Buildout & develop-eggs troubles

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Buildout & develop-eggs troubles

Alessandro Dentella


Hi,

I'm trying buildout but I'm having a hard time trying to understand the
logic of develop-egg.

I tested both mr.developer recepy and gp.csvdevelop and I stumbled on the
same problem, so I guess I'm misunderstanding something.

I want to add a development repository named jumbo-core that contains
several 1^ level packages (and a correct setup.py), one of which is 'jumbo',
I get to the point that:

  1. source is added to ./dev/jumbo-core

  2. an egg-link is added to develop-eggs/jumbo-core.egg-link pointing to
     the correct path where the hg repository is checked out, but that path
     is not added to the sys.path. My configuration is as follows::

      [buildout]
      develop = .
      parts = python scripts test ipython
      extensions = gp.vcsdevelop
      develop-dir = ./dev
      vcs-extend-develop = hg+${thunder:jumbonew}/jumbo-core#egg=jumbo-core

      [python]
      recipe = zc.recipe.egg
      interpreter = python
      eggs = lunar

Adding 'jumbo' to eggs directive raises the error: "Couldn't find index page
for 'jumbo' (maybe misspelled?)"

If I add dev/jumbo-core to develop option I get the message::

  Skipping 'hg+/misc/src/hg/thunder/jumbo-new/jumbo-core#egg=jumbo-core'. Package is already in the develop option

but dev/jumbo-core is not added to the sys.path.

Any hint is appreciated.


TIA
sandro
*:-)


--
Sandro Dentella  *:-)
http://www.reteisi.org             Soluzioni libere per le scuole
http://sqlkit.argolinux.org        SQLkit home page - PyGTK/python/sqlalchemy



_______________________________________________
Distutils-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/distutils-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Buildout & develop-eggs troubles

Jim Fulton
On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Alessandro Dentella <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying buildout but I'm having a hard time trying to understand the
> logic of develop-egg.
>
> I tested both mr.developer recepy and gp.csvdevelop and I stumbled on the
> same problem, so I guess I'm misunderstanding something.
>
> I want to add a development repository named jumbo-core that contains
> several 1^ level packages (and a correct setup.py), one of which is 'jumbo',
> I get to the point that:

I don't understand alot of what you said above, but hopefully, I can get by. :)

>
>  1. source is added to ./dev/jumbo-core
>
>  2. an egg-link is added to develop-eggs/jumbo-core.egg-link pointing to
>     the correct path where the hg repository is checked out, but that path
>     is not added to the sys.path. My configuration is as follows::
>
>      [buildout]
>      develop = .
>      parts = python scripts test ipython
>      extensions = gp.vcsdevelop
>      develop-dir = ./dev
>      vcs-extend-develop = hg+${thunder:jumbonew}/jumbo-core#egg=jumbo-core
>
>      [python]
>      recipe = zc.recipe.egg
>      interpreter = python
>      eggs = lunar
>
> Adding 'jumbo' to eggs directive raises the error: "Couldn't find index page
> for 'jumbo' (maybe misspelled?)"
>
> If I add dev/jumbo-core to develop option I get the message::
>
>  Skipping 'hg+/misc/src/hg/thunder/jumbo-new/jumbo-core#egg=jumbo-core'. Package is already in the develop option
>
> but dev/jumbo-core is not added to the sys.path.
>
> Any hint is appreciated.

The develop option names a (or many) setup.py file.
You can also, as a common shortcut, name a directory
containing setup.py file.  The develop option invokes
the setup.py file to create a develop egg.

The setup.py file defines a product name.  From the
name of the egg link you mention, I'm guessing that
the setup.py file in the current directory ('.') sets the
project name to 'jumbo-core'.

The egg recipe builds a script based on a list
of requirements as listed in the eggs option.
(Yeah, 'requirements' would have been a better
name...)  The requirements are typically just
project names, although they can also contain
version specifications.

If, as I suspect, the project name is 'jumbo-core', rather
than 'jumbo', then you need to add jumbo-core to your
eggs option (on a separate line).

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton
_______________________________________________
Distutils-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/distutils-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Buildout & develop-eggs troubles

Alessandro Dentella

Thanks Jim,

> If, as I suspect, the project name is 'jumbo-core', rather
> than 'jumbo', then you need to add jumbo-core to your
> eggs option (on a separate line).


this solves indeed my problem. I realize I could have understood it just
looking at others egg names (e.g. python-dateutils).

sandro
*:-)

PS: more questions in differente threads... ;-)

--
Sandro Dentella  *:-)
http://www.reteisi.org             Soluzioni libere per le scuole
http://sqlkit.argolinux.org        SQLkit home page - PyGTK/python/sqlalchemy



_______________________________________________
Distutils-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/distutils-sig