Dev setup on windows

Patrick Stinson-3
How are others developing pyqt apps with sip extensions on windows? I have done this many ways the last 15 years, but it has always been a pain.

Developing a sip extension means you can’t use the qt/python binary installers because you don’t get the sip/python/qt headers and libs. But it is unclear how to install python/sip to a sysroot when building from source. But maybe I’m missing something from that route?

Or is pyqtdeploy-sysroot adequate for development as well as building a static release? I am still working through number of build issues on a vanilla install there so haven’t tried it yet.

Or maybe someone has a wiki outlining the dependencies and steps to get such a dev sysroot up?

Thanks!
-Patrick

Re: Dev setup on windows

Phil Thompson-5
On 21 Feb 2019, at 5:19 pm, Patrick Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How are others developing pyqt apps with sip extensions on windows? I have done this many ways the last 15 years, but it has always been a pain.
>
> Developing a sip extension means you can’t use the qt/python binary installers because you don’t get the sip/python/qt headers and libs. But it is unclear how to install python/sip to a sysroot when building from source. But maybe I’m missing something from that route?

The Python binary installers include everything you need as far as Python is concerned. The Qt binary installers include everything you need as far as Qt is concerned.

Building sip (with the code generator and header file) is simply running configure.py and nmake. It is best to do this in a venv. This is my development environment.

> Or is pyqtdeploy-sysroot adequate for development as well as building a static release? I am still working through number of build issues on a vanilla install there so haven’t tried it yet.
>
> Or maybe someone has a wiki outlining the dependencies and steps to get such a dev sysroot up?

Phil

Re: Dev setup on windows

Patrick Stinson-3
Thanks for the tip on venv. I haven’t used it before.

I am getting the following error after “python configure.py && nmake” in the sip dir:

LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'python36.lib’

What is the proper way to supply a lib dir? The file only exists in the PCBuild\win32 dir.

> On Feb 21, 2019, at 9:38 AM, Phil Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 21 Feb 2019, at 5:19 pm, Patrick Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> How are others developing pyqt apps with sip extensions on windows? I have done this many ways the last 15 years, but it has always been a pain.
>>
>> Developing a sip extension means you can’t use the qt/python binary installers because you don’t get the sip/python/qt headers and libs. But it is unclear how to install python/sip to a sysroot when building from source. But maybe I’m missing something from that route?
>
> The Python binary installers include everything you need as far as Python is concerned. The Qt binary installers include everything you need as far as Qt is concerned.
>
> Building sip (with the code generator and header file) is simply running configure.py and nmake. It is best to do this in a venv. This is my development environment.
>
>> Or is pyqtdeploy-sysroot adequate for development as well as building a static release? I am still working through number of build issues on a vanilla install there so haven’t tried it yet.
>>
>> Or maybe someone has a wiki outlining the dependencies and steps to get such a dev sysroot up?
>
> Phil

Re: Dev setup on windows

Patrick Stinson-3
Also, distutils.sysconfig doesn’t return a complete set of include paths for PyQt5’s configure.py; it leaves out Python-x.y.z\PC which contains pyconfig.h

How do you get around this?

> On Feb 21, 2019, at 10:24 AM, Patrick Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the tip on venv. I haven’t used it before.
>
> I am getting the following error after “python configure.py && nmake” in the sip dir:
>
> LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'python36.lib’
>
> What is the proper way to supply a lib dir? The file only exists in the PCBuild\win32 dir.
>

>> On Feb 21, 2019, at 9:38 AM, Phil Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 21 Feb 2019, at 5:19 pm, Patrick Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> How are others developing pyqt apps with sip extensions on windows? I have done this many ways the last 15 years, but it has always been a pain.
>>>
>>> Developing a sip extension means you can’t use the qt/python binary installers because you don’t get the sip/python/qt headers and libs. But it is unclear how to install python/sip to a sysroot when building from source. But maybe I’m missing something from that route?
>>
>> The Python binary installers include everything you need as far as Python is concerned. The Qt binary installers include everything you need as far as Qt is concerned.
>>
>> Building sip (with the code generator and header file) is simply running configure.py and nmake. It is best to do this in a venv. This is my development environment.
>>
>>> Or is pyqtdeploy-sysroot adequate for development as well as building a static release? I am still working through number of build issues on a vanilla install there so haven’t tried it yet.
>>>
>>> Or maybe someone has a wiki outlining the dependencies and steps to get such a dev sysroot up?
>>
>> Phil

Re: Dev setup on windows

Patrick Stinson-3
Another roadblock in PyQt5 on “nmake install” (after hacking configure scripts Re: previous emails). It appears the path separators are mangled and also the debug_suffix is not applied.

