Developing a MOOC with IPython notebooks

Developing a MOOC with IPython notebooks

Anton Akhmerov
Hi everyone,

I am a part of the team developing an EdX online course on topology in
condensed matter (see http://tiny.cc/topocm), and I'd like to ask
several IPython notebook questions.

We decided to develop the course predominantly using IPython/Jupyter
notebooks for several reasons. First and foremost, the notebooks are
really awesome; thanks to the team and community for developing this
great tool.
On a smaller scale, the notebooks allow to share content with people
not willing to register on EdX, to tightly integrate the programming
elements of the course with the rest of the content, and finally to
decouple the course development from the EdX studio.
We intend to develop all of the course as a bunch of IPython notebooks
and develop a custom tool that uses nbconvert to generate EdX folder +
xml + content course structure.
The reason why that last part is an advantage is because there is no
notion of version control in the studio, and it's a relatively
rudimentary tool with a heavy GUI.
In a longer term perspective we could also run a jupyterhub instance
to relieve the course users from the need to setup their own
programming environment (this doesn't seem to be an option right now
due to the time constraints).

So here go the questions:

* Is the rough release date for v3.0 known? There are several
important modifications to the notebook format that make this change
relevant for us. I also hear that the release is planned soon, so do
you aim for a release some time in January?
* What are the best practices for keeping notebooks in git? We've
found nbdiff, but it seems limited: for example it doesn't do anything
to diff markdown cells. Is there a better way?
* What are the current options for creating rich graphic content that
doesn't rely on having a live kernel? I know of mpld3, ipywidgets, and
bokeh. For us ipywidgets seem like the best solution so far, but it's
a pet project of Jake Vanderplas that didn't see any action in around
half a year. So I wonder if there is anything more alive in that
respect, that'd be great. Perhaps in v3?
* In general, do you have any further advice?

Thanks,
Anton Akhmerov

Re: Developing a MOOC with IPython notebooks

Matthias Bussonnier
Hi Anton,

Le 22 déc. 2014 à 15:32, Anton Akhmerov <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi everyone,

I am a part of the team developing an EdX online course on topology in
condensed matter (see http://tiny.cc/topocm), and I'd like to ask
several IPython notebook questions.

We decided to develop the course predominantly using IPython/Jupyter
notebooks for several reasons. First and foremost, the notebooks are
really awesome; thanks to the team and community for developing this
great tool.

Thanks !

On a smaller scale, the notebooks allow to share content with people
not willing to register on EdX, to tightly integrate the programming
elements of the course with the rest of the content, and finally to
decouple the course development from the EdX studio.
We intend to develop all of the course as a bunch of IPython notebooks
and develop a custom tool that uses nbconvert to generate EdX folder +
xml + content course structure.
The reason why that last part is an advantage is because there is no
notion of version control in the studio, and it's a relatively
rudimentary tool with a heavy GUI.
In a longer term perspective we could also run a jupyterhub instance
to relieve the course users from the need to setup their own
programming environment (this doesn't seem to be an option right now
due to the time constraints).

Great all this is good news, thanks for sharing !

* Is the rough release date for v3.0 known? There are several
important modifications to the notebook format that make this change
relevant for us. I also hear that the release is planned soon, so do
you aim for a release some time in January?

We are hopping for January, Yes.

* What are the best practices for keeping notebooks in git? We've
found nbdiff, but it seems limited: for example it doesn't do anything
to diff markdown cells. Is there a better way?

There is nbflatten from Thomas Kluyver:

though it is not perfect. We don't have good solution for now.

* What are the current options for creating rich graphic content that
doesn't rely on having a live kernel? I know of mpld3, ipywidgets, and
bokeh. For us ipywidgets seem like the best solution so far, but it's
a pet project of Jake Vanderplas that didn't see any action in around
half a year. So I wonder if there is anything more alive in that
respect, that'd be great. Perhaps in v3?

We have a draft of static widgets that record the cross product of all the state your
widget can take and could reply it on a static version, still this is pretty experimental
and require ill the computation to be done in advance by the kernel and stored,
which is limited.

Maybe other will have more input.

* In general, do you have any further advice?

Did you had a look at jupyter/nbgrader in the context of classes/courses it might be useful.
Keep  sending us feedback and use cases that will help us a lot in the future development.

