CASS certified Postal Mail Verification free RESTful API?

CASS certified Postal Mail Verification free RESTful API?

Glen Jarvis
I have the need to consume an API service. I'd like it to be an Open Source/Creative Commons service instead of paying for it.

There are several commercial equivalent RESTful APIs that I could consume. Some examples follow:

The reason I want to consume this service is to verify that if I have a business from one source and I want to intelligently/programmatically match that same business from another source, one of the steps in that validation/verification is to compare addresses.

Half way through looking at this, I think "There's no API to do this. I could make a Python service to do this as an open source project." Any time I get in that mode, I usually find someone has attempted it or has a very successful version of it already running.

Q1) Does anyone know of a package/service that already exists like this -- as a free API?

Q2) If the answer to Q1 is no, then I want to create an open source project/free service that is consumable by anyone. I am looking for the original data from the USPS. Does anyone know where I can find it.

I've found other resources, such as these:

This is the US Government certification for evaluation of such software:

A list of software suppliers that already do this:

Tech Guidelines:

Example Error codes

I'm still trolling through data to find something. I'd hate to do all of this work if someone else already provides this service. I am also trying to find the raw address data.

Thanks in advance for any help that you may provide....

Cheers,

Glen
--
Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.

-- Goethe

Re: CASS certified Postal Mail Verification free RESTful API?

Brent Tubbs
At work we pay a subscription for this.  They send a DVD of updated
information every quarter or so and a toolkit for querying names and
addresses against it, but we're not allowed to just look at the raw
data.

Pitney Bowes offers a service that can do this, but not for free.
Databases of cleaned/standardized names and addresses are pretty
valuable.