Create on Win and run on Win or Mac

Bret Edwards

I would like to create a Python (stand-alone executable) program on a Windows machine and deploy the finished product on other Windows machines (of varying Windows OS versions) and
also on Mac machines (of varying Mac OS versions.) The program would present a GUI that the user would interact with and would only have simple computations.

I looks like I could do the creation work twice (once for Windows and once for Mac) and then also create separate install packages. However, I would like to only do the creation
work once and do it on a Windows machine and then be able to deploy to either Win or Mac. I understand that will mean separate intstallation packages due to the different
environments.

Is this possible? I do not think that it is, but asking just to be sure.

If so, what tools do I use to do the packaging? Do I use py2app for the Mac?
Thanks,
Bret

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Create on Win and run on Win or Mac

Terry Reedy
On 6/1/2015 7:29 PM, Bret Edwards via Python-list wrote:

> I would like to create a Python (stand-alone executable) program on a
> Windows machine and deploy the finished product on other Windows
> machines (of varying Windows OS versions) and
> also on Mac machines (of varying Mac OS versions.) The program would
> present a GUI that the user would interact with and would only have
> simple computations.
>
> I looks like I could do the creation work twice (once for Windows and
> once for Mac) and then also create separate install packages. However, I
> would like to only do the creation
> work once and do it on a Windows machine and then be able to deploy to
> either Win or Mac. I understand that will mean separate intstallation
> packages due to the different
> environments.
>
> Is this possible? I do not think that it is, but asking just to be sure.
>
> If so, what tools do I use to do the packaging? Do I use py2app for the Mac?

renpy at renpy.org lets one develop script for a python-based visual
novel, simulation game (or similar visual app) and deploy on windows,
linux, and mac.  Push a button and its creates 3 installation packages.
  I have no idea how it does so, but it is open source.

I just checked and it now also deploys to android 2.3+ and ios6+ (in beta).

--
Terry Jan Reedy