CaltrainPy

heikki
I have had this little Python script for over a year, but it didn't
occur to me until today that there might be some interest on this list.

CaltrainPy (http://caltrain.heikkitoivonen.net/developers.html) is a
Python program that I originally wrote for my Windows Mobile device to
help me figure out when the next train runs. It turned out Python didn't
work out so great on Windows Mobile, but it works fine on desktops, and
maybe it would work well in some other device where Python is a first
class citizen. It uses Tkinter for UI. I then added a little
functionality to scrape the Caltrain HTML schedule and provide it in
more machine friendly formats. You can get the latest version by doing
"easy_install caltrain".

--
  Heikki Toivonen

Re: CaltrainPy

Larry Cuba-2

At 09:16 PM 8/5/2008, Heikki Toivonen wrote:
>It turned out Python didn't
>work out so great on Windows Mobile, ...

what was the problem with it?

something i should know before i buy
a windows mobile device?

Larry C.

Re: CaltrainPy

heikki
Larry Cuba wrote:
> At 09:16 PM 8/5/2008, Heikki Toivonen wrote:
>> It turned out Python didn't
>> work out so great on Windows Mobile, ...
>
> what was the problem with it?

Most of the time importing tkinter failed. Doing a reset was required to
get that working. After a few successful imports, Python itself would
fail to start. Again reset was required. And even when everything was
working, it took 10-30 seconds (it has been a while since I tried) to
start python and for it to start my application. (Once everything was up
the performance was ok, though.)

I should point out that I tried only one specific Python binary on my
device. I know other people have built their own versions, some come
with wxPython etc. so there might actually be a Python version that
works ok on a Windows Mobile device. I think the Venster project
(http://venster.sourceforge.net/htdocs/index.html) supposedly also works
on WM.

--
  Heikki Toivonen

Re: CaltrainPy

Guido van Rossum
Neat! I'd be interested in a port to Python for the Nokia S60 platform.

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Heikki Toivonen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have had this little Python script for over a year, but it didn't
> occur to me until today that there might be some interest on this list.
>
> CaltrainPy (http://caltrain.heikkitoivonen.net/developers.html) is a
> Python program that I originally wrote for my Windows Mobile device to
> help me figure out when the next train runs. It turned out Python didn't
> work out so great on Windows Mobile, but it works fine on desktops, and
> maybe it would work well in some other device where Python is a first
> class citizen. It uses Tkinter for UI. I then added a little
> functionality to scrape the Caltrain HTML schedule and provide it in
> more machine friendly formats. You can get the latest version by doing
> "easy_install caltrain".

Re: CaltrainPy

Seth Friedman-2
I was just thinking about Python on S60.   In a bit of anti-Apple closed-platform ire, i've been thinking of replacing my phone with something I could code for, ideally in Python.   Not that I really understand how locked down Apple is keeping the iphone, but the marketing folks at Nokia knew how to push my buttons when they build the website of the N96 and all the homebrew applications people could write on them... can't seem to locate the url this moment, but they were cute videos where... for example, one couple, the wife had written a lie detector program on the N96 that she built for her husband..

But at some level I agree with Nokia that these are really mobile computers - in this case with ~125x the cpu power of my first device called a computer.   In a sense it's a little archaic to call them phones.   Sorta like if we were calling desktops 'word processors'.    O'course, moving the mobile phone to mobile computer requires development community to build enough different apps, at some point chicken / egg situation applies.

Anyway, can anyone comment about how far away from a port of Python to Symbian we might be, if there's the seed of a project anyplace?

~seth

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Guido van Rossum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Neat! I'd be interested in a port to Python for the Nokia S60 platform.

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Heikki Toivonen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have had this little Python script for over a year, but it didn't
> occur to me until today that there might be some interest on this list.
>
> CaltrainPy (http://caltrain.heikkitoivonen.net/developers.html) is a
> Python program that I originally wrote for my Windows Mobile device to
> help me figure out when the next train runs. It turned out Python didn't
> work out so great on Windows Mobile, but it works fine on desktops, and
> maybe it would work well in some other device where Python is a first
> class citizen. It uses Tkinter for UI. I then added a little
> functionality to scrape the Caltrain HTML schedule and provide it in
> more machine friendly formats. You can get the latest version by doing
> "easy_install caltrain".

