Compiling IronPython for .NET 3.5

Raghavendra Chandrashekara-2
Hi All,

I am trying to compile IronPython for .NET Framework v 3.5. I have downloaded the source code from https://github.com/IronLanguages/main/zipball/ipy-2.7. After opening the IronPython solution file I tried to change the target framework to 3.5 in the IronPython project properties page. After doing this I got a message from VS 2010 that changing the target framework requires the project to be closed and then reopened, so I clicked Yes to confirm the change. However, when I opened the project properties again the framework version had reverted back to v 4.0. Am I doing something wrong? Please can anyone direct me as to how I should compile IronPython for .NET 3.5?

Thanks,

Raj

Re: Compiling IronPython for .NET 3.5

Tomas Matousek

Do not change any project settings. Just select build configuration “v2Debug” or “v2Release”. The default configuration “Debug” builds for V4.

Tomas

I am trying to compile IronPython for .NET Framework v 3.5. I have downloaded the source code from https://github.com/IronLanguages/main/zipball/ipy-2.7. After opening the IronPython solution file I tried to change the target framework to 3.5 in the IronPython project properties page. After doing this I got a message from VS 2010 that changing the target framework requires the project to be closed and then reopened, so I clicked Yes to confirm the change. However, when I opened the project properties again the framework version had reverted back to v 4.0. Am I doing something wrong? Please can anyone direct me as to how I should compile IronPython for .NET 3.5?

Thanks,

Raj

Re: Compiling IronPython for .NET 3.5

Raghavendra Chandrashekara-2
Hi Tomas,

But there is no v2Debug or v2Release configuration. All I see is Debug, Release, Silverlight4Debug, and Silverlight4Release. Did I download the incorrect version of the source code?

Thanks,

Raj

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Tomas Matousek <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Slide-2

You may need to get latest rather than the 2.7 snapshot.

On May 6, 2011 8:16 PM, "Raghavendra Chandrashekara" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Tomas,
>
> But there is no v2Debug or v2Release configuration. All I see is Debug,
> Release, Silverlight4Debug, and Silverlight4Release. Did I download the
> incorrect version of the source code?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Raj
>
> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Tomas Matousek <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> Do not change any project settings. Just select build configuration
>> “v2Debug” or “v2Release”. The default configuration “Debug” builds for V4.
>>

>> Tomas

I was originally trying to build Solutions\IronPython.sln. I think I should have been building Solutions\Dlr.sln (which does contain configurations for v2Release and v2Debug). Is this the correct solution file I should be building? If so, then after doing a build I get the following errors:

------ Build started: Project: Microsoft.Scripting.Core, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
  Microsoft.Scripting.Core -> D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\Microsoft.Scripting.Core.dll
------ Build started: Project: Microsoft.Scripting.Metadata, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
  Microsoft.Scripting.Metadata -> D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\Microsoft.Scripting.Metadata.dll
------ Build started: Project: Cassini, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
  Cassini -> D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\Cassini.exe
------ Build started: Project: Microsoft.Scripting, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
  Microsoft.Scripting -> D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\Microsoft.Scripting.dll
------ Build started: Project: Microsoft.Dynamic, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
  Microsoft.Dynamic -> D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\Microsoft.Dynamic.dll
------ Build started: Project: Ruby (Languages\Ruby\Ruby), Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
  Ruby -> D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\IronRuby.dll
------ Build started: Project: IronPython (Languages\IronPython\IronPython), Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\Languages\IronPython\IronPython\Runtime\PythonTuple.cs(48,18): error CS0738: 'IronPython.Runtime.PythonTuple' does not implement interface member 'Microsoft.Scripting.Runtime.IExpressionSerializable.CreateExpression()'. 'IronPython.Runtime.PythonTuple.CreateExpression()' cannot implement 'Microsoft.Scripting.Runtime.IExpressionSerializable.CreateExpression()' because it does not have the matching return type of 'Microsoft.Scripting.Ast.Expression'.
D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\Languages\IronPython\IronPython\Runtime\PythonTuple.cs(654,51): (Related location)

