Deferring "Sign the CLA"

Carlton Gibson-3
Hi all.

The CLA makes two appearances in the docs:

* New contributors: First Steps
* Twice in Submitting Patches

This has come up before but, we don't actually check or insist that people sign the CLA. It's a nice to have, and we don't we don't want to get rid of it (last time at least) but that's all.

I'd like to do two things:

1. Move the CLA reference in First Steps to it's own section further down the page, saying something like... "once you get to making a larger contribution...".
2. Review the wording on Submitting Patches page similarly.

Why? Again, just to smooth the on-ramp. Step 1 of First Steps shouldn't be "Find a printer".
(That's obviously too quick. I can spell it out more fully if the point isn't clear 🙂)

Any great objection?
Thanks.
C.

Re: Deferring "Sign the CLA"

J. Pic
Hi Carlton,

Just wondering what's your plan ? combining peopledoc/django-docusign to automate CLA signing process with a gitub bot or something ?

Looking forward to learn moar about it, I'm sure Djangonauts holds a fair lot of dematirializators.

Best

Re: Deferring "Sign the CLA"

Adam Johnson-2
Moving it til later in the docs sounds good.

A GitHub bot and digital signing would be a nice next step, it's a bit of a project though. Unless we require it for all submissions, we'd need some kind of policy defining the "trivial" cutoff, e.g. 10 lines or more.

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 at 14:08, J. Pic <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Carlton,

Just wondering what's your plan ? combining peopledoc/django-docusign to automate CLA signing process with a gitub bot or something ?

Looking forward to learn moar about it, I'm sure Djangonauts holds a fair lot of dematirializators.

Best

Adam

Re: Deferring "Sign the CLA"

Florian Apolloner
I think the question is if we need those at all. This is something the DSF should be able to answer.

* New contributors: <a href="https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/contributing/new-contributors/#first-steps" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fdocs.djangoproject.com%2Fen%2Fdev%2Finternals%2Fcontributing%2Fnew-contributors%2F%23first-steps\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGrxeCZ9r_qz49OCbEFQU-B1wAbVA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fdocs.djangoproject.com%2Fen%2Fdev%2Finternals%2Fcontributing%2Fnew-contributors%2F%23first-steps\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGrxeCZ9r_qz49OCbEFQU-B1wAbVA&#39;;return true;">First Steps
* Twice in <a href="https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/contributing/writing-code/submitting-patches/#submitting-patches" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fdocs.djangoproject.com%2Fen%2Fdev%2Finternals%2Fcontributing%2Fwriting-code%2Fsubmitting-patches%2F%23submitting-patches\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNE8gQWdabBEzldaAFTRad_EQ-CjxA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fdocs.djangoproject.com%2Fen%2Fdev%2Finternals%2Fcontributing%2Fwriting-code%2Fsubmitting-patches%2F%23submitting-patches\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNE8gQWdabBEzldaAFTRad_EQ-CjxA&#39;;return true;">Submitting Patches

This has come up before but, we don't actually check or insist that people sign the CLA. It's a nice to have, and we don't we don't want to get rid of it (last time at least) but that's all.

I'd like to do two things:

1. Move the CLA reference in First Steps to it's own section further down the page, saying something like... "once you get to making a larger contribution...".
2. Review the wording on Submitting Patches page similarly.

Why? Again, just to smooth the on-ramp. Step 1 of First Steps shouldn't be "Find a printer".
(That's obviously too quick. I can spell it out more fully if the point isn't clear 🙂)

Any great objection?
Thanks.
C.

Re: Deferring "Sign the CLA"

J. Pic
Maybe accept gpg signatures for the cla document in a repo users make pull request too from now on and it's done.

Re: Deferring "Sign the CLA"

Carlton Gibson-3

On 27 Apr 2019, at 18:51, Florian Apolloner <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think the question is if we need those at all. This is something the DSF should be able to answer.

Ah, you’ve preempted a later question. 🙂

Right now I just wanted to move it down the page.

