Configuring IDLE for Python 3.2.2 on Ubuntu

Configuring IDLE for Python 3.2.2 on Ubuntu

MusicKev
I have Python 2.7 and python 3.2.2 installed on my system. There is a version of IDLE installed for each version of Python but they all open Python 2.7.
How can I configure IDLE to open the Python 3.2.2 version?
Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Configuring IDLE for Python 3.2.2 on Ubuntu

Ned Deily
In article <[hidden email]>,
 MusicKev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have Python 2.7 and python 3.2.2 installed on my system. There is a version
> of IDLE installed for each version of Python but they all open Python 2.7.
> How can I configure IDLE to open the Python 3.2.2 version?

Try typing 'idle3' instead of 'idle'.

--
 Ned Deily,

Re: Configuring IDLE for Python 3.2.2 on Ubuntu

MusicKev

Ned Deily wrote
In article <32642225.post@talk.nabble.com>,
 MusicKev <kevin@kevinturnercareer.com> wrote:

> I have Python 2.7 and python 3.2.2 installed on my system. There is a version
> of IDLE installed for each version of Python but they all open Python 2.7.
> How can I configure IDLE to open the Python 3.2.2 version?

Try typing 'idle3' instead of 'idle'.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad@acm.org

Hi Ned,

Iidle3 from the terminal does not work. I get an error "IDLE can't import Tkinter. Your Python may not be configured for Tk."   Same error if I just type idle.
I can launch Python3 from the terminal.
I can launch IDLE 2.7.1 from the GUI. I am new to Linux and am a bit lost trying to troubleshoot. It seems like an install problem or a configuration problem but I can't figure it out.
I have Python/IDLE3 working on Mac and Windows but I need it on Linux for a class project.

Thanks.

Re: Configuring IDLE for Python 3.2.2 on Ubuntu

Ned Deily
In article <[hidden email]>,
 MusicKev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ned Deily wrote:
> > In article <[hidden email]>,
> >  MusicKev <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I have Python 2.7 and python 3.2.2 installed on my system. There is a
> >> version
> >> of IDLE installed for each version of Python but they all open Python
> >> 2.7.
> >> How can I configure IDLE to open the Python 3.2.2 version?
> >
> > Try typing 'idle3' instead of 'idle'.
> Iidle3 from the terminal does not work. I get an error "IDLE can't import
> Tkinter. Your Python may not be configured for Tk."   Same error if I just
> type idle.
> I can launch Python3 from the terminal.
> I can launch IDLE 2.7.1 from the GUI. I am new to Linux and am a bit lost
> trying to troubleshoot. It seems like an install problem or a configuration
> problem but I can't figure it out.
> I have Python/IDLE3 working on Mac and Windows but I need it on Linux for a
> class project.

Sorry, I don't have an Ubuntu system at hand to test with and I'm not
sure what release you are using.  If you've installed the idle-python3.2
package, presumably all the dependencies should have been installed.  It
also looks like Ubuntu installs the idle script as
/usr/bin/idle-python3.2.  Try that.  You might want to ask on an Ubuntu
forum.

--
 Ned Deily,

Re: Configuring IDLE for Python 3.2.2 on Ubuntu

Tal Einat
On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 5:06 AM, Ned Deily <[hidden email]> wrote:
In article <[hidden email]>,
 MusicKev <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ned Deily wrote:
> > In article <[hidden email]>,
> >  MusicKev <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I have Python 2.7 and python 3.2.2 installed on my system. There is a
> >> version
> >> of IDLE installed for each version of Python but they all open Python
> >> 2.7.
> >> How can I configure IDLE to open the Python 3.2.2 version?
> >
> > Try typing 'idle3' instead of 'idle'.
> Iidle3 from the terminal does not work. I get an error "IDLE can't import
> Tkinter. Your Python may not be configured for Tk."   Same error if I just
> type idle.
> I can launch Python3 from the terminal.
> I can launch IDLE 2.7.1 from the GUI. I am new to Linux and am a bit lost
> trying to troubleshoot. It seems like an install problem or a configuration
> problem but I can't figure it out.
> I have Python/IDLE3 working on Mac and Windows but I need it on Linux for a
> class project.

Sorry, I don't have an Ubuntu system at hand to test with and I'm not
sure what release you are using.  If you've installed the idle-python3.2
package, presumably all the dependencies should have been installed.  It
also looks like Ubuntu installs the idle script as
/usr/bin/idle-python3.2.  Try that.  You might want to ask on an Ubuntu
forum.

In my Ubuntu installation (version 10.10 a.k.a. Maverick) I only see Python 3.1 in Aptitude, not 3.2. Did you install manually from source? If so then that means you needs to install dependencies manually, and you probably haven't installed Tkinter or Tcl/Tk (used by Tkinter) in a way that your installation of Python 3.2 can recognize.

