Code of Conduct and Community Guidelines PR ready for feedback

Code of Conduct and Community Guidelines PR ready for feedback

Fernando Perez
Hi all,

it has taken us far longer than it should, but thanks to the persistent work of a number of folks on the team, we finally have a PR ready for public feedback!

These community guidelines/CoC documents were inspired by the ones from the Django team (https://www.djangoproject.com/conduct), which seemed to us as having some important qualities:

- Validated by real-world experience from a large and active project and community.

- It highlights the positive reasons why all guidelines are the way they are: across the guide, there's an emphasis on how it is a guide for building a better community in the face of complex and challenging interactions, rather than simply a laundry list of "mandated don'ts".  I personally find that approach much more productive in the long run.

I want to emphasize that while the PR appears as mostly mine, this work was done in conjunction with many others mostly during our most recent in-person project meeting at Cal Poly, and this PR should be seen as the official proposal from the project's Steering Committee and other core developers present at that meeting.  We welcome input and feedback on the PR and are open to clarifying/refining specifics, but we're committed to moving forward with something very much along these lines.  If someone feels very strongly that we should not have these guidelines in the first place, it may not be worth your time trying to argue that point, as the decision to adopt them is a done deal.

Multiple people have helped with the drafting and tuning of these documents for our project, even if we started with the excellent base provided by the Django team.  I'd like to particularly thank Reese Netro (without her dedication this task would have lingered in my perpetually late todo list til who knows when), Ana Ruvalcaba, Carol Willing and Yuvi Panda, who put in a lot of extra time to make it happen, as well as the excellent points about CoCs made by Safia Abdalla in her newsletter (http://tinyletter.com/captainsafia).

Please provide any feedback you may have on the PR, as usual, and we'll all do our best to respond.  We'd like to merge this sooner rather than later (ideally by the new year, though given folks' travel/holiday schedule we may slip by a few days).

One final note: if you'd like to help us with translations of these docs, great!! We have an issue open for that: https://github.com/jupyter/governance/issues/28.

Thanks again everyone, and sorry this took so long :)

Re: Code of Conduct and Community Guidelines PR ready for feedback

Fernando Perez
On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 7:02 PM, Fernando Perez <[hidden email]> wrote:

it has taken us far longer than it should, but thanks to the persistent work of a number of folks on the team, we finally have a PR ready for public feedback!

oops, one more thing I completely forgot to include in the original email!  While we have framed the composition of the committee that would handle this as the responsibility of the Steering Council, it doesn't mean its *members* have to be all from the SC, quite the opposite.

We want, and should have, a mix, so we'd love to ask for folks from the community who'd like to volunteer to be part of this team, whether you are in the SC or not.  If you'd like to do so via PR, feel free to comment in the PR issue with a short note about why you'd like to help and any relevant experience you may have (if so, it's not like we're asking for a CV, but it helps if you have already participated in similar setups elsewhere).

If you prefer to do so privately, feel free to send a short email to [hidden email].

Thanks to everyone who has responded on the PR with input/fixes/questions, I'll be back on it shortly :)

Cheers