I'm sure other will have more things to say, sorry not to have been of much help,
--
Matthias

Thanks,
Anton Akhmerov

Re: Developing a MOOC with IPython notebooks

rossant
Hi Anton,

> * What are the best practices for keeping notebooks in git? We've
> found nbdiff, but it seems limited: for example it doesn't do anything
> to diff markdown cells. Is there a better way?

I am currently working on a solution that basically replaces JSON
.ipynb by regular Markdown .md. You loose all metadata and outputs,
but you keep Markdown cells and the input of code cells. It is still
highly experimental and unstable, you'll find the code here:
https://github.com/rossant/ipymd/tree/support-atlas -- let me know if
you're interested in trying it out or contributing.

> * What are the current options for creating rich graphic content that
> doesn't rely on having a live kernel? I know of mpld3, ipywidgets, and
> bokeh. For us ipywidgets seem like the best solution so far, but it's
> a pet project of Jake Vanderplas that didn't see any action in around
> half a year. So I wonder if there is anything more alive in that
> respect, that'd be great. Perhaps in v3?

I'm also very interested in this use case, but as far as I know
there's nothing ready yet... We plan to support this in VisPy, but we
haven't started to work on it yet.

I suppose you could work something out based on tmpnb.org -- you get a
temporary live kernel in the cloud launched just for you.

Cyrille

Re: Developing a MOOC with IPython notebooks

Matthias Bussonnier

> I suppose you could work something out based on tmpnb.org -- you get a
> temporary live kernel in the cloud launched just for you.

This seem to be down just now, DNS issues, we are investigating.

> Cyrille

Re: Developing a MOOC with IPython notebooks

Andrew Odewahn
Hi, Anton.  I've been working on something along a similar line: running a Notebook kernel in a Docker container via tmpnb and then connecting to it via a widget.  This presentation has some of the details:

Like Cyrille Rossant's work, it's still very experimental, but I've been pleased with the results so far.  The biggest issues have been around getting it running for version 2 of the Notebook (currently it only works for version 1) and getting the CORS headers set up for tmpnb.

Andrew

ps -- here are a few examples of the output.  (It only works in Chrome right now due to the CORS issues):

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Cyrille Rossant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Anton,

> * What are the best practices for keeping notebooks in git? We've
> found nbdiff, but it seems limited: for example it doesn't do anything
> to diff markdown cells. Is there a better way?

I am currently working on a solution that basically replaces JSON
.ipynb by regular Markdown .md. You loose all metadata and outputs,
but you keep Markdown cells and the input of code cells. It is still
highly experimental and unstable, you'll find the code here:
https://github.com/rossant/ipymd/tree/support-atlas -- let me know if
you're interested in trying it out or contributing.

> * What are the current options for creating rich graphic content that
> doesn't rely on having a live kernel? I know of mpld3, ipywidgets, and
> bokeh. For us ipywidgets seem like the best solution so far, but it's
> a pet project of Jake Vanderplas that didn't see any action in around
> half a year. So I wonder if there is anything more alive in that
> respect, that'd be great. Perhaps in v3?

I'm also very interested in this use case, but as far as I know
there's nothing ready yet... We plan to support this in VisPy, but we
haven't started to work on it yet.

I suppose you could work something out based on tmpnb.org -- you get a
temporary live kernel in the cloud launched just for you.

Cyrille

Re: Developing a MOOC with IPython notebooks

William Stein
Hi,

I just (seconds ago) added the ability to publish IPython notebooks
from SageMathCloud (https://cloud.sagemath.com).  I've posted a quick
video I just made for you here illustrating how it works:

  http://youtu.be/QcOK-LRCW38

Basically:
   1. Create a SageMathCloud account, a new project, and upload or
create an ipython notebook.
   2. Click the "Publish" button in the upper right corner of the
IPython notebook.
   3. Share the link.
... or ...
  Since SageMathCloud projects *are* just full Linux accounts, you can
use the Terminal via +New --> Terminal, or just ssh in (as explained
in project settings), then directly run nbconvert with whatever
options you want.    Click the "i" to the left of any file or
directory tree to make it public.

SageMathCloud is kind of like http://tmpnb.org/, except it is a lot
less "tmp" -- every project is persistent, snapshotted every few
minutes (using bup), and there is chat, collaborators, simultaneous
editing for documents, etc.   It's all open source now [1], though the
free hosted environment itself is very powerful (with 19 dedicated
servers plus cloud compute resources).  We frequently had around 800
simultaneous running projects around finals recently...