Maybe some online signing service would be good. (?)
(Anyone think they could get us setup quickly?)

I mentioned tying it into the Github workflow a while back, but that’s probably overkill.
(We don’t have so many signings that an online service we link to wouldn’t be enough, is the thought.)

I’ve asked Frank (DSF president) if the board can discuss whether we still need the CLA.

C.

Re: Deferring "Sign the CLA"

Carlton Gibson-3
I had something like DocuSign or similar in mind. (But it’s just a Maybe... at this point.)

The goal being to smooth away the barriers that stop people contributing before they’ve even started, IMO replacing “Find a Printer” with “Get set up with GPG” isn’t a step forwards. 😃

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 at 19:30, J. Pic <[hidden email]> wrote:
Maybe accept gpg signatures for the cla document in a repo users make pull request too from now on and it's done.

Re: Deferring "Sign the CLA"

J. Pic
Also signing the GPG signed CLA to the cla@ email might be less hassle for the board to receive and for most of current contributors to do, for example i couldn't sign in docusign for a few months without apparent reason using a gmail account, but maybe I'm the only person that was affected by that.

Re: Deferring "Sign the CLA"

Tobias McNulty
I'd be happy to try setting something up, but a quick search didn't turn up any obvious choices.

In the absence of information to the contrary, I'd hazard a guess that we still need the CLAs...

Tobias

On Sat, Apr 27, 2019, 1:26 PM Carlton Gibson <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 27 Apr 2019, at 18:51, Florian Apolloner <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think the question is if we need those at all. This is something the DSF should be able to answer.

Ah, you’ve preempted a later question. 🙂

Right now I just wanted to move it down the page.

Maybe some online signing service would be good. (?)
(Anyone think they could get us setup quickly?)

I mentioned tying it into the Github workflow a while back, but that’s probably overkill.
(We don’t have so many signings that an online service we link to wouldn’t be enough, is the thought.)

I’ve asked Frank (DSF president) if the board can discuss whether we still need the CLA.

C.

Re: Deferring "Sign the CLA"

Carsten Fuchs-4
Am 01.05.19 um 01:11 schrieb Tobias McNulty:
> In the absence of information to the contrary, I'd hazard a guess that we still need the CLAs...

I don't know to what extend this applies to Django, but here someone argues that CLAs are not necessary at all:

http://ebb.org/bkuhn/blog/2014/06/09/do-not-need-cla.html

Best regards,
Carsten

Re: Deferring "Sign the CLA"

Florian Apolloner

On Saturday, April 27, 2019 at 7:26:58 PM UTC+2, Carlton Gibson wrote:
Right now I just wanted to move it down the page.

By all means do so… I vaguely remember talking to Jacob when I saw him last and his stance on it was that we either do not need the CLA at all anymore or something like docusign would be enough. For instance Ansible has this https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/community/contributor_license_agreement.html and I am pretty sure Redhat had lawyers go over that…

Cheers,
Florian

Re: Deferring "Sign the CLA"

Tobias McNulty
On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 8:56 AM Florian Apolloner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Saturday, April 27, 2019 at 7:26:58 PM UTC+2, Carlton Gibson wrote:
Right now I just wanted to move it down the page.

By all means do so…

+1

I vaguely remember talking to Jacob when I saw him last and his stance on it was that we either do not need the CLA at all anymore or something like docusign would be enough. For instance Ansible has this https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/community/contributor_license_agreement.html and I am pretty sure Redhat had lawyers go over that…

This is great. Is there someone from the DSF on this list who would be willing to consult with a DSF attorney to see if language like this (and no signature requirement) would work?

Tobias

Re: Deferring "Sign the CLA"

J. Pic
On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 2:56 PM Florian Apolloner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Redhat had lawyers go over that…

If you want I can ask YourLabs lawyer, he's an ASF contributor and is the expert on that matter in my little country.

Let me know

Re: Deferring "Sign the CLA"

J. Pic
Just found Python's CLA page that offers a smooth experience with Adobe Sign.