Creating multiple objects with one request in Django Rest Framework

Creating multiple objects with one request in Django Rest Framework

Aamu Padi

I am using Django as the backend server and Vue.js for the front end Movie app.

I have a Ticket model

class MovieTicket(models.Model):
    show = models.ForeignKey(Show)
    seat = models.ForeignKey(Seat)
    user = models.ForeignKey(User)
    purchased_at = models.DateTimeField(default=timezone.now)
    qrcode = models.ImageField(upload_to='qrcode', blank=True, null=True)
    qrcode_data = models.CharField(max_length=255, unique=True, blank=True)

    class Meta:
        unique_together = ('show', 'seat')

And its related Serializer

class MovieTicketSerializer(serializers.ModelSerializer):
    class Meta:
        model = MovieTicket
        fields = '__all__'

To buy a new Ticket there's a view which is mapped to this url http://dev.site.com/api/movies/buy-ticket/:

@api_view(['POST'])
@permission_classes([IsAuthenticated])
def buy_ticket(request):
    serialized = MovieTicketSerializer(data=request.data)
    if serialized.is_valid():
        serialized.save()
        return Response(serialized.data, status=status.HTTP_201_CREATED)
    return Response(serialized._errors, status=status.HTTP_400_BAD_REQUEST)

Now from the front end (Vue.js) I can create a new movie ticket like this:

const formBody = {
    show: this.$store.state.showSelected.showTime.id,
    user: this.$store.state.user.id,

    // selectedSeats is an array of seats that have been selected by the user. Here I am passing the first seat object.
    seat: this.$store.state.selectedSeats[0].seat.id
};

this.$http.post("http://dev.site.com/api/movies/buy-ticket/", formBody)
    .then(function (response) {
        console.log(response.data);
    })
    .catch(function (response) {
        console.log(response);
    });
return;

If the form was valid, this will create a new MovieTicket Object.

Now, suppose if the user selected multiple seats, I can loop through each selectedSeats array and get the seat ids. But what I am confused is how can I pass multiple seat.id if Django rest framework is only accepting one seat per request?

Re: Creating multiple objects with one request in Django Rest Framework

m712 - Developer

Hi,
Take a look at https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/topics/db/examples/many_to_many/

On Apr 17, 2017 8:19 AM, Aamu Padi <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I couldn't find anything useful in that link that can help me solve my problem. What am I missing?

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:54 AM, m712 - Developer <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Camilo Torres

May be you can create a new Serializer, including a ListField to get multiple seat IDs:

class ManyMovieTicketsSerializer(serializers.Serializer):
    show = serializers.IntegerField
    user = serializers.IntegerField
    seats = serializers.ListField(child=serializers.IntegerFields)

    def create(self, validated_data):
        iterate over seats and save every instance.

To buy a new Ticket there's a view which is mapped to this url <a href="http://dev.site.com/api/movies/buy-ticket/" rel="nofollow" style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;color:rgb(0,89,153)" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fdev.site.com%2Fapi%2Fmovies%2Fbuy-ticket%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHSjYjP9Mi3G6eIZla7lNgv6GVehQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fdev.site.com%2Fapi%2Fmovies%2Fbuy-ticket%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHSjYjP9Mi3G6eIZla7lNgv6GVehQ&#39;;return true;">http://dev.site.com/api/movies/buy-ticket/:

@api_view(['POST'])
@permission_classes([IsAuthenticated])
def buy_ticket(request):
    serialized = MovieTicketSerializer(data=request.data)
    if serialized.is_valid():
        serialized.save()
        return Response(serialized.data, status=status.HTTP_201_CREATED)
    return Response(serialized._errors, status=status.HTTP_400_BAD_REQUEST)

Now from the front end (Vue.js) I can create a new movie ticket like this:

const formBody = {
    show: this.$store.state.showSelected.showTime.id,
    user: this.$store.state.user.id,

    // selectedSeats is an array of seats that have been selected by the user. Here I am passing the first seat object.
    seat: this.$store.state.selectedSeats[0].seat.id
};

this.$http.post("<a href="http://dev.site.com/api/movies/buy-ticket/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fdev.site.com%2Fapi%2Fmovies%2Fbuy-ticket%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHSjYjP9Mi3G6eIZla7lNgv6GVehQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fdev.site.com%2Fapi%2Fmovies%2Fbuy-ticket%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHSjYjP9Mi3G6eIZla7lNgv6GVehQ&#39;;return true;">http://dev.site.com/api/movies/buy-ticket/", formBody)
    .then(function (response) {
        console.log(response.data);
    })
    .catch(function (response) {
        console.log(response);
    });
return;

If the form was valid, this will create a new MovieTicket Object.