[1] https://github.com/sagemath/cloud

William

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Andrew Odewahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, Anton.  I've been working on something along a similar line: running a
> Notebook kernel in a Docker container via tmpnb and then connecting to it
> via a widget.  This presentation has some of the details:
>
> http://odewahn.github.io/publishing-workflows-for-jupyter/#1
>
> Like Cyrille Rossant's work, it's still very experimental, but I've been
> pleased with the results so far.  The biggest issues have been around
> getting it running for version 2 of the Notebook (currently it only works
> for version 1) and getting the CORS headers set up for tmpnb.
>
> Andrew
>
> ps -- here are a few examples of the output.  (It only works in Chrome right
> now due to the CORS issues):
>
> http://sites.oreilly.com/odewahn/ipython-tutorial2/ch01.html
>
> http://sites.oreilly.com/odewahn/jem-test/ch01.html
>

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Cyrille Rossant
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Anton,
>>
>> > * What are the best practices for keeping notebooks in git? We've
>> > found nbdiff, but it seems limited: for example it doesn't do anything
>> > to diff markdown cells. Is there a better way?
>>
>> I am currently working on a solution that basically replaces JSON
>> .ipynb by regular Markdown .md. You loose all metadata and outputs,
>> but you keep Markdown cells and the input of code cells. It is still
>> highly experimental and unstable, you'll find the code here:
>> https://github.com/rossant/ipymd/tree/support-atlas -- let me know if
>> you're interested in trying it out or contributing.
>>
>> > * What are the current options for creating rich graphic content that
>> > doesn't rely on having a live kernel? I know of mpld3, ipywidgets, and
>> > bokeh. For us ipywidgets seem like the best solution so far, but it's
>> > a pet project of Jake Vanderplas that didn't see any action in around
>> > half a year. So I wonder if there is anything more alive in that
>> > respect, that'd be great. Perhaps in v3?
>>
>> I'm also very interested in this use case, but as far as I know
>> there's nothing ready yet... We plan to support this in VisPy, but we
>> haven't started to work on it yet.
>>
>> I suppose you could work something out based on tmpnb.org -- you get a
>> temporary live kernel in the cloud launched just for you.
>>
>> Cyrille

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington
http://wstein.org

Re: [sage-cloud] Re: Developing a MOOC with IPython notebooks

William Stein
On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 12:21 PM, c.d. mclean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> tmpnb.org also serves its notebooks with the option of connecting to a Julia
> kernel ...
>
> i have not yet watched the video yet, but i am hoping this is an option
> available with
> a few clicks.

Sadly, not quite yet...

> tmpnb.org also serves terminals with a few clicks ...
>

> some of us knew that SMC was already effectively ahead of the curve
> on this stuff; nicely done, William !!!

Thanks for the encouragement.

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington
http://wstein.org

Re: Developing a MOOC with IPython notebooks

Wes Turner
There was a thread a few days ago about "[IPython-dev] Making custom converter/template with nbconvert"
specifically in regards to generating edX OLX: http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-dev/2014-December/015576.html

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Wes Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There was a thread a few days ago about "[IPython-dev] Making custom
> converter/template with nbconvert"
> specifically in regards to generating edX OLX:
> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-dev/2014-December/015576.html

Right, that's another one of us; my questions are about other
features. It seems the converter is going to be working fine
eventually.

Anton

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 8:32 AM, Anton Akhmerov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I am a part of the team developing an EdX online course on topology in
>> condensed matter (see http://tiny.cc/topocm), and I'd like to ask
>> several IPython notebook questions.
>>
>> We decided to develop the course predominantly using IPython/Jupyter
>> notebooks for several reasons. First and foremost, the notebooks are
>> really awesome; thanks to the team and community for developing this
>> great tool.
>> On a smaller scale, the notebooks allow to share content with people
>> not willing to register on EdX, to tightly integrate the programming
>> elements of the course with the rest of the content, and finally to
>> decouple the course development from the EdX studio.
>> We intend to develop all of the course as a bunch of IPython notebooks
>> and develop a custom tool that uses nbconvert to generate EdX folder +
>> xml + content course structure.
>> The reason why that last part is an advantage is because there is no
>> notion of version control in the studio, and it's a relatively
>> rudimentary tool with a heavy GUI.
>> In a longer term perspective we could also run a jupyterhub instance
>> to relieve the course users from the need to setup their own
>> programming environment (this doesn't seem to be an option right now
>> due to the time constraints).
>>
>> So here go the questions:
>>
>> * Is the rough release date for v3.0 known? There are several
>> important modifications to the notebook format that make this change
>> relevant for us. I also hear that the release is planned soon, so do
>> you aim for a release some time in January?
>> * What are the best practices for keeping notebooks in git? We've
>> found nbdiff, but it seems limited: for example it doesn't do anything
>> to diff markdown cells. Is there a better way?
>> * What are the current options for creating rich graphic content that
>> doesn't rely on having a live kernel? I know of mpld3, ipywidgets, and
>> bokeh. For us ipywidgets seem like the best solution so far, but it's
>> a pet project of Jake Vanderplas that didn't see any action in around
>> half a year. So I wonder if there is anything more alive in that
>> respect, that'd be great. Perhaps in v3?
>> * In general, do you have any further advice?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Anton Akhmerov

