Did the 3.4.4 docs get published early?

Nicholas Chammas
For example, here is a "New in version 3.4.4" method:

https://docs.python.org/3/library/asyncio-task.html#asyncio.ensure_future

However, the latest release appears to be 3.4.3:

https://www.python.org/downloads/

Is this normal, or did the 3.4.4 docs somehow get published early by
mistake?

Nick
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Did the 3.4.4 docs get published early?

Mark Lawrence
On 10/06/2015 15:11, Nicholas Chammas wrote:

> For example, here is a "New in version 3.4.4" method:
>
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/asyncio-task.html#asyncio.ensure_future
>
> However, the latest release appears to be 3.4.3:
>
> https://www.python.org/downloads/
>
> Is this normal, or did the 3.4.4 docs somehow get published early by
> mistake?
>
> Nick

I suspect that this is due to a trainee pilot being let loose too early
with the time machine.  Failing that finger trouble when doing a commit.
  Thinking about it more likely the former rather than the latter :)

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

Did the 3.4.4 docs get published early?

Zachary Ware-2
On Jun 10, 2015 9:41 AM, "Mark Lawrence" <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 10/06/2015 15:11, Nicholas Chammas wrote:
>>
>> For example, here is a "New in version 3.4.4" method:
>>
>> https://docs.python.org/3/library/asyncio-task.html#asyncio.ensure_future
>>
>> However, the latest release appears to be 3.4.3:
>>
>> https://www.python.org/downloads/
>>
>> Is this normal, or did the 3.4.4 docs somehow get published early by
>> mistake?
>>
>> Nick
>>

> I suspect that this is due to a trainee pilot being let loose too early
with the time machine.  Failing that finger trouble when doing a commit.
Thinking about it more likely the former rather than the latter :)

Actually, it's just that the online docs reflect the latest documentation
from a particular branch of the source repository, since the docs are
continually improving and have no backwards compatibility constraints. This
does mean we sometimes have anomalies like this, though.

If you truly need the docs as they were at the time of release, they are
available, though I don't have a link handy on my phone.

--
Zach
(On a phone)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Did the 3.4.4 docs get published early?

Jonas Wielicki
On 10.06.2015 17:05, Zachary Ware wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2015 9:41 AM, "Mark Lawrence" <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/06/2015 15:11, Nicholas Chammas wrote:
>>>
>>> For example, here is a "New in version 3.4.4" method:
>>>
>>> https://docs.python.org/3/library/asyncio-task.html#asyncio.ensure_future
>>>
>>> However, the latest release appears to be 3.4.3:
>>>
>>> https://www.python.org/downloads/
>>>
>>> Is this normal, or did the 3.4.4 docs somehow get published early by
>>> mistake?
>>>
>>> Nick
>>>

>> I suspect that this is due to a trainee pilot being let loose too early
> with the time machine.  Failing that finger trouble when doing a commit.
> Thinking about it more likely the former rather than the latter :)
>>

> Actually, it's just that the online docs reflect the latest documentation
> from a particular branch of the source repository, since the docs are
> continually improving and have no backwards compatibility constraints. This
> does mean we sometimes have anomalies like this, though.
>
> If you truly need the docs as they were at the time of release, they are
> available, though I don't have a link handy on my phone.

You can (with javascript enabled) select the version for the docs at the
top right of the page. Also, just replacing the version number in the
URL works for the python 3 series (use 3.X even for python 3.0), even
farther back than the drop down menu allows.

regards,
jwi

Did the 3.4.4 docs get published early?

Nicholas Chammas
Also, just replacing the version number in the URL works for the python 3
series (use 3.X even for python 3.0), even farther back than the drop down
menu allows.

This does not help in this case:

https://docs.python.org/3.4/library/asyncio-task.html#asyncio.ensure_future

Also, you cannot select the docs for a maintenance release, like 3.4.3.

Anyway, it?s not a big deal as long as significant changes are tagged
appropriately with notes like ?New in version NNN?, which they are.

Ideally, the docs would only show the latest changes for released versions
of Python, but since some changes (like the one I linked to) are introduced
in maintenance versions, it?s probably hard to separate them out into
separate branches.

Nick
?

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 10:11 AM Nicholas Chammas <
nicholas.chammas at gmail.com> wrote:

> For example, here is a "New in version 3.4.4" method:
>
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/asyncio-task.html#asyncio.ensure_future
>
> However, the latest release appears to be 3.4.3:
>
> https://www.python.org/downloads/
>
> Is this normal, or did the 3.4.4 docs somehow get published early by
> mistake?
>
> Nick

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Did the 3.4.4 docs get published early?

Nicholas Chammas
Sorry, somehow the formatting in my previous email didn't come through
correctly.

This part was supposed to be in a quote block:

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 2:25 PM Nicholas Chammas <nicholas.chammas at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Also, just replacing the version number in the URL works for the python 3
> series (use 3.X even for python 3.0), even farther back than the drop down
> menu allows.
>
> This does not help in this case:
>
> https://docs.python.org/3.4/library/asyncio-task.html#asyncio.ensure_future
>
> Also, you cannot select the docs for a maintenance release, like 3.4.3.
>
> Anyway, it?s not a big deal as long as significant changes are tagged
> appropriately with notes like ?New in version NNN?, which they are.
>
> Ideally, the docs would only show the latest changes for released versions
> of Python, but since some changes (like the one I linked to) are introduced
> in maintenance versions, it?s probably hard to separate them out into
> separate branches.
>
> Nick
> ?
>
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 10:11 AM Nicholas Chammas <
> nicholas.chammas at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For example, here is a "New in version 3.4.4" method:
>>
>> https://docs.python.org/3/library/asyncio-task.html#asyncio.ensure_future
>>
>> However, the latest release appears to be 3.4.3:
>>
>> https://www.python.org/downloads/
>>
>> Is this normal, or did the 3.4.4 docs somehow get published early by
>> mistake?
>>
>> Nick

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Did the 3.4.4 docs get published early?

Terry Reedy
On 6/10/2015 10:11 AM, Nicholas Chammas wrote:

> For example, here is a "New in version 3.4.4" method:
>
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/asyncio-task.html#asyncio.ensure_future
>
> However, the latest release appears to be 3.4.3:
>
> https://www.python.org/downloads/
>
> Is this normal, or did the 3.4.4 docs somehow get published early by
> mistake?

The online x.y docs reflect the x.y branch in the repository.  New
features are not normally added in an x.y.z maintenance release, which
is normally bugfixes only.  However, asyncio is a new module in 3.4 and
marked as 'provisional', which means subject to change during the 3.4
series of releases. Idle is also exceptional in getting uncategorized
changes in maintenance releases, so each x.y.z release needs a copy of
the Idle doc chapter that is both up-to-date and frozen as of x.y.z.
Making this happen is still a work-in-progress.

--
Terry Jan Reedy