Re: CaltrainPy

Guido van Rossum
Um, Python has been ported to Symbian S60 for years now.
http://opensource.nokia.com/projects/pythonfors60/

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Seth Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was just thinking about Python on S60.   In a bit of anti-Apple
> closed-platform ire, i've been thinking of replacing my phone with something
> I could code for, ideally in Python.   Not that I really understand how
> locked down Apple is keeping the iphone, but the marketing folks at Nokia
> knew how to push my buttons when they build the website of the N96 and all
> the homebrew applications people could write on them... can't seem to locate
> the url this moment, but they were cute videos where... for example, one
> couple, the wife had written a lie detector program on the N96 that she
> built for her husband..
>
> But at some level I agree with Nokia that these are really mobile computers
> - in this case with ~125x the cpu power of my first device called a
> computer.   In a sense it's a little archaic to call them phones.   Sorta
> like if we were calling desktops 'word processors'.    O'course, moving the
> mobile phone to mobile computer requires development community to build
> enough different apps, at some point chicken / egg situation applies.
>
> Anyway, can anyone comment about how far away from a port of Python to
> Symbian we might be, if there's the seed of a project anyplace?
>
> ~seth
>
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Guido van Rossum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Neat! I'd be interested in a port to Python for the Nokia S60 platform.
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Heikki Toivonen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I have had this little Python script for over a year, but it didn't
>> > occur to me until today that there might be some interest on this list.
>> >
>> > CaltrainPy (http://caltrain.heikkitoivonen.net/developers.html) is a
>> > Python program that I originally wrote for my Windows Mobile device to
>> > help me figure out when the next train runs. It turned out Python didn't
>> > work out so great on Windows Mobile, but it works fine on desktops, and
>> > maybe it would work well in some other device where Python is a first
>> > class citizen. It uses Tkinter for UI. I then added a little
>> > functionality to scrape the Caltrain HTML schedule and provide it in
>> > more machine friendly formats. You can get the latest version by doing
>> > "easy_install caltrain".
>>
>> --
>> --Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/)

Re: CaltrainPy

Seth Friedman-2
Sweet.   I did a search for python on S60 a few weeks ago and didn't see this for some reason.

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Bjorn Tipling <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think it's not about Apple locking down and being anti-python, it's just that they haven't had time to make it all work. I think Apple has been very supportive of python and has worked hard to bridge objective-c and python in its Cocoa framework.

On Wednesday, August 06, 2008, at 12:20PM, "Guido van Rossum" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Um, Python has been ported to Symbian S60 for years now.
>http://opensource.nokia.com/projects/pythonfors60/
>
>On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Seth Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I was just thinking about Python on S60.   In a bit of anti-Apple
>> closed-platform ire, i've been thinking of replacing my phone with something
>> I could code for, ideally in Python.   Not that I really understand how
>> locked down Apple is keeping the iphone, but the marketing folks at Nokia
>> knew how to push my buttons when they build the website of the N96 and all
>> the homebrew applications people could write on them... can't seem to locate
>> the url this moment, but they were cute videos where... for example, one
>> couple, the wife had written a lie detector program on the N96 that she
>> built for her husband..
>>
>> But at some level I agree with Nokia that these are really mobile computers
>> - in this case with ~125x the cpu power of my first device called a
>> computer.   In a sense it's a little archaic to call them phones.   Sorta
>> like if we were calling desktops 'word processors'.    O'course, moving the
>> mobile phone to mobile computer requires development community to build
>> enough different apps, at some point chicken / egg situation applies.
>>
>> Anyway, can anyone comment about how far away from a port of Python to
>> Symbian we might be, if there's the seed of a project anyplace?
>>
>> ~seth
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Guido van Rossum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Neat! I'd be interested in a port to Python for the Nokia S60 platform.

>>> --
>>> --Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/)
>>

>--
>--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/)

Re: CaltrainPy

Charles Merriam
Hmm.. Well, I reading this at a Nokia forum in SF.  Next up is
"Rapidly Prototyping Mobile Phone Applications with Python" followed
by "Python Demos".  Likely you can work on Nokia phones.

Catch me at the next meeting for a summary.

-- Charles

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:26 PM, Seth Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sweet.   I did a search for python on S60 a few weeks ago and didn't see
> this for some reason.
>
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Bjorn Tipling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think it's not about Apple locking down and being anti-python, it's just
>> that they haven't had time to make it all work. I think Apple has been very
>> supportive of python and has worked hard to bridge objective-c and python in
>> its Cocoa framework.
>>

>> On Wednesday, August 06, 2008, at 12:20PM, "Guido van Rossum"
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >Um, Python has been ported to Symbian S60 for years now.
>> >http://opensource.nokia.com/projects/pythonfors60/

>> >--
>> >--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/)

Re: CaltrainPy

Alden Meneses
This thread had me looking for a S60 phone for AT&T but no luck. Curious what carriers people have for their S60 phones and if they are using AT&T what they had to do to get it working.

