Django Version 3.2 Roadmap

Carlton Gibson-3
Hi all.

I've prepared a draft of the Roadmap for Django 3.2 here:

https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Version3.2Roadmap

Following the established release cadence, Django 3.2 will be due in April 2021.

The key dates are these.

=================  ======================================================
January 14, 2021   Django 3.2 alpha; feature freeze.

February 18        Django 3.2 beta; non-release blocking bug fix freeze.

March 18           Django 3.2 RC 1; translation string freeze.

April 1            Django 3.2 final
=================  ======================================================

In accordance with DEP 10, I'd like to ask the Technical Board to review this when able, and approve it or suggest adjustments if needed.

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Carlton

Re: Django Version 3.2 Roadmap

Adam Johnson-2
Hi Carlton

This looks good to me, it fits the preset release cadence. Although the final release will be on "April fools day," it's something we've done several times before.

I edited the wiki page slightly to rename "committer" to "merger" in accordance with DEP 10.

Thanks,

Adam

On 13 May 2020, at 16:40, Adam Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I edited the wiki page slightly to rename "committer" to "merger" in accordance with DEP 10.

Ah, yes. Good catch. Thank you!

Re: Django Version 3.2 Roadmap

Markus Holtermann
Hi Carlton,

thank you. The proposal looks good to me. +1

Cheers,

Markus

On Wed, May 13, 2020, at 2:51 PM, Carlton Gibson wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I've prepared a draft of the Roadmap for Django 3.2 here:
>
> https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Version3.2Roadmap
>
> Following the established release cadence, Django 3.2 will be due in
> April 2021.
>
> The key dates are these.
>
> `
> ================= ======================================================
> January 14, 2021 Django 3.2 alpha; feature freeze.
>
> February 18 Django 3.2 beta; non-release blocking bug fix freeze.
>
> March 18 Django 3.2 RC 1; translation string freeze.
>
> April 1 Django 3.2 final
> ================= ======================================================
> `
>
> In accordance with DEP 10, I'd like to ask the Technical Board to
> review this when able, and approve it or suggest adjustments if needed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Carlton
>

>  --
> an email to [hidden email].
>  To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/d19d3303-34aa-4e87-b867-04e7b48f81a5%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/d19d3303-34aa-4e87-b867-04e7b48f81a5%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Re: Django Version 3.2 Roadmap

Florian Apolloner
On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 4:40:55 PM UTC+2, Adam Johnson wrote:
This looks good to me, it fits the preset release cadence. Although the final release will be on "April fools day," it's something we've done several times before.

While we might have done it (did we actually do that several times before?), I'd like to suggest moving it  to April 10th. (or whatever suits us). Every year the first of April seems to be a high tension day, if there is no necessity to release on such a day I'd strongly recommend against it. It is just easier on the brain if you read a news article and you don't have to decide if it is a possible prank simply because it is fools day. I realize that you cannot trust news any other day either, by why pile onto that if you don't have a reason…

Re: Django Version 3.2 Roadmap

Carlton Gibson-3
I’d probably just push it for the 6th in this case, after the weekend.

(I obviously live a sheltered life: April fools never occurred to me... 😳)

On Thu, 14 May 2020 at 00:02, Florian Apolloner <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From https://pypi.org/project/Django/#history , the following feature versions were released on April 1:
  • 2.2
  • 1.8
And these minor versions:
  • 3.0.5
  • 2.2.12
  • 2.1.8
  • 1.9.5
  • 1.8.12
I’d probably just push it for the 6th in this case, after the weekend.

+1 for that.

Florian's right, it can be a high tension day, and we don't want to get lost in the noise.

On Thu, 14 May 2020 at 06:22, Carlton Gibson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

charettes
Proposal looks good to me.

+1 to moving to the 6th of April, I remember it caused a bit of confusion in the past and we should avoid that particularly for a LTS release.

Thanks Carlton.

Le mercredi 13 mai 2020 11:08:18 UTC-4, Markus Holtermann a écrit :
Hi Carlton,

thank you. The proposal looks good to me. +1

Cheers,

Markus

On Wed, May 13, 2020, at 2:51 PM, Carlton Gibson wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I've prepared a draft of the Roadmap for Django 3.2 here:

> Following the established release cadence, Django 3.2 will be due in
> April 2021.
>
> The key dates are these.
>
> `
> ================= ======================================================
> January 14, 2021 Django 3.2 alpha; feature freeze.
>
> February 18 Django 3.2 beta; non-release blocking bug fix freeze.
>
> March 18 Django 3.2 RC 1; translation string freeze.
>
> April 1 Django 3.2 final
> ================= ======================================================
> `
>
> In accordance with DEP 10, I'd like to ask the Technical Board to
> review this when able, and approve it or suggest adjustments if needed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Carlton
>

>  --
>  To view this discussion on the web visit

Re: Django Version 3.2 Roadmap

Carlton Gibson-3
OK, thanks thus far all. I've bumped the final release date to April 6 2021.

(I left the other dates as were: a handful of extra days over the weekend there will be a nice to have when they arrive :)

C.