Now, suppose if the user selected multiple seats, I can loop through each selectedSeats array and get the seat ids. But what I am confused is how can I pass multiple <a href="http://seat.id" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fseat.id\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNF1XTEbn__i_NA5kmsTIrLwObLCZA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fseat.id\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNF1XTEbn__i_NA5kmsTIrLwObLCZA&#39;;return true;">seat.id if Django rest framework is only accepting one seat per request?

Re: Creating multiple objects with one request in Django Rest Framework

Christian Ledermann
maybe
https://github.com/marcgibbons/django-rest-framework-bulk

HTH

On 18 April 2017 at 11:29, Camilo Torres <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> May be you can create a new Serializer, including a ListField to get
> multiple seat IDs:
>
> class ManyMovieTicketsSerializer(serializers.Serializer):
>     show = serializers.IntegerField
>     user = serializers.IntegerField
>     seats = serializers.ListField(child=serializers.IntegerFields)
>
>     def create(self, validated_data):
>         iterate over seats and save every instance.
>
> On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 1:19:23 AM UTC-4, Aamu Padi wrote:
>>
>> I am using Django as the backend server and Vue.js for the front end Movie
>> app.
>>
>> I have a Ticket model
>>
>> class MovieTicket(models.Model):
>>     show = models.ForeignKey(Show)
>>     seat = models.ForeignKey(Seat)
>>     user = models.ForeignKey(User)
>>     purchased_at = models.DateTimeField(default=timezone.now)
>>     qrcode = models.ImageField(upload_to='qrcode', blank=True, null=True)
>>     qrcode_data = models.CharField(max_length=255, unique=True,
>> blank=True)
>>
>>     class Meta:
>>         unique_together = ('show', 'seat')
>>
>> And its related Serializer
>>
>> class MovieTicketSerializer(serializers.ModelSerializer):
>>     class Meta:
>>         model = MovieTicket
>>         fields = '__all__'
>>
>> To buy a new Ticket there's a view which is mapped to this url
>> http://dev.site.com/api/movies/buy-ticket/:
>>
>> @api_view(['POST'])
>> @permission_classes([IsAuthenticated])
>> def buy_ticket(request):
>>     serialized = MovieTicketSerializer(data=request.data)
>>     if serialized.is_valid():
>>         serialized.save()
>>         return Response(serialized.data, status=status.HTTP_201_CREATED)
>>     return Response(serialized._errors,
>> status=status.HTTP_400_BAD_REQUEST)
>>
>> Now from the front end (Vue.js) I can create a new movie ticket like this:
>>
>> const formBody = {
>>     show: this.$store.state.showSelected.showTime.id,
>>     user: this.$store.state.user.id,
>>
>>     // selectedSeats is an array of seats that have been selected by the
>> user. Here I am passing the first seat object.
>>     seat: this.$store.state.selectedSeats[0].seat.id
>> };
>>
>> this.$http.post("http://dev.site.com/api/movies/buy-ticket/", formBody)
>>     .then(function (response) {
>>         console.log(response.data);
>>     })
>>     .catch(function (response) {
>>         console.log(response);
>>     });
>> return;
>>
>> If the form was valid, this will create a new MovieTicket Object.
>>
>> Now, suppose if the user selected multiple seats, I can loop through each
>> selectedSeats array and get the seat ids. But what I am confused is how can
>> I pass multiple seat.id if Django rest framework is only accepting one seat
>> per request?

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/b8c28522-cf21-4081-9563-97a869f4fa7f%40googlegroups.com.

Best Regards,

Christian Ledermann

Newark-on-Trent - UK
Mobile : +44 7474997517

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/christianledermann
https://github.com/cleder/

<*)))>{

If you save the living environment, the biodiversity that we have left,
you will also automatically save the physical environment, too. But If
you only save the physical environment, you will ultimately lose both.

1) Don’t drive species to extinction

2) Don’t destroy a habitat that species rely on.

3) Don’t change the climate in ways that will result in the above.

}<(((*>

Re: Creating multiple objects with one request in Django Rest Framework

Aamu Padi
@Camilo Hi, I tried this way

class ManyMovieTicketSerializer(serializers.ModelSerializer):
    seats = serializers.ListField(
        child=serializers.IntegerField(min_value=0, max_value=100)
    )
    class Meta:
        model = MovieTicket
        fields = '__all__'

But I am getting error:

AttributeError at /api/movies/buy-many-tickets/

Got AttributeError when attempting to get a value for field `seats` on serializer `ManyMovieTicketSerializer`.
The serializer field might be named incorrectly and not match any attribute or key on the `MovieTicket` instance.
Original exception text was: 'MovieTicket' object has no attribute 'seats'.

What am I missing?