CX_freeze and Tkinter on Macosx with Python 2.7

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

CX_freeze and Tkinter on Macosx with Python 2.7

Michael O'Donnell
Hi all,

  Has anyone had any luck getting CX_freeze to work with
a Tkinter-based application on Macosx for Python 2.7?

I tried, and firstly it tried looking for the tcl and tk libraries
in the wrong places.

And once I patched that problem, it tried to write these folders
to the build folder, but using the same folder names as  existing files
(which i think are the dynamic load libraries for tcl and tk).

If it worked for you without problem, that's enough for me.
Let me know.

Mick
_______________________________________________
Tkinter-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tkinter-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CX_freeze and Tkinter on Macosx with Python 2.7

Kevin Walzer-5
On 11/7/11 11:15 AM, Michael O'Donnell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    Has anyone had any luck getting CX_freeze to work with
> a Tkinter-based application on Macosx for Python 2.7?

Any reason you are using CX_freeze and not py2app, which is the
most-developed and best-tested solution for freezing an app on OS X?

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin
http://www.codebykevin.com
_______________________________________________
Tkinter-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tkinter-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CX_freeze and Tkinter on Macosx with Python 2.7

Michael O'Donnell
> Any reason you are using CX_freeze and not py2app, which is the
> most-developed and best-tested solution for freezing an app on OS X?

I have used py2app happily for years. With the change to ActivePython 2.7.2,
my py2app script stopped running.

SystemExit: error: argv-emulation is not supported for 64-bit executables

Seems that there was (is?) a problem with argv emulation on
the 64 bit version. I found two solutions.

1) Use ActiveState's pure 32 bit installer for Python 2.7.2.
    BUT, this uses Tcl 8.4, and I need 8.5 for unicode display.

2) Get rid of any use of argv use in my target application
(which is a bit of a problem for my app.

3) Run my py2app script with python2.7-32 in a shell window,

The script actually worked, but the constructed application
failed, some problem in   _get_argvemulator().mainloop(),
which makes me think it is the same problem in a different
guise. Is my application 64 bits even though compiled
in 32 bit python? How would one tell py2app to use the 32 bit
python as a base?

So, while my application runs fine on my own machine
I can't seem to use py2app to make a functional standalone.

I was hoping cx_freeze would avoid some of these problems.

But just got me deeper into debugging woes.

Mick
_______________________________________________
Tkinter-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tkinter-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CX_freeze and Tkinter on Macosx with Python 2.7

Kevin Walzer-5
On 11/7/11 12:29 PM, Michael O'Donnell wrote:
> I have used py2app happily for years. With the change to ActivePython 2.7.2,
> my py2app script stopped running.
>
> SystemExit: error: argv-emulation is not supported for 64-bit executables

I believe the latest version of py2app has implemented support for
argv-emulation--check the list archives at the MacPython mailing list
for details. Installing it might require downloading via the source tree
rather than an official release, but hopefully that won't present a
problem.

As I understand it, none of the other "freezing" solutions for Python
work well on the Mac--they are either half-baked, lack a signifcant
community/user base, or both.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin
http://www.codebykevin.com
_______________________________________________
Tkinter-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tkinter-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CX_freeze and Tkinter on Macosx with Python 2.7

Michael O'Donnell
Thanks Kevin,

   Will look into it,

Mick


On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Kevin Walzer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/7/11 12:29 PM, Michael O'Donnell wrote:
>>
>> I have used py2app happily for years. With the change to ActivePython
>> 2.7.2,
>> my py2app script stopped running.
>>
>> SystemExit: error: argv-emulation is not supported for 64-bit executables
>
> I believe the latest version of py2app has implemented support for
> argv-emulation--check the list archives at the MacPython mailing list for
> details. Installing it might require downloading via the source tree rather
> than an official release, but hopefully that won't present a problem.
>
> As I understand it, none of the other "freezing" solutions for Python work
> well on the Mac--they are either half-baked, lack a signifcant
> community/user base, or both.
>
> --
> Kevin Walzer
> Code by Kevin
> http://www.codebykevin.com
>
_______________________________________________
Tkinter-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tkinter-discuss