Django + views like a threads

pako

It is possible to run view method in new thread?
For example if i have

(r'^items/(?P<category>\d)/$', 'cyber.core.views.list_items')

and function list_items do sleep(10) a new requests to django
application will not be acceptable, cause main thread is currently
sleeping by list_items function.
So any ideas?

(sorry for poor english)

Re: Django + views like a threads

orestis-2

Why do you sleep(10) ? I can't think of any possible reason...

orestis wrote:
> Why do you sleep(10) ? I can't think of any possible reason...

It's only example which is simulating very big system load. I want to
create application which will be creating threads with nonblocking
tasks list (in queue). If application has new request - he's adding new
task to list, but previous tasks can be not completed.
It's hard to describe...

Re: Django + views like a threads

Malcolm Tredinnick

On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 11:18 -0700, pako wrote:
> It is possible to run view method in new thread?
> For example if i have
>
> (r'^items/(?P<category>\d)/$', 'cyber.core.views.list_items')
>
> and function list_items do sleep(10) a new requests to django
> application will not be acceptable, cause main thread is currently
> sleeping by list_items function.
> So any ideas?

No, Django doesn't have a built-in facility to do this. It just doesn't
make a lot of sense for the web-page presentation side of a framework.

If you have a task that is going to do a heavy computation, it is up to
you to fork off a new process or run it in a thread. Since you can put
anything you like in your view, this means you can choose whatever
library or code you want to manage this dispatching.

Regards,
Malcolm

Re: Django + views like a threads

Gábor Farkas

pako wrote:

> It is possible to run view method in new thread?
> For example if i have
>
> (r'^items/(?P<category>\d)/$', 'cyber.core.views.list_items')
>
> and function list_items do sleep(10) a new requests to django
> application will not be acceptable, cause main thread is currently
> sleeping by list_items function.
> So any ideas?
>
> (sorry for poor english)

hi,

what you describe is usually solved in a different way.

simply the webserver that is calling the django-views will already be
doing it from multiple processes or threads (depends on your webserver +
configuration), so it does not have to be handled on the django-level.

gabor

gabor wrote:

> pako wrote:
> > It is possible to run view method in new thread?
> > For example if i have
> >
> > (r'^items/(?P<category>\d)/$', 'cyber.core.views.list_items')
> >
> > and function list_items do sleep(10) a new requests to django
> > application will not be acceptable, cause main thread is currently
> > sleeping by list_items function.
> > So any ideas?
> >
> > (sorry for poor english)
> >

> hi,
>
> what you describe is usually solved in a different way.
>

> simply the webserver that is calling the django-views will already be
> doing it from multiple processes or threads (depends on your webserver +
> configuration), so it does not have to be handled on the django-level.

Yes, you've right. I see it now. Problem was when i was testing only by
django httpd server. I tested my application on apache2 and it works
fine. Thx.