Cannot compile IronPythonTools

Raghavendra Chandrashekara-2
Hi All,

I downloaded the latest code from the git repository and tried to compile IronPythonTools.sln but I got the following error:

D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronPythonSourceCode\Tools\IronStudio\IronPythonTools\IronPythonTools.csproj : error  : The project file 'D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronPythonSourceCode\Tools\IronStudio\IronPythonTools\IronPythonTools.csproj' cannot be opened.

The project type is not supported by this installation.

D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronPythonSourceCode\Tools\IronStudio\IronStudio\IronStudio.csproj : error  : Unable to read the project file 'IronStudio.csproj'.
D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronPythonSourceCode\Tools\IronStudio\IronStudio\IronStudio.csproj(369,3): The imported project "C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v10.0\VSSDK\Microsoft.VsSDK.targets" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.

Am I missing a component from VS 2010? Thanks for any help you can give.

Raj

Re: Cannot compile IronPythonTools

Dino Viehland

You’ll need to install the VS SDK (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=47305cf4-2bea-43c0-91cd-1b853602dcc5&displaylang=en) in addition to Visual Studio.

The reason for that is because we use the SDK’s project types to get things like a good debugging experience in the experimental hive (you can set IronPythonTools as your setup project and have it launch VS with F5 under the experimental hive.  When building the extension automatically gets deployed to the experimental hive).

Re: Cannot compile IronPythonTools

Raghavendra Chandrashekara-2
On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Dino Viehland <[hidden email]> wrote:

You’ll need to install the VS SDK (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=47305cf4-2bea-43c0-91cd-1b853602dcc5&displaylang=en) in addition to Visual Studio.

The reason for that is because we use the SDK’s project types to get things like a good debugging experience in the experimental hive (you can set IronPythonTools as your setup project and have it launch VS with F5 under the experimental hive.  When building the extension automatically gets deployed to the experimental hive).

One more question, how do I debug the IronPython tools? I have created the experimental hive using the command:

CreateExpInstance.exe /Reset /VSInstance=10.0 /RootSuffix=Exp

and then started the experimental instance of Visual Studio using:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix Exp

This starts an Experimental Instance of Visual Studio which I can see in the title bar. But when I set IronPythonTools as the startup project and press F5 I get a message saying that "A project with an Output Type of Class Library" cannot be started directly.

Thanks,

Raj

Re: Cannot compile IronPythonTools

Raghavendra Chandrashekara-2
Please ignore above question, I figured it out. In case some other new users want to debug IronPythonTools then I think the way to debug is the following:

1. Launch VS 2010 in normal mode and open IronPythonTools.sln
2. Set IronPythonTools as the startup project.
3. Open properties pages of IronPythonTools and select Debug tab.
4. Select "Start external program" radio button and put C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe in the text box next to the radio button.
5. Put /RootSuffix Exp in Command line arguments and press F5 to debug.

Raj

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Raghavendra Chandrashekara <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

You can go into project properties for IronPythonTools and on the debug settings choose launch external program.  Then just add the same command line you used to launch under the exp hive and F5 will work.

Sent from my Windows Phone