Re: Developing a MOOC with IPython notebooks

Anton Akhmerov
On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Matthias Bussonnier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is nbflatten from Thomas Kluyver:
> https://gist.github.com/takluyver/bc8f3275c7d34abb68bf
>
> though it is not perfect. We don't have good solution for now.

Yeah, it suggests nbdif for merging, so I guess we'll just use nbdiff for now.

> We have a draft of static widgets that record the cross product of all the
> state your
> widget can take and could reply it on a static version, still this is pretty
> experimental
> and require ill the computation to be done in advance by the kernel and
> stored,
> which is limited.

That's actually quite ok, do you have any pointers? Are there already PR's?

> Did you had a look at jupyter/nbgrader in the context of classes/courses it
> might be useful.

I know of nbgrader, but I don't think it will play nicely with EdX.

> Keep  sending us feedback and use cases that will help us a lot in the
> future development.

Will do, certainly.

Best,
Anton

> I'm sure other will have more things to say, sorry not to have been of much
> help,
> --
> Matthias
>

> Thanks,
> Anton Akhmerov

Re: Developing a MOOC with IPython notebooks

Anton Akhmerov
Hi Andrew,

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 6:53 PM, Andrew Odewahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, Anton.  I've been working on something along a similar line: running a
> Notebook kernel in a Docker container via tmpnb and then connecting to it
> via a widget.  This presentation has some of the details:

I checked out the stuff. Looks very promising, but by the looks of it,
we won't be able to set up anything like this with reasonable
stability and within our time scale.
Is there a repository, or any other source to stay up to date on the
status of your work?

Anton

 On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 7:39 PM, William Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just (seconds ago) added the ability to publish IPython notebooks
> from SageMathCloud (https://cloud.sagemath.com).

Actually I should've considered SMC. Looking at the FAQ, it seems that
it is suitable for most our needs, the only unclear thing being the
software setup.
Basically in addition to the regular scipy-stack we also need the
kwant package (http://kwant-project.org), which is in pypi.
Unfortunately it also requires the MUMPS linear algebra package, so
overall the installation process would be somewhat involved I imagine.

Do you know if we would be able to set it up, so that the course users
wouldn't have a need to install Kwant separately?

Some extra questions: Is it possible use single cell servers with
custom code pre-executed? Is it possible to embed those in an IFrame?

Thanks,
Anton

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Andrew Odewahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi, Anton.  I've been working on something along a similar line: running a
>> Notebook kernel in a Docker container via tmpnb and then connecting to it
>> via a widget.  This presentation has some of the details:
>>
>> http://odewahn.github.io/publishing-workflows-for-jupyter/#1
>>
>> Like Cyrille Rossant's work, it's still very experimental, but I've been
>> pleased with the results so far.  The biggest issues have been around
>> getting it running for version 2 of the Notebook (currently it only works
>> for version 1) and getting the CORS headers set up for tmpnb.
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> ps -- here are a few examples of the output.  (It only works in Chrome right
>> now due to the CORS issues):
>>
>> http://sites.oreilly.com/odewahn/ipython-tutorial2/ch01.html
>>
>> http://sites.oreilly.com/odewahn/jem-test/ch01.html
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Cyrille Rossant
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Anton,

>>> I am currently working on a solution that basically replaces JSON
>>> .ipynb by regular Markdown .md. You loose all metadata and outputs,
>>> but you keep Markdown cells and the input of code cells. It is still
>>> highly experimental and unstable, you'll find the code here:
>>> https://github.com/rossant/ipymd/tree/support-atlas -- let me know if
>>> you're interested in trying it out or contributing.

