CruiseControl for Jython

Ray Djajadinata
Hi Frank,

Great! BTW, I'm moving this discussion to jython-dev because this already delves into the subject of Jython development instead of usage.

Yes, being able to produce instant snapshot releases is the main goal. Ideally, any Jython developer should be able to:

1. Checkout Jython
2. Modify development environment-specific values (e.g.: Python installation directory) in a properties file
3. Issue a single command, e.g.: ant.sh / ant.cmd
4. Get a ready-to-distribute/download Jython

With CC this will happen in a loop, which will run everytime it detects a change in the source tree, and email relevant people whenever the build fails/tests are not passed, etc. Does Jython have a dedicated build machine as of now?

To achieve this ideal, we need to prepare several things:

1. Like you mentioned earlier, reorganization of Jython source tree structure
2. Decide on specific version of thirdparty libraries we're building against. E.g.: JythoncAntTask depends on Ant. Which version, specifically? Which version of GNU ReadLine? etc.
3. Commit these libraries in #2 as part of the source tree. (This has pros and cons--and alternative would be to use the "download JAR as required" a la Maven. However my personal experience with Maven hasn't been good--I'd much prefer Ant and the single-command-to-get-everything approach I mentioned above).
4. Meanwhile I'll write the script, and the configuration steps. Once they're done, they should be part of the source as well--after this you'll be able to checkout Jython source into your development machine, issue something like:

nohup ./ant.sh cc &

and have it running and nagging you whenever something is not right :)

I'll need to know your plan for Jython build directory structure though.

Let me know of your thoughts/comments,
Ray

Re: CruiseControl for Jython

Ray Djajadinata
Sorry Frank,

I may have misread your email--it seems that you're referring to a CC wrapper over the existing structure instead of one after your overhaul of the structure? If yes, let me take sometime to work on it this weekend--I should be able to give you a patch within a week. :)

Cheers
Ray

> - Continuous integration, if the Jython lead deems it necessary--I've got quite an experience setting up and maintaining CruiseControl

I am hugely in favor of adding a CruiseControl wrapper around Jython.
Submit it as a patch and I will  put it at the top of my patch list --
In particular I'd love to have some kind of instant snapshot releases
so people could grab the latest from a simple link, run the installer,
and have it.

-Frank

Re: CruiseControl for Jython

Samuele Pedroni
Ray Djajadinata wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> Great! BTW, I'm moving this discussion to jython-dev because this already delves into the subject of Jython development instead of usage.
>
> Yes, being able to produce instant snapshot releases is the main goal. Ideally, any Jython developer should be able to:
>
> 1. Checkout Jython
> 2. Modify development environment-specific values (e.g.: Python installation directory) in a properties file
> 3. Issue a single command, e.g.: ant.sh / ant.cmd
> 4. Get a ready-to-distribute/download Jython
>
> With CC this will happen in a loop, which will run everytime it detects a change in the source tree, and email relevant people whenever the build fails/tests are not passed, etc. Does Jython have a dedicated build machine as of now?
>
> To achieve this ideal, we need to prepare several things:
>
> 1. Like you mentioned earlier, reorganization of Jython source tree structure
> 2. Decide on specific version of thirdparty libraries we're building against. E.g.: JythoncAntTask depends on Ant. Which version, specifically? Which version of GNU ReadLine? etc.

no version of GNU Readline because of license.

> 3. Commit these libraries in #2 as part of the source tree. (This has pros and cons--and alternative would be to use the "download JAR as required" a la Maven. However my personal experience with Maven hasn't been good--I'd much prefer Ant and the single-command-to-get-everything approach I mentioned above).
> 4. Meanwhile I'll write the script, and the configuration steps. Once they're done, they should be part of the source as well--after this you'll be able to checkout Jython source into your development machine, issue something like:
>
> nohup ./ant.sh cc &
>
> and have it running and nagging you whenever something is not right :)
>
> I'll need to know your plan for Jython build directory structure though.
>
> Let me know of your thoughts/comments,
> Ray

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
Ray,

Hmmm, you may want to wait for the overhaul, it will probably be
easier to do the CC work when I make the directory structure more
ant-friendly.

-Frank

On 3/29/06, Ray Djajadinata <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry Frank,
>
> I may have misread your email--it seems that you're referring to a CC wrapper over the existing structure instead of one after your overhaul of the structure? If yes, let me take sometime to work on it this weekend--I should be able to give you a patch within a week. :)
>
> Cheers
> Ray

Re: Re: CruiseControl for Jython

Ray Djajadinata
Hi Frank,

OK, I'll wait then. When do you want to do this, you think?

Meanwhile, I'll continue looking at the code :)

Regards,
Ray

Hmmm, you may want to wait for the overhaul, it will probably be
easier to do the CC work when I make the directory structure more
ant-friendly.

-Frank

On 3/29/06, Ray Djajadinata <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry Frank,
>
> I may have misread your email--it seems that you're referring to a CC wrapper over the existing structure instead of one after your overhaul of the structure? If yes, let me take sometime to work on it this weekend--I should be able to give you a patch within a week. :)
>
> Cheers
> Ray

Re: Re: CruiseControl for Jython

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
On 3/29/06, Ray Djajadinata <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> OK, I'll wait then. When do you want to do this, you think?
>
> Meanwhile, I'll continue looking at the code :)
>
> Regards,
> Ray
I'm gearing up to test sourceforge's cvs->subversion migration tool in
about a week.  If all goes *perfectly* (my biggest worry is that some
tagging may not make it over) then I will declare the subverision
repository as the official repository and will then propose a new
structure.  It is hard to say how long all of this will take because
of the uncertainty in the migration.  Just to keep anyone from worryig
to much: the migration tool does not change the CVS repository in any
way (though I will back it up just in case).

-Frank