Just looking for how you do it without running into these problems. Thanks!

b\site-packages\PyQt5\QtNetworkAuth.pyi
        Z:\dev\vendor\sysroot-dev-win-32\Scripts\python_d.exe Z:\dev\vendor\sysroot-dev-win-32\build\PyQt5_gpl-5.11.3\mk_distinfo.py "" Z:\dev\vendor\sysroot-dev-win-32\Lib\site-packages\PyQt5-5.11.3.dist-info installed.txt
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Z:\dev\vendor\sysroot-dev-win-32\build\PyQt5_gpl-5.11.3\mk_distinfo.py", line 108, in <module>
    fn_f = open(fn, 'rb')
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'Z:\\dev\\vendor\\sysroot-dev-win-32\\Lib\\site-packages/PyQt5/QtCore.pyd'

> On Feb 21, 2019, at 11:50 AM, Patrick Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Also, distutils.sysconfig doesn’t return a complete set of include paths for PyQt5’s configure.py; it leaves out Python-x.y.z\PC which contains pyconfig.h
>
> How do you get around this?
>
>> On Feb 21, 2019, at 10:24 AM, Patrick Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the tip on venv. I haven’t used it before.
>>
>> I am getting the following error after “python configure.py && nmake” in the sip dir:
>>
>> LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'python36.lib’
>>
>> What is the proper way to supply a lib dir? The file only exists in the PCBuild\win32 dir.

>>> The Python binary installers include everything you need as far as Python is concerned. The Qt binary installers include everything you need as far as Qt is concerned.
>>>
>>> Building sip (with the code generator and header file) is simply running configure.py and nmake. It is best to do this in a venv. This is my development environment.

>>> Phil

Re: Dev setup on windows

Phil Thompson-5
So if you are using a debug version of Python you aren't using the Python binary installer as I suggested.

Phil

> On 21 Feb 2019, at 9:30 pm, Patrick Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Another roadblock in PyQt5 on “nmake install” (after hacking configure scripts Re: previous emails). It appears the path separators are mangled and also the debug_suffix is not applied.
>
> Just looking for how you do it without running into these problems. Thanks!
>

> b\site-packages\PyQt5\QtNetworkAuth.pyi
>        Z:\dev\vendor\sysroot-dev-win-32\Scripts\python_d.exe Z:\dev\vendor\sysroot-dev-win-32\build\PyQt5_gpl-5.11.3\mk_distinfo.py "" Z:\dev\vendor\sysroot-dev-win-32\Lib\site-packages\PyQt5-5.11.3.dist-info installed.txt
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "Z:\dev\vendor\sysroot-dev-win-32\build\PyQt5_gpl-5.11.3\mk_distinfo.py", line 108, in <module>
>    fn_f = open(fn, 'rb')
> FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'Z:\\dev\\vendor\\sysroot-dev-win-32\\Lib\\site-packages/PyQt5/QtCore.pyd'
>
>> On Feb 21, 2019, at 11:50 AM, Patrick Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Also, distutils.sysconfig doesn’t return a complete set of include paths for PyQt5’s configure.py; it leaves out Python-x.y.z\PC which contains pyconfig.h
>>
>> How do you get around this?
>>
>>> On Feb 21, 2019, at 10:24 AM, Patrick Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the tip on venv. I haven’t used it before.
>>>
>>> I am getting the following error after “python configure.py && nmake” in the sip dir:
>>>
>>> LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'python36.lib’
>>>
>>> What is the proper way to supply a lib dir? The file only exists in the PCBuild\win32 dir.

Re: Dev setup on windows

Patrick Stinson-3
Ah, thank you for reiterating that. I somehow missed that you wrote “binary installers” in your first reply.

> On Feb 21, 2019, at 2:17 PM, Phil Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So if you are using a debug version of Python you aren't using the Python binary installer as I suggested.
>
> Phil
>
>> On 21 Feb 2019, at 9:30 pm, Patrick Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Another roadblock in PyQt5 on “nmake install” (after hacking configure scripts Re: previous emails). It appears the path separators are mangled and also the debug_suffix is not applied.
>>
>> Just looking for how you do it without running into these problems. Thanks!
>>

>> b\site-packages\PyQt5\QtNetworkAuth.pyi
>>       Z:\dev\vendor\sysroot-dev-win-32\Scripts\python_d.exe Z:\dev\vendor\sysroot-dev-win-32\build\PyQt5_gpl-5.11.3\mk_distinfo.py "" Z:\dev\vendor\sysroot-dev-win-32\Lib\site-packages\PyQt5-5.11.3.dist-info installed.txt
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>> File "Z:\dev\vendor\sysroot-dev-win-32\build\PyQt5_gpl-5.11.3\mk_distinfo.py", line 108, in <module>
>>   fn_f = open(fn, 'rb')
>> FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'Z:\\dev\\vendor\\sysroot-dev-win-32\\Lib\\site-packages/PyQt5/QtCore.pyd'
>>
>>> On Feb 21, 2019, at 11:50 AM, Patrick Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Also, distutils.sysconfig doesn’t return a complete set of include paths for PyQt5’s configure.py; it leaves out Python-x.y.z\PC which contains pyconfig.h
>>>
>>> How do you get around this?

Re: Dev setup on windows

Patrick Stinson-3
FWIW, Everything worked but I had to configure sip like this to work with PyQt5:

python configure.py --sip-module=PyQt5.sip