>>> I'm also very interested in this use case, but as far as I know
>>> there's nothing ready yet... We plan to support this in VisPy, but we
>>> haven't started to work on it yet.
>>>
>>> I suppose you could work something out based on tmpnb.org -- you get a
>>> temporary live kernel in the cloud launched just for you.
>>>
>>> Cyrille

> William Stein
> Professor of Mathematics
> University of Washington
> http://wstein.org

Re: Developing a MOOC with IPython notebooks

William Stein
On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 4:46 AM, Anton Akhmerov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 7:39 PM, William Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just (seconds ago) added the ability to publish IPython notebooks
>> from SageMathCloud (https://cloud.sagemath.com).
>
> Actually I should've considered SMC. Looking at the FAQ, it seems that
> it is suitable for most our needs, the only unclear thing being the
> software setup.
> Basically in addition to the regular scipy-stack we also need the
> kwant package (http://kwant-project.org), which is in pypi.

Since it was so easy, kwant is now installed for all SMC projects:

  https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/4a5f0542-5873-4eed-a85c-a18c706e8bcd/files/support/2014-12-23-kwant.html

Note: on import of kwant, it says "RuntimeWarning: The installed SciPy
does not use UMFPACK. Instead, SciPy will use the version of SuperLu
it is shipped with. Performance can be very poor in this case."   Can
you run tests and let me know if this is a problem?  If you know how
to rebuild scipy so it uses UMFPACK, I can fix this, of course.  (With
Sage -- which I know much better than scipy -- there are a million
subtle performance dependencies like this, and it's best to get
feedback from an expert when one hits one of them.)

> Unfortunately it also requires the MUMPS linear algebra package, so
> overall the installation process would be somewhat involved I imagine.
>
> Do you know if we would be able to set it up, so that the course users
> wouldn't have a need to install Kwant separately?

Regarding kwant -- done!

Regarding MUMPS, is that this somewhat strange seeming "public-domain"
library, where you fill out a form and get an email link?

    http://mumps.enseeiht.fr/index.php?page=dwnld#license

Anyway, my model with SMC is to pre-install a very wide range of
packages, available for everybody, motivated by what people need.    I
have a script [1] that installs everything into a custom Python
install (=Sage), each time I upgrade to a new version (though I leave
the old versions in case people need them).

> Some extra questions: Is it possible use single cell servers with
> custom code pre-executed?
>  Is it possible to embed those in an IFrame?

I don't know -- I've cc'd Andrey and Jason, the single cell server
devs, and the sage-cell mailng list.

[1] https://github.com/sagemath/cloud/blob/master/build.py

William

> Thanks,
> Anton
>
>> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Andrew Odewahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi, Anton.  I've been working on something along a similar line: running a
>>> Notebook kernel in a Docker container via tmpnb and then connecting to it
>>> via a widget.  This presentation has some of the details:
>>>
>>> http://odewahn.github.io/publishing-workflows-for-jupyter/#1
>>>
>>> Like Cyrille Rossant's work, it's still very experimental, but I've been
>>> pleased with the results so far.  The biggest issues have been around
>>> getting it running for version 2 of the Notebook (currently it only works
>>> for version 1) and getting the CORS headers set up for tmpnb.
>>>
>>> Andrew
>>>
>>> ps -- here are a few examples of the output.  (It only works in Chrome right
>>> now due to the CORS issues):
>>>
>>> http://sites.oreilly.com/odewahn/ipython-tutorial2/ch01.html
>>>
>>> http://sites.oreilly.com/odewahn/jem-test/ch01.html

>> --
>> William Stein
>> Professor of Mathematics
>> University of Washington
>> http://wstein.org

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington
http://wstein.org

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 8:00 AM, William Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 4:46 AM, Anton Akhmerov
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 7:39 PM, William Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just (seconds ago) added the ability to publish IPython notebooks
>>> from SageMathCloud (https://cloud.sagemath.com).
>>
>> Actually I should've considered SMC. Looking at the FAQ, it seems that
>> it is suitable for most our needs, the only unclear thing being the
>> software setup.
>> Basically in addition to the regular scipy-stack we also need the
>> kwant package (http://kwant-project.org), which is in pypi.
>
> Since it was so easy, kwant is now installed for all SMC projects:
>
>   https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/4a5f0542-5873-4eed-a85c-a18c706e8bcd/files/support/2014-12-23-kwant.html
>