Also I was at LinuxWorld yesterday and stopped by OpenMoko booth and got to look at the Neo Freerunner. Not as sexy as the Nokia or Samsung phones and will also provide a debug board to allow you to tinker with the phone.

On 8/6/08, Seth Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sweet.   I did a search for python on S60 a few weeks ago and didn't see this for some reason.

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Bjorn Tipling <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think it's not about Apple locking down and being anti-python, it's just that they haven't had time to make it all work. I think Apple has been very supportive of python and has worked hard to bridge objective-c and python in its Cocoa framework.

On Wednesday, August 06, 2008, at 12:20PM, "Guido van Rossum" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Um, Python has been ported to Symbian S60 for years now.
><a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://opensource.nokia.com/projects/pythonfors60/" target="_blank">http://opensource.nokia.com/projects/pythonfors60/
>
>On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Seth Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I was just thinking about Python on S60.   In a bit of anti-Apple
>> closed-platform ire, i've been thinking of replacing my phone with something
>> I could code for, ideally in Python.   Not that I really understand how
>> locked down Apple is keeping the iphone, but the marketing folks at Nokia
>> knew how to push my buttons when they build the website of the N96 and all
>> the homebrew applications people could write on them... can't seem to locate
>> the url this moment, but they were cute videos where... for example, one
>> couple, the wife had written a lie detector program on the N96 that she
>> built for her husband..
>>
>> But at some level I agree with Nokia that these are really mobile computers
>> - in this case with ~125x the cpu power of my first device called a
>> computer.   In a sense it's a little archaic to call them phones.   Sorta
>> like if we were calling desktops 'word processors'.    O'course, moving the
>> mobile phone to mobile computer requires development community to build
>> enough different apps, at some point chicken / egg situation applies.
>>
>> Anyway, can anyone comment about how far away from a port of Python to
>> Symbian we might be, if there's the seed of a project anyplace?
>>
>> ~seth
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Guido van Rossum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Neat! I'd be interested in a port to Python for the Nokia S60 platform.

>>> --
>>> --Guido van Rossum (home page: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.python.org/%7Eguido/" target="_blank">http://www.python.org/~guido/)
>>

>--
>--Guido van Rossum (home page: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.python.org/%7Eguido/" target="_blank">http://www.python.org/~guido/)

Re: CaltrainPy

Nathan R. Yergler-4
On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Alden Meneses <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This thread had me looking for a S60 phone for AT&T but no luck. Curious
> what carriers people have for their S60 phones and if they are using AT&T
> what they had to do to get it working.

I use AT&T; purchased an unlocked Nokia N95 from Amazon.com.  Just
popped in the SIM from my Blackberry, called AT&T to switch my data
plan over to the general purpose unlimited plan.  Took about 10
minutes on the phone.

> Also I was at LinuxWorld yesterday and stopped by OpenMoko booth and got to
> look at the Neo Freerunner. Not as sexy as the Nokia or Samsung phones and
> will also provide a debug board to allow you to tinker with the phone.
>

> On 8/6/08, Seth Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Sweet.   I did a search for python on S60 a few weeks ago and didn't see
>> this for some reason.
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Bjorn Tipling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think it's not about Apple locking down and being anti-python, it's
>>> just that they haven't had time to make it all work. I think Apple has been
>>> very supportive of python and has worked hard to bridge objective-c and
>>> python in its Cocoa framework.

Re: CaltrainPy

Brian Zambrano-2
You can also use iCaltrain.....I use it on my iPhone and it works like a charm:  http://icaltrain.com/blog/

Along the same lines, the coolest public transportation tracker IMO is munitime.com.  It'll give you real-time arrival times of MUNI busses and trains which are GPS-equiped.

BZ

Alden Meneses wrote:
> This thread had me looking for a S60 phone for AT&T but no luck. Curious
> what carriers people have for their S60 phones and if they are using
> AT&T what they had to do to get it working.

I can see that they are selling at least the Nokia N75, which has S60:
http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N75. I have access to N71 but I don't
know when I'd be able to try Python on that.

> Also I was at LinuxWorld yesterday and stopped by OpenMoko booth and got
> to look at the Neo Freerunner. Not as sexy as the Nokia or Samsung
> phones and will also provide a debug board to allow you to tinker with
> the phone.

I stopped by the OpenMoko booth today. I wanted to see how Python works
on that device, but unfortunately the booth staff were not sure which
applications were written in Python although I did try something they
were pretty sure was written in Python and the performance was ok.

OpenMoko seems like a nice platform to develop Python applications for,
but getting the emulators etc. setup is quite a hassle.

--
  Heikki Toivonen