Dealing with misc parts of a project

Simon Connah-2
When writing a project in Django it is a common occurrence that there are some small elements that must be shared between all applications in the project but that do not fit within the context of any of the apps as it would break encapsulation. I'm thinking about things such as terms and conditions pages (which admittedly could use the flat pages mechanism but that does not offer quite the same level of control as I am looking for) and privacy policies.

So do you just tend to create a new misc app to hold all these little bits and pieces or is there a convention for such things?

Thanks,
Simon.

Re: Dealing with misc parts of a project

Micky Hulse-4
On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Simon Connah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So do you just tend to create a new misc app to hold all these little bits and pieces or is there a convention for such things?

I asked a similar question here:

<https://groups.google.com/d/topic/django-users/pkwfDEzyZlA/discussion>

For a few projects at work, we use a "global" app that contains code
for use in other apps.

I am looking forward to hear what others have to say. :)

Thanks!
Micky

Re: Dealing with misc parts of a project

DrBloodmoney
On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Micky Hulse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Simon Connah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> So do you just tend to create a new misc app to hold all these little bits and pieces or is there a convention for such things?

> For a few projects at work, we use a "global" app that contains code
> for use in other apps.

Very similar. I think that a lot of people use a 'core' app. It's what
I use and where I dump a lot of models and utilities/forms that cannot
be separated from the project itself. It's where I'll put profiles and
account routing, about pages, etc.

On 22/09/2011 19:50, DrBloodmoney wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Micky Hulse<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Simon Connah<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> So do you just tend to create a new misc app to hold all these little bits and pieces or is there a convention for such things?
>> For a few projects at work, we use a "global" app that contains code
>> for use in other apps.
>>
> Very similar. I think that a lot of people use a 'core' app. It's what
> I use and where I dump a lot of models and utilities/forms that cannot
> be separated from the project itself. It's where I'll put profiles and
> account routing, about pages, etc.

Ah good. At least I am following convention then with the only
difference that I tend to put project specific stuff in an app called misc.

This is one of the areas that I think Django could do with improving on.
You might not have enough functionality to justify turning it into a
complete application but you still want to keep it clean and tidy somewhere.

Re: Dealing with misc parts of a project

Tom Evans-3
On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Simon Connah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is one of the areas that I think Django could do with improving on. You
> might not have enough functionality to justify turning it into a complete
> application but you still want to keep it clean and tidy somewhere.

Depends on your definition of 'a complete application'. I have django
apps that consist of a few templates, or a single piece of middleware,
or a single model. Sometimes things fall like that, an app is not such
a heavyweight thing.

Cheers

Tom