Then, what you probably need is to use a part with a
z3c.recipe.scripts recipe, configuring it like described at [1], to
give you access to the system-installed uno library.

[1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/z3c.recipe.scripts#including-site-packages-and-sitecustomize

Regards,

Leo

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 10:47, Alessandro Dentella <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have many web projects that depend on 'uno' component of openoffice to
> prepare pdf. I don't really need to compile it inside my buildout env. I'm
> not really inclined to do that as I know dev and deply is always in an
> environment with a working system 'uno' package.
>
> Under virtualenv all I do is to add 2 symlinks to uno.py and unohelp.py to
> the site-packages directory.
>
> Which is the best way to accomplish a simple setup as this one under
> buildout?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> sandro
> *:-)
>

> --
> Sandro Dentella  *:-)
> http://www.reteisi.org             Soluzioni libere per le scuole
> http://sqlkit.argolinux.org        SQLkit home page - PyGTK/python/sqlalchemy

Re: Buildout: adding a link to a compiled library: uno

Reinout van Rees
On 01-04-12 10:47, Alessandro Dentella wrote:

> I have many web projects that depend on 'uno' component of openoffice to
> prepare pdf. I don't really need to compile it inside my buildout env. I'm
> not really inclined to do that as I know dev and deply is always in an
> environment with a working system 'uno' package.
>
> Under virtualenv all I do is to add 2 symlinks to uno.py and unohelp.py to
> the site-packages directory.
>
> Which is the best way to accomplish a simple setup as this one under
> buildout?

The easiest way, at least that I have seen, is to use osc.recipe.sysegg:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/osc.recipe.sysegg

But you'll need to use buildout version 1.4.4 with this (and thus a
special 1.4.4 using bootstrap) to get it to work as the latest buildout
(1.5) broke the osc.recipe.sysegg recipe.

(1.5 is supposed to work with existing system-level eggs, but I couldn't
get it to work reliably in my kind of setup).

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                    http://reinout.vanrees.org/
[hidden email]             http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/

Re: Buildout: adding a link to a compiled library: uno

Ross Patterson-2
Reinout van Rees <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 01-04-12 10:47, Alessandro Dentella wrote:
>> I have many web projects that depend on 'uno' component of openoffice to
>> prepare pdf. I don't really need to compile it inside my buildout env. I'm
>> not really inclined to do that as I know dev and deply is always in an
>> environment with a working system 'uno' package.
>>
>> Under virtualenv all I do is to add 2 symlinks to uno.py and unohelp.py to
>> the site-packages directory.
>>
>> Which is the best way to accomplish a simple setup as this one under
>> buildout?
>
> The easiest way, at least that I have seen, is to use osc.recipe.sysegg:
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/osc.recipe.sysegg
>

> But you'll need to use buildout version 1.4.4 with this (and thus a
> special 1.4.4 using bootstrap) to get it to work as the latest
> buildout (1.5) broke the osc.recipe.sysegg recipe.
>
> (1.5 is supposed to work with existing system-level eggs, but I
> couldn't get it to work reliably in my kind of setup).

Have you seen those problems with the 1.5.2 release?

Ross

On 04-04-12 03:38, Ross Patterson wrote:
>> (1.5 is supposed to work with existing system-level eggs, but I
>> >  couldn't get it to work reliably in my kind of setup).
> Have you seen those problems with the 1.5.2 release?

Yes. iirc the most basic problem was that you HAVE to pin the version,
otherwise the system egg isn't used. Which of course doesn't work as the
version on my OSX laptop is bound to be a bit different from that on a
colleague's ubuntu.

And I thought ubuntu's site.py mangling didn't get recognized by 1.5.2,
but that might have been the above problem.

Reinout

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 01:59:14AM +0200, Reinout van Rees wrote:

> On 01-04-12 10:47, Alessandro Dentella wrote:
> >I have many web projects that depend on 'uno' component of openoffice to
> >prepare pdf. I don't really need to compile it inside my buildout env. I'm
> >not really inclined to do that as I know dev and deply is always in an
> >environment with a working system 'uno' package.
> >
> >Under virtualenv all I do is to add 2 symlinks to uno.py and unohelp.py to
> >the site-packages directory.
> >
> >Which is the best way to accomplish a simple setup as this one under
> >buildout?
>
> The easiest way, at least that I have seen, is to use osc.recipe.sysegg:
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/osc.recipe.sysegg
>

> But you'll need to use buildout version 1.4.4 with this (and thus a
> special 1.4.4 using bootstrap) to get it to work as the latest
> buildout (1.5) broke the osc.recipe.sysegg recipe.
>
> (1.5 is supposed to work with existing system-level eggs, but I
> couldn't get it to work reliably in my kind of setup).

Since I also wanted to isolate my environment I started using
tl.buildout_virtual_python that offers a siple extra-path variable that
accomplishes to my request in a simple way.

thanks
sandro
*:-)