Debugging PyQt application on Android

Alexander Rössler-3

I succeeded in building the PyQt-demo application for Android using pyqtdeploy. However, the app instantly closes (no crash notification) after opening. What is the best way to debug the problem?

The documentation for pyqtdeploy does not state which version of Android NDK/SDK, Python and PyQt it has been tested against, it would be great to include this information.

Thanks,

Alex

Re: Debugging PyQt application on Android

Kálmán Viktor
The QT documentation states which versions are supported: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/android-getting-started.html as for Python/PyQt afaik all recent versions should be.

For debug you can check the Android logs with `adb logcat` also the Android debugger somewhat works with the the apk that pyqtdeploy produces however I haven't used it much.

Alexander Rössler <[hidden email]> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. jan. 16., Sze, 20:17):

I succeeded in building the PyQt-demo application for Android using pyqtdeploy. However, the app instantly closes (no crash notification) after opening. What is the best way to debug the problem?

The documentation for pyqtdeploy does not state which version of Android NDK/SDK, Python and PyQt it has been tested against, it would be great to include this information.

Thanks,

Alex

Re: Debugging PyQt application on Android

Alexander Rössler-3
I can confirm that the version of Qt version I tested with works perfectly fine on Android using Qt/C++. Debugging a Qt/C++ application from Qt Creator also works great via gdb.

As for PyQt, there is no mentioning of any specific version being supported or tested with Android: http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/pyqtdeploy/overview.html It only says android-32 is supported (I guess this means 32bit arm?). This doesn't really help as there are many different Android API versions for both SDK and NDK. I know from other projects that choosing the right NDK and SDK versions makes a project run or not. Therefore, it would be great if the guide would mention the versions pyqtdeploy has been tested with.

I also tried adb logcat for debugging, but unfortunately, that's only helpful if the application is already started and not if exiting during start. It looks like it's exiting cleanly as neither logcat nor the phone UI shows an error message.