Contributing to Jython

David Charles
Thus sayeth Jim Baker in a separate discussion:

"But do be aware we are usually at most 2 to 5 developers, working in our spare time. So
everything takes much longer than one would hope."

I use Jython in my daily work and would like to help.  Is this contribution guide up-to-date?
Thanks,
David

Re: Contributing to Jython

Stefan Richthofer
Hello David,
help on this front is truely appreciated! Thanks for joining.
While the guide should be mostly up to date, it is straight forward these days to work with our github mirror at
You can file PRs against that mirror and some of the core-devs takes care to merge it via hg if it gets accepted.
Use https://github.com/jython/jython3 if you want do help with Jython 3.
That said, depending on what you want to do, I guess you could go on with one of the following directions roughly:

- go to http://bugs.jython.org/ and choose your favorit issue to work on. We would discuss details there and give guidance if we can.
One of the most challenging and hottest issues is http://bugs.jython.org/issue2487 (blocked release for a while), it requires notable skills with Java threading, synchronization and stuff. But any issue is fine I suppose.
- after 2.7.1 release, a major challenge will be to merge 2.7.1 with Jython 3. Jython 3 was froked shortly after 2.7.0 release and 2.7 branch received important improvements since then. On the other hand, serious work was done on Jython 3 branch as well. IMO we will have to go through changes and merge one by one (i.e. those relevant for Jython 3). I hope the major part of this work can be done in a semi-automated manner. However, every bit of help will be very useful on this front
- Jython is going to adopt CPython's github based new workflow. Also, we are planning to move from ant to gradle. If you want to help on setup stuff, talk to Darjus or Jim
- something else? Just aks. E.g. docs and wiki need improvement; there is JyNI - talk to me for that; Clamp - talk to Jim or Darjus for that...

Looking forward to work with you.

Best

-Stefan

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 25. Mai 2017 um 22:39 Uhr
Von: "David Charles" <[hidden email]>
An: [hidden email]
Betreff: [Jython-dev] Contributing to Jython
Thus sayeth Jim Baker in a separate discussion:

"But do be aware we are usually at most 2 to 5 developers, working in our spare time. So
everything takes much longer than one would hope."
I use Jython in my daily work and would like to help.  Is this contribution guide up-to-date?
Thanks,
David
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot_______________________________________________ Jython-dev mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jython-dev

Re: Contributing to Jython

Javen O'Neal
David,

One thing the dev guide doesn't mention is a recommendation of an IDE. At least one developer uses IntelliJ. I'm hoping that setting up IntelliJ will make it easier to make my first contribution, too. Right now I'm doing everything command line on a Chromebook, which works but is slow.

'm guessing IntelliJ IDEA is the IDE of choice among Jython devs, given the inclusion of the IDE-specific directory https://github.com/jythontools/jython/tree/master/b/.idea/libraries

If you have a favorite IDE that can compile and run Java code, Ant, and Gradle builds and understands Python at least we'll enough for syntax highlighting, then it'll probably work.

If you're working on the command line, if you launch a Jython interpreter in the Jython source directory, it'll probably run your working copy rather than your system installed version of Jython.

Another thing that would've helpful to a new developer is the code layout, as it appears like there are several directories to look in for code, here https://github.com/jythontools/jython?files=1

1. To my understanding, code in ^/lib-python/2.7 is copied from CPython source and should not be modified by us.

2. Code in ^/Lib will override any file in ^/lib-python/2.7. Note that the override is performed at the file level rather than maintaining a set of patches to apply to new versions of the portions of the CPython standard library that are written in Python.

Anything in CPython that is written in C will need to be rewritten in pure python (might be able to borrow from PyPy if their code isn't written in RPython and is appropriately licensed).

3. Finally, ^/src contains the Java code for lexing and parsing Python grammar, as well as any modules that are written in Java instead of Python for performance reasons or because they're more closely coupled to the host OS.

Perhaps this is documented elsewhere, but couldn't hurt to reiterate in http://www.jython.org/devguide/