Compile complete -- 1 errors, 0 warnings
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(1360,9): warning MSB3267: The primary reference "System.Xaml", which is a framework assembly, could not be resolved in the currently targeted framework. ".NETFramework,Version=v3.5". To resolve this problem, either remove the reference "System.Xaml" or retarget your application to a framework version which contains "System.Xaml".
------ Build started: Project: IronRuby.Libraries, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
  IronRuby.Libraries -> D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\IronRuby.Libraries.dll
------ Build started: Project: IronPython.Modules, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
error CS0006: Metadata file 'D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\IronPython.dll' could not be found

Compile complete -- 1 errors, 0 warnings
------ Build started: Project: Ruby.WinConsole, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
  Ruby.WinConsole -> D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\irw.exe
------ Build started: Project: Ruby.ConsoleAny, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
  Ruby.ConsoleAny -> D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\ir64.exe
------ Build started: Project: IronPythonWindowAny, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------

------ Build started: Project: IronPythonConsoleAny, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
error CS0006: Metadata file 'D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\IronPython.dll' could not be found

Compile complete -- 1 errors, 0 warnings
------ Build started: Project: Ruby.WinConsoleAny, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
  Ruby.WinConsoleAny -> D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\irw64.exe
------ Build started: Project: IronRuby.Rack (Hosts\IronRuby.Rack\IronRuby.Rack), Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
  IronRuby.Rack -> D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\IronRuby.Rack.dll
------ Build started: Project: ClassInitGenerator, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
  ClassInitGenerator -> D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\ClassInitGenerator.exe
------ Build started: Project: IronRuby.Tests, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
  IronRuby.Tests -> D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\IronRuby.Tests.exe
------ Build started: Project: Ruby.Console, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
  Ruby.Console -> D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\ir.exe
------ Build started: Project: IronPythonWindow, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------

------ Build started: Project: IronPythonTest, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
error CS0006: Metadata file 'D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\IronPython.dll' could not be found

Compile complete -- 1 errors, 0 warnings
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(1360,9): warning MSB3267: The primary reference "Microsoft.CSharp", which is a framework assembly, could not be resolved in the currently targeted framework. ".NETFramework,Version=v3.5". To resolve this problem, either remove the reference "Microsoft.CSharp" or retarget your application to a framework version which contains "Microsoft.CSharp".
------ Build started: Project: IronPythonConsole, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
error CS0006: Metadata file 'D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\IronPython.dll' could not be found

Compile complete -- 1 errors, 0 warnings
------ Build started: Project: Metadata, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
  Metadata -> D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\Metadata.exe
------ Build started: Project: IronRuby.Libraries.Yaml, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
  IronRuby.Libraries.Yaml -> D:\Downloads\Development\IronPython\IronLanguages-main-5c478d4\bin\v2Release\IronRuby.Libraries.Yaml.dll
------ Skipped Build: Project: Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight, Configuration: Silverlight3Release Any CPU ------
Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
------ Skipped Build: Project: RowanTest.Common, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
------ Skipped Build: Project: HostingTest, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
------ Skipped Build: Project: Chiron, Configuration: Silverlight3Release Any CPU ------
Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
------ Skipped Build: Project: ClrAssembly, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
------ Skipped Build: Project: TestInternalDLR, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
------ Skipped Build: Project: IronPython.Wpf, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
------ Skipped Build: Project: Microsoft.Scripting.AspNet, Configuration: v2Release Any CPU ------
Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
------ Skipped Build: Project: sympl, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------
Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
------ Skipped Build: Project: Hosting Scenarios, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------
Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
========== Build: 16 succeeded or up-to-date, 7 failed, 10 skipped ==========

Is the configuration correct?

Thanks,

Raj

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Raghavendra Chandrashekara <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I downloaded the latest snapshot from github and used the Solutions\Dlr.sln file to build the v2Release configuration. There were a couple of compilation errors, no Complex object in .NET 3.5, and no StringBuilder.Clear() method which were easy enough to get around. After the changes (I hope I didn't break anything) I was able to compile a set of dlls I can use. Now for some testing. Thanks for your help guys.

Raj