> Note: on import of kwant, it says "RuntimeWarning: The installed SciPy
> does not use UMFPACK. Instead, SciPy will use the version of SuperLu
> it is shipped with. Performance can be very poor in this case."   Can
> you run tests and let me know if this is a problem?  If you know how
> to rebuild scipy so it uses UMFPACK, I can fix this, of course.  (With
> Sage -- which I know much better than scipy -- there are a million
> subtle performance dependencies like this, and it's best to get
> feedback from an expert when one hits one of them.)

Hi,

I removed the pip version and installed Kwant system-wide using the
Ubuntu Packages suggested at http://kwant-project.org/install

Now kwant works fine without the UMFPACK warning.

 --  William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 5:48 PM, William Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I removed the pip version and installed Kwant system-wide using the
> Ubuntu Packages suggested at http://kwant-project.org/install
>
> Now kwant works fine without the UMFPACK warning.

Perfect, this means that also MUMPS is installed through the Ubuntu
repos (it's actually indeed public domain, they just want to collect
user emails).
Sadly Umfpack in Scipy is now gone due to software rot and GPL <->
Python world incompatibility.

Thanks a lot for providing Kwant in SMC. This makes SMC really useful
both for the Kwant team and the MOOC I'm organizing.

Anton

>  --  William
>

>>> Unfortunately it also requires the MUMPS linear algebra package, so
>>> overall the installation process would be somewhat involved I imagine.
>>>
>>> Do you know if we would be able to set it up, so that the course users
>>> wouldn't have a need to install Kwant separately?
>>
>> Regarding kwant -- done!
>>
>> Regarding MUMPS, is that this somewhat strange seeming "public-domain"
>> library, where you fill out a form and get an email link?
>>
>>     http://mumps.enseeiht.fr/index.php?page=dwnld#license
>>
>> Anyway, my model with SMC is to pre-install a very wide range of
>> packages, available for everybody, motivated by what people need.    I
>> have a script [1] that installs everything into a custom Python
>> install (=Sage), each time I upgrade to a new version (though I leave
>> the old versions in case people need them).
>>
>>> Some extra questions: Is it possible use single cell servers with
>>> custom code pre-executed?
>>>  Is it possible to embed those in an IFrame?
>>
>> I don't know -- I've cc'd Andrey and Jason, the single cell server
>> devs, and the sage-cell mailng list.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/sagemath/cloud/blob/master/build.py
>>
>> William
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Anton

>> --
>> William Stein
>> Professor of Mathematics
>> University of Washington
>> http://wstein.org
>

> --
> William Stein
> Professor of Mathematics
> University of Washington
> http://wstein.org

Re: Developing a MOOC with IPython notebooks

William Stein
On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 8:53 AM, Anton Akhmerov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 5:48 PM, William Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I removed the pip version and installed Kwant system-wide using the
>> Ubuntu Packages suggested at http://kwant-project.org/install
>>
>> Now kwant works fine without the UMFPACK warning.
>
> Perfect, this means that also MUMPS is installed through the Ubuntu
> repos (it's actually indeed public domain, they just want to collect
> user emails).
> Sadly Umfpack in Scipy is now gone due to software rot and GPL <->
> Python world incompatibility.
>
> Thanks a lot for providing Kwant in SMC. This makes SMC really useful
> both for the Kwant team and the MOOC I'm organizing.

You're very welcome.  Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any
additional SMC-related needs!

 -- William

> Anton
>
>>  --  William

>>> Regarding kwant -- done!
>>>
>>> Regarding MUMPS, is that this somewhat strange seeming "public-domain"
>>> library, where you fill out a form and get an email link?
>>>
>>>     http://mumps.enseeiht.fr/index.php?page=dwnld#license
>>>
>>> Anyway, my model with SMC is to pre-install a very wide range of
>>> packages, available for everybody, motivated by what people need.    I
>>> have a script [1] that installs everything into a custom Python
>>> install (=Sage), each time I upgrade to a new version (though I leave
>>> the old versions in case people need them).

>>> I don't know -- I've cc'd Andrey and Jason, the single cell server
>>> devs, and the sage-cell mailng list.
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/sagemath/cloud/blob/master/build.py
>>>
>>> William

>>> --