CherryPy 3.2 installation problem under Windows

CherryPy 3.2 installation problem under Windows

Christoph Zwerschke
On the TurboGears mailing list it has been reported that if you install
CherryPy 3.2 on a 32bit Win Vista or 7 with Python 2.6, then the version
for Python 3 will be installed instead of the version for Python 2 - if
you try to import CherryPy, you get this
AttributeError: type object 'str' has no attribute 'maketrans'

The problem seems to be with the names
CherryPy-3.2.0-py2.win32.exe and CherryPy-3.2.0-py3.win32.exe
which should probably be
CherryPy-3.2.0.win32-py2.6.exe and CherryPy-3.2.0.win32-py3.1.exe

Setuptools (Distribute) cannot properly parse the former names.

Is it actually necessary to have .exe files for Windows? The source
package seems to work fine for me.

-- Christoph

Re: CherryPy 3.2 installation problem under Windows

Jon M
> Is it actually necessary to have .exe files for Windows? The source
> package seems to work fine for me.

FWIW, I use Python 2.7.1 on Win7 32-bit and install CP 3.2.0 via pip. I've never use the .exes.

I use distribute to install pip and then use pip to install/upgrade everything else like markupsafe, pygments, sqlalchemy, jinja2, mako, docutils, pytest, etc.

Jon

---
blog: http://jonforums.github.com/
twitter: @jonforums

Am 29.03.2011 21:55 schrieb Jon:
> I use distribute to install pip and then use pip to install/upgrade
> everything else like markupsafe, pygments, sqlalchemy, jinja2, mako,
> docutils, pytest, etc.

The disadvantage is that pip does not install bdist packages so that
only works so you will need a compiler for some packages.

In the case of CherryPy, pip will install the source package and
everything is fine. But "easy_install CherryPy" will install the (wrong)
bdist package. This really should be fixed py naming the .exes properly
or removing them if there is no good reason for them to exist.

-- Christoph

Re: CherryPy 3.2 installation problem under Windows

Jon M
> > I use distribute to install pip and then use pip to install/upgrade
> > everything else like markupsafe, pygments, sqlalchemy, jinja2, mako,
> > docutils, pytest, etc.
>
> The disadvantage is that pip does not install bdist packages so that
> only works so you will need a compiler for some packages.

Yeh, anything containing native code and I have to bring a compiler onto PATH.

FWIW, I maintain something called the DevKit (MSYS + MinGW + goodies) as part of the RubyInstaller project and use it like http://jonforums.github.com/python/2010/11/24/building-python-exts-on-windows.html  A bit hacky but its works OK for my limited needs.

Jon

---