Do you really need Python 3.2? You can install version 3.1 of Python using Aptitude (manually with the command line or using Synaptic), and you should get a working version of IDLE with Python 3.1.

If you really need Python 3.2, on its download page[1] there is a link to a page regarding Tkinter[2] which should contain the required information on which version of Tcl/Tk you need to install, and perhaps how.

Please tell us how this worked out for future reference!
- Tal Einat

[1] http://python.org/download/releases/3.2.2/
[2] http://python.org/download/mac/tcltk

 Tal Einat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do you really need Python 3.2? You can install version 3.1 of Python using
> Aptitude (manually with the command line or using Synaptic), and you should
> get a working version of IDLE with Python 3.1.
>
> If you really need Python 3.2, on its download page[1] there is a link to a
> page regarding Tkinter[2] which should contain the required information on
> which version of Tcl/Tk you need to install, and perhaps how.

If you are using Python 3, you should use Python 3.2.x if at all
possible, not any earlier versions of Python 3.  There are just too many
bug fixes and performance improvements along with the new features.
It's not like the difference between, say, Python 2.6 and 2.7.  And
maintenance on Python 3.1 by the Python-dev team has ceased; only any
urgent security fix that might arise would be issued for 3.1.x.

--
 Ned Deily,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:51 PM, Ned Deily <[hidden email]> wrote:
In article
<[hidden email]>,
 Tal Einat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do you really need Python 3.2? You can install version 3.1 of Python using
> Aptitude (manually with the command line or using Synaptic), and you should
> get a working version of IDLE with Python 3.1.
>
> If you really need Python 3.2, on its download page[1] there is a link to a
> page regarding Tkinter[2] which should contain the required information on
> which version of Tcl/Tk you need to install, and perhaps how.

If you are using Python 3, you should use Python 3.2.x if at all
possible, not any earlier versions of Python 3.  There are just too many
bug fixes and performance improvements along with the new features.
It's not like the difference between, say, Python 2.6 and 2.7.  And
maintenance on Python 3.1 by the Python-dev team has ceased; only any
urgent security fix that might arise would be issued for 3.1.x.

That's true.

Perhaps whoever is in charge of the Ubuntu package management system should be encouraged to update to Python 3.2 instead of 3.1? Installing IDLE otherwise is quite complicated -- nobody here on IDLE-dev has explained how to do it in the few days since the question was posted!

- Tal Einat

Re: Configuring IDLE for Python 3.2.2 on Ubuntu

Weeble

How did you install Python and IDLE? On my 32-bit Ubuntu 11.04 VM, idle3 works for me, although it looks like I only have Python 3.2, possibly not 3.2.2. Some details you might compare to your own setup:

/usr/bin/idle3 is an executable script provided by the "idle3" package.

/usr/bin/idle3 specifies /usr/bin/python3 as its interpreter.

/usr/bin/python3 is a symlink to python3.2.

The "idle3" package requires the "python3" and "python3-tk" packages. If you installed it with "sudo apt-get install idle3", they will have been installed automatically.

The Python 3 packages I have are "python3", "python3-minimal", "python3-tk", "python3.2", "python3.2-minimal", and "idle3".

As far as I can tell, IDLE uses sys.executable to determine the Python to launch for its shell, and this will always be the Python that IDLE itself is running in.

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 12:23 AM, MusicKev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ned Deily wrote:
>>
>> In article <[hidden email]>,
>>  MusicKev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I have Python 2.7 and python 3.2.2 installed on my system. There is a
>>> version
>>> of IDLE installed for each version of Python but they all open Python
>>> 2.7.
>>> How can I configure IDLE to open the Python 3.2.2 version?
>>
>> Try typing 'idle3' instead of 'idle'.
>>
>> --
>>  Ned Deily,
>>  [hidden email]

> Hi Ned,
>
> Iidle3 from the terminal does not work. I get an error "IDLE can't import
> Tkinter. Your Python may not be configured for Tk."   Same error if I just
> type idle.
> I can launch Python3 from the terminal.
> I can launch IDLE 2.7.1 from the GUI. I am new to Linux and am a bit lost
> trying to troubleshoot. It seems like an install problem or a configuration
> problem but I can't figure it out.
> I have Python/IDLE3 working on Mac and Windows but I need it on Linux for a
> class project.
>
> Thanks.

Re: Configuring IDLE for Python 3.2.2 on Ubuntu

MusicKev
Thank you, I have it working now! I do need to include the path to IDLE for it to work which suprises me since it is located in /usr/bin
Kevin
Weeble wrote