Comments plugin "Just Doesn't Work" with 1.5rc2

Comments plugin "Just Doesn't Work" with 1.5rc2

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
Hi all,

Looking forward to switching from WordPress to PyBlosxom for a whole
host of reasons but hitting up against some pretty serious issues with
the comments plugin.  I downloaded 1.5rc2 and got a blog running and then
started following the instructions in the README for the comments
plugin.  I activated the plugin and copied the flavour files into place,
and opened up the blog, but nothing relating to comments appeared.  I
switched out my (default) flavour for one that definitely had comments
stuff in it, 1024px, but again nothing to do with comments appeared.

Maybe the plugin doesn't work with 1.5rc2 at all?  I am unsure where to
look for error messages.

Will says he ran into the issue recently but couldn't remember how he
fixed it, and asked me to post to the list.  Any assistance appreciated;
thanks.

Sean Whitton / <[hidden email]>
OpenPGP KeyID: 0x3B6D411B
http://seanwhitton.com/

Re: Comments plugin "Just Doesn't Work" with 1.5rc2

Glennie
Le 17/03/2011 vers 17:12, dans le message intitulé "[pyblosxom-users] Comments
plugin "Just Doesn't Work" with 1.5rc2", Sean Whitton(Sean Whitton
<[hidden email]>) a écrit:

> Hi all,

Hi,

> Looking forward to switching from WordPress to PyBlosxom for a whole
> host of reasons but hitting up against some pretty serious issues with
> the comments plugin.

I'm in the same process too...

> Maybe the plugin doesn't work with 1.5rc2 at all?  I am unsure where to
> look for error messages.

It's working on my test site (http://pyblosxom.glennie.fr)

If your post is not under a category, (id: the post is directly under
entries/) the plugin doesn't work. Try to move your post into a subdirectory
(ex: entries/tests/) and check if the plugin works.

I've posted a patch for comments plugin. It's in the tracker(issu 39).
By the way, are you going migrate your old posts from WordPress to PyBlosxom?
Do you know if there is an automatic way to do this?
http://www.glennie.fr
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little
consequence. The only consequence is what we do.

Re: Comments plugin "Just Doesn't Work" with 1.5rc2

Dieter Plaetinck
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:32:21 +0100
Glennie Vignarajah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's working on my test site (http://pyblosxom.glennie.fr)
>
> If your post is not under a category, (id: the post is directly under
> entries/) the plugin doesn't work. Try to move your post into a
> subdirectory (ex: entries/tests/) and check if the plugin works.

IIRC the fix for that has been committed into git a while ago.

> I've posted a patch for comments plugin. It's in the tracker(issu 39).

http://pyblosxom.bluesock.org/bugs/issue39 - "Comment
preview fails", this seems to be about a different issue.

> By the way, are you going migrate your old posts from WordPress to
> PyBlosxom? Do you know if there is an automatic way to do this?
> Regards,

you can go from drupal to pyblosxom using this:
https://github.com/Dieterbe/drupal-to-pyblosxom

maybe you can adapt the code to go from wordpress. or find a tool that
can convert wordpress->drupal first ;)

Dieter

Re: Comments plugin "Just Doesn't Work" with 1.5rc2

Glennie
Le 23/03/2011 vers 16:53, dans le message intitulé "Re: [pyblosxom-users]
Comments plugin "Just Doesn't Work" with 1.5rc2", Dieter Plaetinck(Dieter
Plaetinck <[hidden email]>) a écrit:

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:32:21 +0100

Hi,

> > If your post is not under a category, (id: the post is directly under
> > entries/) the plugin doesn't work. Try to move your post into a
> > subdirectory (ex: entries/tests/) and check if the plugin works.
>
> IIRC the fix for that has been committed into git a while ago.
>
> > I've posted a patch for comments plugin. It's in the tracker(issu 39).
>
> http://pyblosxom.bluesock.org/bugs/issue39 - "Comment
> preview fails", this seems to be about a different issue.

The patch includes a fixes for thoses two
 bugs.

> you can go from drupal to pyblosxom using this:
> https://github.com/Dieterbe/drupal-to-pyblosxom
>
> maybe you can adapt the code to go from wordpress. or find a tool that
> can convert wordpress->drupal first ;)

Thanks.
I'm going to have look at it!

Re: Comments plugin "Just Doesn't Work" with 1.5rc2

will kahn-greene
I migrated a WordPress blog to PyBlosxom a couple of years ago.  My
conversion script (which was written for my purposes and may not be
general to other people's purposes) is at:

http://bluesock.org/~willg/download/wp-to-pyblosxom.py

I haven't touched it in ages, so I don't remember a lot of what it does
or how.  Best to read through the code and comments and tweak it to work
for you.

/will

On 03/23/2011 11:53 AM, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:32:21 +0100
> Glennie Vignarajah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It's working on my test site (http://pyblosxom.glennie.fr)
>>
>> If your post is not under a category, (id: the post is directly under
>> entries/) the plugin doesn't work. Try to move your post into a
>> subdirectory (ex: entries/tests/) and check if the plugin works.
>
> IIRC the fix for that has been committed into git a while ago.
>
>> I've posted a patch for comments plugin. It's in the tracker(issu 39).
>
> http://pyblosxom.bluesock.org/bugs/issue39 - "Comment
> preview fails", this seems to be about a different issue.
>
>> By the way, are you going migrate your old posts from WordPress to
>> PyBlosxom? Do you know if there is an automatic way to do this?
>> Regards,
>
> you can go from drupal to pyblosxom using this:
> https://github.com/Dieterbe/drupal-to-pyblosxom
>
> maybe you can adapt the code to go from wordpress. or find a tool that
> can convert wordpress->drupal first ;)
>
> Dieter

Re: Comments plugin "Just Doesn't Work" with 1.5rc2

Glennie
Le 23/03/2011 vers 17:08, dans le message intitulé "Re: [pyblosxom-users]
Comments plugin "Just Doesn't Work" with 1.5rc2", will kahn-greene("will kahn-
greene" <[hidden email]>) a écrit:

> I migrated a WordPress blog to PyBlosxom a couple of years ago.  My
> conversion script (which was written for my purposes and may not be
> general to other people's purposes) is at:

Thank you.
Exactly what I've been looking for!

On 23 Mar 2011 at 15:53Z, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:32:21 +0100 Glennie Vignarajah
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> It's working on my test site (http://pyblosxom.glennie.fr)

>> If your post is not under a category, (id: the post is directly
>> under entries/) the plugin doesn't work. Try to move your post into
>> a subdirectory (ex: entries/tests/) and check if the plugin works.

> IIRC the fix for that has been committed into git a while ago.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to make any difference unfortunately.

>> I've posted a patch for comments plugin. It's in the tracker(issu
>> 39).

> http://pyblosxom.bluesock.org/bugs/issue39 - "Comment preview fails",
> this seems to be about a different issue.

>> By the way, are you going migrate your old posts from WordPress to
>> PyBlosxom? Do you know if there is an automatic way to do this?

Not that I'm aware of.  I'm planning to do it manually, since some of
them could do with some cleaning up/replacing lost images etc. anyway.

Sean Whitton / <[hidden email]>
OpenPGP KeyID: 0x3B6D411B
http://seanwhitton.com/